Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #106
Veteran Member

I've had mine for a while now ... yes it is automotive based ... although I am not one though.
Started at school mainly ... I have always been a car fanatic ... and used to fix prioblems with mates cars (seemed to be better at troubleshooting trick issues that they couldn't).

I decided to change it around slightly to make it different enough for it not to be really copied ... also being in IT ... it's something I do with passwords just to make it a little harder to crack.

I am still into cars ... but not as much in the mechanical side of things ... I still work on mine as much as I can ... but get lazy ... I do have a very good mechanic though that lets me work on my cars in his shop ... and give him a hand while I am there if he is flat chat too.

02-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #107
Forum Member

Mine is simply a nick that I've had ever since I have worked in construction (which is quite some time, despite my age). For some reason, the only nickname a construction worker can formulate is a shortened version of your given name. Aren't we an imaginative lot? It may have to do with the fact that you need something short to yell and easily heard over the usual roar of a construction site. At times you just HAVE to get someone's attention.

The only other real lasting nickname I have ever had is Littleman. From the day I was born, I have been call this. I blame my family and this nickname for the fact that I'm now only 5'4" tall and 150 lbs soaking wet. I do use it on occasion, when Presto is not available.
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #108

In the early 90's I was making good money on the side doing weddings, portraits, fraternity/sorority events, little league photos and even a couple of local product shoots.

While renting studio space from a graphic designer, we got to talking about doing a calendar. During the planning stages, we met up with another photographer that was working on the same concept...a swimsuit calendar featuring local talent.

We came up with a decent product, considering the negative scanning and printing technology of the day. It was shot using Pentax for 35mm and Rolleiflex for the medium format stuff.

Unfortunately, in a very ambitious move on the part of the graphic designer, our print order was increased at the last minute, beyond what we could ever hope to sell. The project was a financial disaster.

Anyway, I was one of "The Calendar Guys." My username is a bit of a joke, and that's OK. I had fun earning that title.
02-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #109

Photos: Gallery
Mine doesn't have near the colorful and interesting reasons that I see a lot of you have. It is simply my position (slightly abbreviated) in my fire department as the office I hold.

01-02-2020, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hypothesis: The beauty of a photograph is determined by the qualities of the photographer, not the quality of the gear.

Chemical properties of film = constant;
Physical properties of glass = constant;
Mechanical properties of camera = constant;

[IF]
Input = (photographer)
[THEN]
Output = (photograph)
[ELSE]
SMC-P FA31mm f/1.8 Limited
[ENDIF]

It's not the camera.

Math is perfect.

Q.E.D.

Your math is flawless
01-02-2020, 08:25 PM - 5 Likes   #111
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well since Charlie has resurrected a dormant thread, I suppose this would present an opportunity to 'splain my username.

You see, I have always been a gearhead, and racing is part of that. I bought a race car in 1989. Fast forward ten years, lots of races and a championship, and somehow a computer inserted itself into the mix. Well I needed an alias for e-mail. I chose Racer X, older brother to Speed Racer. I added my car number, and the rest is history.

From the very first forum I joined it has also been my member name.

01-02-2020, 08:43 PM - 3 Likes   #112
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

mine is easy: it's where I live...

01-02-2020, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

A few years ago I briefly lived in a small town in northern Wisconsin called Fenwood. At the time, I was recently married, and life in that peaceful little community was bliss. It was a piece of heaven on earth that someday I hope to return to.

Avatar is a photo of an outdoor ice sculpture of a hawk that my wife helped me capture (she held the black backdrop behind it).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-02-2020 at 09:34 PM.
01-02-2020, 08:59 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just like it, was using it for at least 20 years on various forums.
Avatar is from photo taken in Krakow / Poland , years ago.
01-02-2020, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #115
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I needed a name for a RPG back in 1995 and this is the name I finally decided upon. In hindsight, I think it's a subconscious bit of a mix of Tolkien (I am a huge Tolkien fan) and Eddings (I had recently read/was reading the Belgariad series of books at the time) that got combined somewhere in my head. At the time I was sitting around for a while until finally this popped into my head and I thought it sounded cool. I've used it ever since. It use to be that every Gorgarath that you would find online would be me, but I've since found that it has popped up in a few other places that aren't me. I couldn't even get Gorgarath as a username for Google.

Some of this I think is from people misspelling a (I believe they're from here, it's been a while since I've looked up the info on them) Norwegian metal band that is hugely into Tolkien as well.

For those that don't know, the Plains of Gorgoroth are what lead into Mordor. Belgarath the Sorcerer is one of the characters in The Belgariad. I may have subconsciously combined the two, or I may have spent way too much time in later years trying to figure out how I came up with the name. Both are plausible.
01-02-2020, 09:09 PM - 4 Likes   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is simple, I am tall (6ft 5in, 197cm) and my name is... Dave.... BigDave. I used to be rounder too, but have lost about 50lbs. My Avatar is my dog, Duke, we work together (home office)!

I know there is another member, Big Dave... no relation, and I did not know that was a member name when I chose mine.
01-02-2020, 09:32 PM - 4 Likes   #117
Pentaxian

My name is Christian. All my life until recently I've been in rock bands.
01-02-2020, 11:45 PM - 3 Likes   #118
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
User name.....just boring old ..the initials of my name
Well atleast I shouldn't forget it.

Dave
01-03-2020, 02:57 AM - 8 Likes   #119
Pentaxian

The "Dartmoor Dave" character is an entirely fictional one, created by our organisation of international criminals, terrorists and spies to facilitate the exchange of coded information. All of his "photographs" are actually highly advanced computer graphics that exist only to allow us to transfer top secret information coded into the files on a sub-pixel level. Only those equipped with our quantum computing web browser plug-in are able to read the highly confidential information held in those files -- information which, if it became publicly known, would bring down governments around the world and cause global chaos. For those without access to our secret technology, "Dartmoor Dave's" photos will look like nothing more than endless snapshots of ponies.

Or maybe not. Actually I'm just a bloke called Dave who lives on Dartmoor.
01-03-2020, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My username is simply my initials. 'cam' was already taken, hence the style 'c.a.m'.

My avatar is a picture of a statue in Ottawa of Lieutenant-Colonel John By:

"Lieutenant-Colonel John By (7 August 1779 – 1 February 1836) was an English military engineer, best remembered for supervising the construction of the Rideau Canal and founding Bytown in the process, which would become the Canadian capital, Ottawa." (John By - Wikipedia)

Fearing an American invasion, the British forces built the 200-km, 45-lock Rideau Canal between 1826 and 1832 to provide a secure water route from Montreal through Ottawa to Kingston by avoiding the St. Lawrence River. Peace endured, and the canal is still used today -- mainly for recreational boating by Canadians and Americans alike. John By figures prominently in the history and place names of Ottawa.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-30-2020 at 01:21 PM.