Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 160 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #181
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
And I so identify with poor ol Fawlty !
Wanganui does have a bit of a Torquay flavour to it!

03-30-2020, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine is a combo of the first two letters of my first and middle name + my fav number for when I used to play baseball (youth). Nothing fancy, I use it everywhere, even in reddit where one is supposed to be anonymous.
07-14-2020, 05:39 AM - 2 Likes   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is quite simple really, I was born in the county of Wiltshire, England 😁
07-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #184
maw
Pentaxian

Very simple, mine is an anagram of the first three letters of my three names, a horrible result but it's gone. Mario - Antonio - Walter = MAW

07-18-2020, 06:14 PM - 3 Likes   #185
Loyal Site Supporter

I can’t believe I missed this thread the first time around. I suppose I might have been banned at the time.
Anyway, probably 20 years ago, I was having a rather long and somewhat heated argument with a fellow on the PDML. He decided to be insulting, though knowing me I started it, and called me “Wheatfield Willie”. I decided that rather than be offended, I would just own it, so for quite sometime I signed my posts Wheatfield Willie, and then shortened it to WW.
When I joined up here, I brought Wheatfield with me.
By rights, I should be Canola Willie, it would be more accurate, but it doesn’t roll off the tongue as well.
07-19-2020, 08:52 PM - 2 Likes   #186
Veteran Member

I like sloths and I think too much.
07-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #187
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
By rights, I should be Canola Willie, it would be more accurate, but it doesn’t roll off the tongue as well.

07-20-2020, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine's easy. Back when I was playing World of Warcraft more than a decade ago the good old "Punch the keyboard, see what happens" method of naming characters wasn't working too well, so I just went with one of the characters from A Song of Ice and Fire. Since it ended up being my most played character, everyone on voice chat just started referring to me as Serkevan (or Serk, which is kinda missing the point of the name but sounds cool )... so I stuck with it more or less everywhere.
07-20-2020, 06:22 AM - 3 Likes   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I missed this thread until now!

Mine's pretty obvious - I'm a (retired) radio astronomer, and my name is Dave. Put 'em together and what do you get: AstroDave.

I use this other places, too, as my login name.
07-20-2020, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

I can’t believe I missed this thread the first time around. I suppose I might have been banned at the time.
Anyway, probably 20 years ago, I was having a rather long and somewhat heated argument with a fellow on the PDML. He decided to be insulting, though knowing me I started it, and called me “Wheatfield Willie”. I decided that rather than be offended, I would just own it, so for quite sometime I signed my posts Wheatfield Willie, and then shortened it to WW.
When I joined up here, I brought Wheatfield with me.
I like the name. It reminds me of my past....or part of my past.

Having spent a chunk of life on Canadian prairie fields, driving grain trucks ......International, Fargo (Dodge to non Canadians) , Ford, Chevy....during an earlier time., I know all about wheat fields, etc....either driving on them, alongside combines, sitting in trucks on the fields...waiting for a flash of light (signal to get the truck to the combine) late in the evening. Or sitting in the hot truck cab trying to do school work...while glancing up occasionally to see if I was needed..

No power brakes, power steering, no A/C, no automatic transmission. I'm not whining...well maybe I am about the lack of power steering and A/C.
07-20-2020, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I like the name. It reminds me of my past....or part of my past.

Having spent a chunk of life on Canadian prairie fields, driving grain trucks ......International, Fargo (Dodge to non Canadians) , Ford, Chevy....during an earlier time., I know all about wheat fields, etc....either driving on them, alongside combines, sitting in trucks on the fields...waiting for a flash of light (signal to get the truck to the combine) late in the evening. Or sitting in the hot truck cab trying to do school work...while glancing up occasionally to see if I was needed..

No power brakes, power steering, no A/C, no automatic transmission. I'm not whining...well maybe I am about the lack of power steering and A/C.
My very first truck was a 1965 International corn-binder. IIRC, it had a 360 CID V8, it was a three on the tree with no power anything except the engine, which was around 10 horsepower and about a million Lb/Ft of torque. I bought it from my father in law, who had abandoned it in the field beside his house after he had finished using it for what he wanted it for. The mice had eaten much of what was edible under the hood, but I put a couple of hundred dollars into it and got it running pretty decently. The only real problems I had with it, and was unable to solve was the surprise steering. One could be happily driving down the street and SURPRISE, it would change lanes. It was pretty dangerous to drive in traffic for that reason, and it used nearly as much oil as it did gas, but it was a truck and that was all that mattered to me.
07-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the coolest thread ever. Can we make it some requirement that your forum name needs an explanation?!

I would also like to be able to tell more about where somebody is located in their forum information. At some point (i.e when the Covid-19 situation (almost mis-printed 2029! - I hope not!!) is under control), I have this hope/desire to go visit various members for a beer/lunch. I can understand a desire to remain rather anonymous, but ... if you'd like to chit-chat with other forum members, I think it would be neat if we could arrange a hook-up in the local neighborhood.
07-20-2020, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #193
Pentaxian

My very first truck was a 1965 International corn-binder. IIRC, it had a 360 CID V8, it was a three on the tree with no power anything except the engine, which was around 10 horsepower and about a million Lb/Ft of torque. I bought it from my father in law, who had abandoned it in the field beside his house after he had finished using it for what he wanted it for. The mice had eaten much of what was edible under the hood, but I put a couple of hundred dollars into it and got it running pretty decently. The only real problems I had with it, and was unable to solve was the surprise steering. One could be happily driving down the street and SURPRISE, it would change lanes. It was pretty dangerous to drive in traffic for that reason, and it used nearly as much oil as it did gas, but it was a truck and that was all that mattered to me.
The old cornbinders. Really tough engines...and components. I recall a mechanic telling me that the IH engines had a high nickel content in the block....one of the factors that added to the robust build of these vehicles.

The IH we had at the farm was around a '51 and it was a former City of Winnipeg dump truck. My FIL (his farm-SW Mb.) had attached 3/4 inch plywood sides to the metal dump box, to give it more capacity. At the top of the wooden sides he had attached three heavy chains that crossed the divide, and provided extra support to the added sides. The engine was a OHV straight six cylinder. It always started, always pulled hard and it was also a torquey engine, not so much in the way of horsepower and it would pull overloads reasonably well.

I liked it.....non synchromesh gears or not and shifting gears in this truck (and our '48 Fargo for that matter ) really improved my shifting accuracy/speed. If I muffed a shift from first to second, the truck with a full load would come to an immediate stop . I avoided that by keeping the engine revving, shifting quickly. Also improved my double clutch skills....otherwise it would graunch. I took pride on not abusing the machinery and generally I was fairly 'graunchless' in my driving.

The farm is long gone and I miss those days now. In fact I still like to drive down prairie country back roads, checking out crops , looking for abandoned machinery to take pix of...etc. We do a fair amount of crossing the Mb, Sask, Alberta back and forth....visiting relatives...and one of my favourite pastimes is doing just this....driving down back roads.
07-20-2020, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #194
Pentaxian

DSTAR my favorite hockey team
Dallas Star
07-20-2020, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #195
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe I haven't replied to this thread before. My username dates back into early days of internet. When I entered univercity they gave username's and email based on max of 8 letters starting with first letter of first name and then as much of the last name as possible. Luckily there was enough space for my last name in full.

Later I have been using it often when I don't mind being recognized. It's handy cause it's unique and therefore always free. So far I haven't found an other iheiramo in the world. Even Heiramo is pretty rare as there currently is only 11 of them. Mostly my family + couple of fathers cousins and their wifes and an ex.