Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A posting does not automatically mean "debate". But it seems thats what turns some people on, sadly.
Go ahead, vent your feelings all you want but I dont want to know about it.

A couple of you here should be able to start a real debate on anything or everything among yourselves, ,go for it, but leave me out, the intent of the Forums is much different to that in my opinion, in fact much above that..

Chapter closed and sealed!!

03-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
A posting does not automatically mean "debate". But it seems thats what turns some people on, sadly.
Go ahead, vent your feelings all you want but I dont want to know about it.

A couple of you here should be able to start a real debate on anything or everything among yourselves, ,go for it, but leave me out, the intent of the Forums is much different to that in my opinion, in fact much above that..

Chapter closed and sealed!!

we were only responding to your open forum post. I just think your upset because we didn't agree with you. simple as that. you would want to know our feelings if we agreed with you, correct? im not buying this 'I was just posting what I found' crap. no your intention with posting this was to see what other members of this forum thought about this ebay ad. and when it turns out that we didn't think what you thought now you try and spin it into us using it to bash you in some way... not even close, and you know it.
03-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
How about this one. I saw this and thought, here is someone trying to rip somebody off. $25/$50 for a box. Bid on it by accident, thinking there may be a lens included and your roped in.
I think that you can, within a reasonable period of time, withdraw a bid for something based on mistake. They don't let you do this too much. Clearly if there were a number of these eBay would contact you... but still I think in the case of an honest mistake the process is there.

As for the box itself... if I had a Bigma and didn't have the box, I would want it. Furthermore if and when I wanted to sell it, and I did not have the box, I might very well purchase the box on the theory that overall the sale would go better/faster and yield more money, thereby ameliorating the cost of the box and even putting some extra dollars in my pocket.

It does not seem underhanded.

woof
03-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Hands up all those people who still have the boxes for all the major pieces of equipment in their kit?

Yep, I see them, me too.

03-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote

Hands up all those people who still have the boxes for all the major pieces of equipment in their kit?

Yep, I see them, me too.
Aye.

I just sold a 135mm f/3.5 Super Takumar that was in the box with its original papers. Heh. I'm thinking about buying an empty box set for a Takumar 28mm f/3.5 that I found.

Seaain
03-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess you don't watch Antique Roadshow.
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I save each and every box and piece of packing material that comes wrapped around my cameras and lenses; right down to the plastic bag and dessicant packet. I just think it completes the item and adds value if it will ever be sold.

A quick check of Ebay sales will confirm that used items sold with original packing fetch higher amounts. Selling an original box for an item is not as wacky as it appears.

03-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'll agree with all the comments... I know on the few times I use ebay (I'm a pessimist when it comes to it), I usually choose those items that might come with a box and in other little items that might otherwise have been thrown out.

From the buyers point of view, a seller whom has the box and papers cared enough to keep those items, so they should get more value even if the boxes are in less than stellar condition (Looking from the item in the box point of view rather than the box itself).

As far as box collectors... I see no big deal. People collect everything. How is collecting a box any worse than collecting stamps or baseball cards or whatever else. The value of items is straight economics and supply and demand. If people want to buy a box and pay a fortune for it, so be it. Ebay assumes that the consumer knows his own limit and will stop at it. That's all there is to it.
03-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Well the auction ended with nary a bid on the empty box. Perhaps the seller will adjust the price before (or if) he offers it again.
03-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Bruce, I had bidded on the cap on A 135mm f1.8 before. It was about 1000 US that I had offered. That auction went to a buyer in Europe with the ended price of 1800 US dollars.

After I bidded on that item, I received a fellow bidder asking me if I knew the item was only a cap!
I've bid on a lens case before. Thank goodness I lost the auction.
03-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #26
Forum Member

It's an expensive lens, it deserves an expensive box.