Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
future photo gear path, thoughts and advice wanted

(No, I'm not selling the Canon already! )

Thinking about what I really would like to have available for future photo work. In the past it's been all film, then all digital (300D and then 10D), then all film again, and now I have a bunch of miscellaneous gear.

I'd pretty much decided that 35mm film was more or less a waste at this point since even the most humble modern DSLR has sufficient resolution power to match or outperform it (let's not get into an argument over this, if you disagree with it feel free to though). So I was pretty much planning to dump the 35mm gear (though the Leica IIF might say, it is a hard one to part with). But with the purchase of the 1DsII I suddenly had what--to me--is effectively digital that's as good as my medium format work. So now I'm wondering why I should even bother with the RB67 and GA645. Film is a good bit of extra work and unless I'm realizing significant advantages... why?

Well, today a Sinar F 4x5 setup popped up for sale, I mailed the seller with a lowball price and he accepted. So now my thinking is to keep 4x5 for film (a 4x5 contact print is a thing to behold!), then unload the remaining film gear with the possible exception of the GA645 and IIF.

That would leave me with:
10D+1DsII for digital/small format
GA645 for portable high quality film shots (debating on this one though)
Sinar F for "real" photography when I want to spend the effort and have movements and such

Out would go:
Crown Graphic 4x5 (enjoy this one, but it doesn't have much in the way of movements), RB67, OM2, possibly the Leica IIF (this one is more of an emotional decision), Pentax SL + Spotmatic, a few 6x9 folders, a few 35mm rangefinders (Lynx-14, Hi-Matic 11, Fujica) with their accessories.

Now, is there anything I'd be missing here? I suppose that I wouldn't have anything truly compact (which has never really been an issue for me), but I'd have a good digital setup, large format for fun and for movements, and maybe a giant "point and shoot" MF rig.

What would you do?

02-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless I needed the 645 for slide work, I'd sell it as well.
02-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You are likely right... it's just one of those cameras I really LIKE.

By the way, turns out the Sinar is an F1, not F, so got an even nicer deal than I thought.
03-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could always start thinking about an 8x10 camera.

But really, what kind of work do you do? Have you ever considered branching out into other types of work by, rather than buying a new camera format, buying a new accessory such as an underwater housing or one of those fuji infrared models or something else to let you experiment with something you haven't done before.

If you're primarily a studio photography, just think what kind of effects you could do shooting models in a swimming pool using an underwater housing. Set up some lights and a backdrop in a backyard pool and go to town. Just as an example.