Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
he did it for the lulz

LULZ!
Indeed I did.

02-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I couldn't think of a name......so I used my initials .....then realized it was the same as the lens coating.....whatever works
02-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I couldn't think of a name......so I used my initials .....then realized it was the same as the lens coating.....whatever works
I actually did think it was the lens coatings.
02-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Just took my usual Unix login Id and threw 999 on there. My dpreview handle has a more interesting story, although maybe only interesting to me.
Yikes!!! Not another geek guy!

Mine is based loosely on my name or maybe it is something to do with bratwurst...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-26-2009 at 02:55 PM.
02-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Anyone who played the game "Street Fighter" will know my name. Akuma is a legendary mystical character from the later series of Street Fighter. Akuma means Devil in Japanese.
Akuma was my favorate character and the "Super" came from a special version of Akuma where he is even more dangerous. So yea....

I stuck with that name and used it on every message board that I've signed up.

02-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
File Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Addiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there you have it. Stupid, nay?

I'd probably be "fluffypenguin" nowadays, if I had the possibility of changing my name. Just for lolz.
Hey, all you have to is send Adam a nice request, and you can become a fluffy aquatic bird in no time! I decided after posting my own entry in the thread to make the change, and now I am "RoxnDox" instead of "CycloneBandDad"

All hail mighty Adam!!!! <GRIN>

Jim
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #52
BPT
Veteran Member

Nothing amazing. My website is bigpointyteeth.com and I just went with BPT for my name here since I was drawing a blank. The big pointy teeth is in reference to the rabbit with big pointy teeth from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

02-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Mine is my nickname- a really old nickname kind of a play on my last name.
02-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I always wanted to fly, as far as I can remember. So, I enrolled in the Air Cadets (Civil Air Patrol in the USA, if I remember correctly) and got a scholarship to learn and fly gliders in 1974 and another scholarship for single engine planes in 1975. And the rest is history...
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #55

Just first name and year I was born....
02-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One evening in the Phi Delt house basement I was part of a beery, sophomoric philosophical discussion of life. I argued AGAINST the unfairness of chance - that chance does not exist, that in fact, circumstances are merely some of the inputs that determine the outcomes of life (along with choices, work, etc.).
Although Einstein thought along the same lines ("God doesn't play dice"), according to modern quantum physics chance is very real at microscopic levels. It is all about probabilities when things get really small.

Although the macroscopic world works quite differently, for anything interesting there cannot be any predetermination. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle excludes the possibility to measure the input to a sufficient degree.

Last edited by Class A; 07-20-2011 at 06:24 PM.
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I don't like things which are not 100%. That is why I chose an amplifier for my Hifi gear which works according to the "Class A" principle.

Standard amplifiers use the "Class AB" principle which results in crossover distortion.

In this image --

-- the upper wave shows how the signal is supposed to look like and the lower wave shows the distorted output, created by a Class AB amplifier.

A Class A amplifier avoids crossover distortion by applying a constant bias to the input, making only one (instead of two push / pull) transistor work in its linear range.

I'll award 100 points to anyone guessing what my avatar is about.

Last edited by Class A; 02-26-2009 at 08:49 PM.
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'll award 100 points to anyone guessing what my avata is about.
I've always thought it was the ubiquitous eye of the HAL 9000 watching me, but now I'm not so sure.
02-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I have used 'gawan' for a long time. Gawan is a knight from Wolfram von Eschenbach's medieval poetic saga Parzival, which is about the quest for the Holy Grail.

It is related to Gawain in the legend of King Arthurs knights, but I prefer Eschebach's more spiritual story over the romantic knight's adventures originating to Chrétien de Troyes.
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Although Einstein thought along the same lines ("God doesn't play dice"), according to modern quantum physics chance is very real microscopic levels. It is all about probabilities when things get really small.
Indeed - and in a large enough system, such as the probability that one is born with opportunity, chance (the probability of one datum occurring being so small as to have insignificant predictability) is real. But I'm not sure that, in 1975, we knew about quantum mechanics - and I'm certain I didn't. Although math, physics and logic at some point conflate, I was studying math, not physics.

The topic had been whether we had a right to be drinking beer in the basement of a fraternity house in 1975 (at our parents' considerable expense) when the economy was in such a sucky state and so many people were unemployed or living on the streets.

As I recall my argument, circumstances are just some of the inputs - but work and decisions are more determinate of outcomes over a lifetime than the chance of birth. I suggested, in fact, that history is full of examples of people who overcame chance obstacles.

We also discussed whether scoring life by counting money was ITSELF the problem.

Understand that I studied a LOT more than the others in the room that night. I (infuriatingly to some) suggested that the nature of man is to live in an ordered meritocracy, and the monochromatic comments came from people who may have felt some discomfort with prior decisions they had made regarding when they got out of bed.

Although the macroscopic world works quite differently, for anything interesting there cannot be any predetermination. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle excludes the possibility to measure the input to a sufficient degree.
So are you saying (as would Hawthorne) that the mere act of taking a photo (observing by measuring the electro-chemical effects photons produce when striking the sensor medium) renders the photograph an untrue depiction of the state of the subject at that moment?

Because, you see, my hypothesis suggests that you can INFER the input (the qualities of the photographer) by observing the quality of the output (the photograph), given that thee properties of the physical systems are K (film, glass and body).

Its not the camera.

But I'll shoot Pentax, just in case

I communicate to this day with all the people in that room. I am the LEAST successful, by the traditional American measure of success, of the bunch.

And I STILL have less hair!!

We could do quantum mechanics (well,YOU could do quantum mechanics), or we could do The Consolation of Boetheus by internet exchange, but then we could just go take some pictures.

What's it gonna be?

Last edited by monochrome; 02-26-2009 at 06:53 PM.