Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #1

Intresting statement from a stranger...

So, while i was in new Orleans this past friday, I was walking around takeing pictures and enjoying all the things mardi gra had to offer. While on my way back to my spot on the parade route, I stopped to take a picture, and heard a voice ask " hey, what do you shoot with?" Not realising it was directed toward me, i kept up my shooting, until I heard the vioce again and realized a guy was standing right behind me. We get to talking and he shows me his nikon whatever it is. I tell him why I chose pentax, and everything is cool, we're just chatting, enjoying the parade and all. he then makes the comment, " The best part of this camera is the video feature, I just shoot video for 30 seconds, then I can pull a picture right out of the clip. I never take a bad shot." I politely said " cool feature" and we parted ways...

That does not seem like photography to me, and why would any self respecting camera manufacturer put such a feature in a camera?? To me, they should be concentrateing on sensor\lens development, then cheap gimicky things like that......ehh just ranting...when i heard the guy say that, I just thought it was kind of underming the hobby/profession of photography

02-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It makes sense that he would do that when you understand the kind of "no-brainer" way that Nikon added HD video to the D90 (assuming that's what he was using). Basically, the camera just records the feed for the live view, so I guess taking a still of it would be a regular shot. With the exception that the D90 (unlike the 5D Mark II) drops every 9th line (I think it is the 9th) in order to keep file size small. So - if he's shooting a D90 - he shouldn't blow the still up too large, or that will be apparent.

So, in the end, I don't think it's necessarily something Nikon set out as a priority for the camera as much as a "hey - you know what we could do?" kind of an addition.
02-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

then you probably won't think this is photography either

I took 15,000 shots Sunday with ONE battery !: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-26-2009, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
I'm just sayin, taking video and pulling a shot out of it , to me, is like going fishing with dynamite....

02-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You might get a few good shots depending on what you were shooting. If you're waiting for a volcano to erupt - well, duh it would be a great feature. Trying to get a good portrait of a energized two year-old - again, a great feature. Getting the right composition in a landscape picture, not so great. It really is just another tool - would I use it much, probably not. Personally, I would like to see a more configurable timer function like the custom cable releases you can get on ebay (# of shots, length of shots, total length of time).
02-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can make a still picture out of any frame of my digital camcorder. This isn't anything new. It doesn't have anywhere near the IQ of a DSLR. I can also use it as a digital camera for single frame shooting. I can't comment on the D90's video quality because I haven't used one. Many P&S have had the capability to shoot short video clips for a long time, even my cheap Fuji which I bought several years ago. It was only a matter of time before the feature showed up on DSLR's. There is a whole generation now who have grown up with digital cameras and never shot much film so they will expect the same features on DSLR's they have with their point and shoots.
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A fighter jet is designed to do one thing and do it very well. A passenger plane is designed to carry lots of people.

When you design a fighter jet to also be an airline passenger jet, you are going to have a creation that doesn't do either quite as well.

Some people are happy with a compromise design, some aren't.

Last edited by tranq78; 02-27-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Shooting video for 30 seconds... soooo cool!! I'd rather shoot video with my camcorder and get a couple hours worth! If I'm going to shoot some pictures, it's going to be with a Pentax. Will these people never learn?
02-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

your post is interisting, in Prague last year I was approached by a canon shooter who was watching me take shots on the charles bridge. he came up to me, and asked, after looking at the image confirmation in my LCD, "Why do your pictures look so much better than mine?" The reply was obvious "Because I use a pentax" I just couldn't resist

clearly in your case the guy has paid a ton of money for an inferior HD video camera. why didn;t he just go out and get a proper HD camcorder
02-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
why would any self respecting camera manufacturer put such a feature in a camera??
Because it sells cameras...

... " The best part of this camera is the video feature, I just shoot video for 30 seconds, then I can pull a picture right out of the clip. I never take a bad shot."

The customer's happy and so Is Nikon.
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Because it sells cameras...

... " The best part of this camera is the video feature, I just shoot video for 30 seconds, then I can pull a picture right out of the clip. I never take a bad shot."

The customer's happy and so Is Nikon.
if he "never takes a bad shot" does that mean that all 900 frames (30 fps for 30 seconds) are keepers.

I would say he takes 899 bad ones
02-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would love to see his video of Marti Graw...specificially the women.
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you hearken back to the days when there was only film, many professional photographers did this, albeit on a much smaller scale, with motorized film backs. The main difference was they knew a sequence of events was about to happen, and they would snap a dozen shoots looking for that one 'keeper'.

That's not to condone shooting a gazillion shots to find one good one.
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my pet peeves

Most consumer electronics have scads of tiny buttons and/or multifunction dials.
Designers seem unable to resist adding features, no matter how suspect.
For instance my CD home player duplicates the eject button on the remote control...

Chris
02-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I would love to see his video of Marti Graw...specificially the women.
Yes actually, you really would....there was some serious talent there that night..