Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must say that this is a total mistrust of position and He deserves to be beaten to a pulp
left unconscious, and locked in a small box so when he wakes he wont know where he is and she can come and get her well deserved revenge

03-01-2009, 03:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He has been arrested and is being prosecuted. Without even waiting to see how the trial turns out we're rushing to some international body? To what end?
03-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Don't think you need a trial to see that an adult has overstepped his bounds, as an Officer of the law no less, and committed an assault against a child.

If a parent did that, Child Services wouldn't even require a video to take action.
03-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Don't think you need a trial to see that an adult has overstepped his bounds, as an Officer of the law no less, and committed an assault against a child.
In this case you probably don't need a trial to establish the facts of the case - the video speaks for it's self.

But you do need formal legal procedure to determine what is to be the consequences to the Officer based on these facts. This is especially needed when it is an Officer of the law turning against the law it's self. This determination must be formal, legal and, above all, public. Otherwise the Law is no better than the accused.

03-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
I can't disagree with that.

That's entirely irrelevant to my question, though. What is the Hague going to do that the existing (and ongoing) process is not going to do?
03-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

What a complete douche bag that "cop" is.

Jason
03-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Hague wouldn't bother with this case anyway. There are adequate local, state and/or national means to prosecute Officer "I beat up little girls" Schene.

03-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

That's entirely irrelevant to my question, though. What is the Hague going to do that the existing (and ongoing) process is not going to do?
Okies... I'm with ya now. Blonde moment, crisis averted The Hague will prolly just add it to their records so they can say 'so many children were beat up in 2009'

*shrugs*
03-01-2009, 04:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He has been arrested and is being prosecuted. Without even waiting to see how the trial turns out we're rushing to some international body? To what end?
...because child abuse is an international concern and that the US signed on with the Geneva Convention as well as other international laws against child abuse, I wish to highlight this as only the tip of the iceberg.

That is my reasoning.
03-01-2009, 05:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
...because child abuse is an international concern and that the US signed on with the Geneva Convention as well as other international laws against child abuse, I wish to highlight this as only the tip of the iceberg.

That is my reasoning.
Thank you for clarifying.

Is there some aspect of this case in which the US has failed to live up to Convention obligations?
03-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for clarifying.

Is there some aspect of this case in which the US has failed to live up to Convention obligations?
Are you kidding? No offense but are you pulling my leg here. Is this a farce? I am dead serious. Please just go to this site and you may determine where this is a benchmark "Tip of the Iceberg" case in point.

Protect.org - Home

Ben
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't know that I've ever mentioned my profession publicly on the forum, but I feel compelled to say at this point that I am a Police Officer. I've mentioned to stear clear of most of the other discussions that I've seen in the "everything else" portion of the forum because I don't particularly like discussing work when I'm thinking photography.

When I read Benjikan's post, I was expecting to see a video without sound, because the media typically does not release the sound on these videos. Why? Because Officers are trained to verbalize during a use of force, not only to tell the person they are engaged with what they must do to comply, but also to create witnesses who can hear the Officer telling the party to "stop resisting." The audio was what I expected, but the video was not.

I don't care what part of the video doesn't tell the "whole story." What I observed on that tape was nothing short of disgusting. When the Officer made his first step toward entry into the cell, the subject immediately started backing away. At that point, the confrontation was over. This guy lost all control and should suffer every penalty available under applicable law. There was no active resistance on the part of the subject at any point during the displayed time frame.

Bottom line is that I don't care what the "rest of the story is." An Officer must base his actions on the present - the level of resistance encountered and the amount of force reasonable and necessary to overcome that resistance at that particular point in time. And just to clarify, "force" can involve anything from the mere presence of the officer to deadly force. This was clearly excessive, and should I or anyone that I work with observe such a violation of law and policy, I would fully expect that this individual would not be sheltered or allowed to fuction in his official capacity.

Let's be clear here - We're not talking about LAPD CRASH. Don't let media headlines color your view of the thousands of responsible and professional law enforcement officers in this country. This uninformed conspiracy talk does nothing more than degenerate perceptions of law enforcement by those who have no better frame of reference than "Law & Order" to base their opinions on.
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing. The USA pays lip service to the Hague Convention, but doesn't treat it with any degree of seriousness.
03-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Why did this video, not the ongoing youth violence in that area (murders, rapes, assaults, robberies, car thefts, and more), make the national or international news? That area, from Sea-Tac Airport to downtown Seattle, has long been a war zone between the people, protected only by the police, and violent youth gangs out to harm others. County and city prosecutors, elected by the liberal majority residing in the much larger region outside that area, have done nothing effective to curb that violence. Instead, city officials promote after-school basketball games, while prosecutors promote youth camps, as the means to stop murder, rape, assault, and robbery. Not surprisingly, crime hasn't stopped, but has only increased instead.

What this video doesn't show is the typical barrage of foul language and insults coming out of this "child's" mouth prior to kicking her shoe at the officer, nor how this "harmless" act nearly always escalates into much more. These "children" push officers until they get a reaction. If the shoe didn't work, spitting would be next, followed by head butts, followed by something else, followed perhaps by a grab for the officer's gun. This escalation is entirely routine, leaving officers no choice other than to unquestionably assert their authority to prevent it. That isn't pretty (this video isn't pretty), but blame the "children" for that, not the officers.

Crime is absolutely rampant in America and I'm utterly fed up with people endlessly defending the perpetrators of that crime (youth or otherwise) while openly and endlessly criticizing the men and women on the front lines trying to stop the madness. And don't give me this "some cops are okay, but" nonsense. The blantantly one-sided rhetoric against police clearly demonstrates many side with the criminals, not the actual or potential victims and the police who help or protect them. And certainly some are criminals themselves out to actually tie the hands of the police.

And, yes, I do have a "chip on my shoulder" when it comes to this subject. My brother was murdered (execution-style) by a young black man only one year older than the "child" in this video (his third violent offense, yet charged as a juvenile - free today) and my wife threaten by a young black man with a gun under his belt inside Wal-Mart. And this doesn't include many lessor incidents over the years, like the young lady, bloody and brused, crawling in our door late one evening to escape the gang of "children" chasing her.

stewart
03-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteQuote:
What this video doesn't show is the typical barrage of foul language and insults coming out of this "child's" mouth prior to kicking her shoe at the officer, nor how this "harmless" act nearly always escalates into much more. These "children" push officers until they get a reaction. If the shoe didn't work, spitting would be next, followed by head butts, followed by something else, followed perhaps by a grab for the officer's gun. This escalation is entirely routine, leaving officers no choice other than to unquestionably assert their authority to prevent it. That isn't pretty (this video isn't pretty), but blame the "children" for that, not the officers.
those are speculations at best. and as one can clearly see from the video the girl had no intentions of harming or even attempting to harm the officer. her 'shoe kicking' was typical teenager. nothing more. did you even watch the video? you are trying to downplay the blantant excessive force displayed by this cop? for what purpose? nobody here made any outright onesided comments against police officers in general and we all know there is two sides to every coin. however what this officer did was WRONG in every way. and NO, I DO blame THIS officer for what happened, not the 'child'.

your statement is complete biased bullshit, I don't care (not that I think it was ok) what happened to your brother because it has nothing to do with this incident. most of the time I ignore your comments or at best attempt to get where you are coming from but this baseless and biased remark has such a ridiculous tone I couldn't help myself. I am sorry about your brother but your comment is still bullshit. period.