Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this is scary, lock bumping video

it appears that 90% of our house deadbolts are useless
watch this video
YouTube - Lock Bumping and Bump Keys
Then try googling up lock bumping keys, and see what pops up if you don't believe it's something to worry about.

Please pass this on, I'd hate to see someone loose everything because of some cheap locks.

04-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Thanks Stu,
I just took a look at the video, and called my wife to pick up 9 locks from the lock smith that can't be bumped. I also called the lock smith and talked to him. He has the locks at a price of $150.00 each but since I'm getting 9 he reduced the price to $100.00 each.

We have had several break In's around us so I'm going to make sure the tenets have the protection. I can't afford to have some one robbed or Raped. I'm also calling the insurance CO. maybe I'll get some kind of a price break on the insurance.
04-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
good to hear David, I'm kinda hoping that all the lock companies will change their designs so everyone can afford to have a safe home.
Good luck with the insurance company
04-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The concept of lock bumping may not be well known, but the fact that cheap locks don't offer that much of a deterrent should be.

Even without bumping, you can easily get past the lock with lockpick gun or vibrating tools; or as simple as a snapper pick.

But you know what? In most break-ins, they don't even bother with the locks. A kick through the front door, and they're in.

I do like high security lock. I think you should go for it if you can afford one. But don't fool yourself that you'd be all safe. Strengthening the door and hinges are just as important.

As for lock bumping, you still need some knowledge of making a bump key. You can find all the instructions, but the casual thief probably won't bother. As for the professional ones, well, even your high security lock won't trouble them.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Please pass this on, I'd hate to see someone loose everything because of some cheap locks.
On the contrary, I think it would give more ideas to the thieves than protecting the public.

04-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm kinda hoping that all the lock companies will change their designs so everyone can afford to have a safe home.
The locks manufacturers would love that; but try asking you local police about break-ins. Find out how many involves lock picking or lock bumping - very very few actually.
04-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

This info pops up all the time on the web. One of my other hobbies besides photography is lock picking. Robberies that involve lock picking are way more common in Europe than in the U.S. Europeans use much better locks than Americans because of this. There are bump proof locks, but they are not something you pick up at Ace Hardware. The funny think about lock bumping is that the crappier the lock the less effective it is. High end locks with tighter tolerances are more susceptible to this technique.

Let me know what type of lock the locksmith sold you photo tramp.
04-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by acrbill Quote
This info pops up all the time on the web. One of my other hobbies besides photography is lock picking. Robberies that involve lock picking are way more common in Europe than in the U.S. Europeans use much better locks than Americans because of this. There are bump proof locks, but they are not something you pick up at Ace Hardware. The funny think about lock bumping is that the crappier the lock the less effective it is. High end locks with tighter tolerances are more susceptible to this technique.

Let me know what type of lock the locksmith sold you photo tramp.
There was another video there about how to open a locked car with a Tennis Ball. That one worries me more than the "lock bumping". Most of todays cars have trunks that are accessible from inside the car. If locks on cars are really that easy to open, nothing is safe in a car, even locked in the trunk.

How many of you lock your DSLRs and other equipment up in your cars when you go shopping at the mall? I do. But I'll certainly think twice about doing that now.

Ed

04-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
How many of you lock your DSLRs and other equipment up in your cars when you go shopping at the mall? I do.
You probably shouldn't. The whole car could be gone after you finish shopping... I wouldn't risk any valuables in the car. Even the portable GPS, I would take it with me.
04-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There was another video there about how to open a locked car with a Tennis Ball. That one worries me more than the "lock bumping". Most of todays cars have trunks that are accessible from inside the car. If locks on cars are really that easy to open, nothing is safe in a car, even locked in the trunk.

How many of you lock your DSLRs and other equipment up in your cars when you go shopping at the mall? I do. But I'll certainly think twice about doing that now.

Ed
OMG Scaring us and our precious LBA collections!
04-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ed

Absolutely never!

When I started testing the digital waters last May, I lurked on the DPR forum for a while. There were at least five trunk/car thefts of Pentax cameras and equipment in less than two months. If I'm not willing to carry it at all times I do not bring a camera or lens with me ever.

And my house has Medico locks too. Boy the keys are expensive so don't loose them

The unfortunate thing is though is that a broken window (like... a rock and then smashing through) somewhat defeats the previous efforts.
Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 04-03-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: text
04-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Ed
Thats just internet folklore. If you knew how a car lock works you would realize how ridiculous that sounds.

There are some things you need to remember when you hear about bypassing locks.

Criminals by nature are lazy (if they weren't they would have jobs) Lock picking is not easy and you really can't become great at it over night.

How many people use padlock on their sheds or bicycles? Check out this video I made awhile back.

http://home.comcast.net/~job0b/mltt2.wmv
04-08-2007, 06:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow, this is scary stuff. I'll look into our locks now.
06-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #13

Lock Bumping

Public service site about lock bumping and how to protect yourself against it!

Lock Bumping
06-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My Dad use to tell me 'a lock only keeps an honest man out' - and that is the truth if someone wants in bad enough they will get in - that is where the rotweillers come in (my dog would bark ferociously until you actually got in the house then he would just show you where the stuff is and beg for treats !)

I also get a kick out of all the car alarms that are blaring away in the parking lots with not a soul in site .....
06-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by acrbill Quote
Thats just internet folklore. If you knew how a car lock works you would realize how ridiculous that sounds.
I wish it was just folklore Bill. Unfortunately, it's not. There are at least two models built by Mazda that can be unlocked by a sharp kick (not sure about the tennis ball) on the door. Mazda acknowledges the defect, but refuses to issue a recall. Because it is not a safety issue, the government will not force them to do a recall.

Chris