Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New Computer

Finally going to purchase a new computer. After a purchased my K10D I realized that my ancient system wasn't going to hack it any longer.

I am looking at the Apple .imac (desktop). I have never owned a Apple before but purchased one for one of my sons as a graduation gift and was impressed with the system, quality, and more importantly the support. Anyway, I am looking at the 20 or 24 inch desktop system and am wondering if anyone has experience with these two systems. If so, are they good the way presented or would you suggest any upgrades to the base system of each? Also, am looking at apeture vs bibble program for post processing - any thoughts?

Thanks for any input to aid in my final decision.

04-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

As the Technology Director where I work (we all use Macs), I can say that the iMac is a good value. There are a number of people using G5s, MacBooks, Mac Minis and one iMac. The iMac runs on par with the G5s in terms of power and speed -- additionally the color on the monitor is excellent.

If you're planning to buy one, make sure it has at least 1GB of RAM, otherwise you'll come across brutal slowdowns.
04-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
-- additionally the color on the monitor is excellent.
How do you mean excellent? excellent for an LCD? How do these monitors compare to CRT's for photography?

Anyone around here use calibration on an imac? Are these actually good monitors?

-k
04-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My wife's former high school teacher uses Mac's everyday in his high school graphic design classes to this day. They're great computers! I think the entire catholic schoolboard in my area uses them, because there were a few in my son's elementary school as well.

04-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
How do you mean excellent? excellent for an LCD? How do these monitors compare to CRT's for photography?

Anyone around here use calibration on an imac? Are these actually good monitors?
When you compare the iMac displays to professional LCDs and CRTs it's hard to notice a difference, unless you do this sort of thing for a living (ahem). Some people will tell you that the black point is less true on an LCD, and while that's true, it's not as significant as it sounds. All of my post-processing is done on my MacBook Pro, and since it it calibrated out of the factory, as with every Apple display, the colors are near perfect on- and off-screen.
04-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #6

Excellent choice

-k
I have 4 of them here at work and all I can say is excellent. I personally have the 24" model and it rocks, especially when using Aperture. I do calibrate mine with the Pantone Huey.
04-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperJared Quote
When you compare the iMac displays to professional LCDs and CRTs it's hard to notice a difference, unless you do this sort of thing for a living (ahem). Some people will tell you that the black point is less true on an LCD, and while that's true, it's not as significant as it sounds. All of my post-processing is done on my MacBook Pro, and since it it calibrated out of the factory, as with every Apple display, the colors are near perfect on- and off-screen.
Cool, so what do you use to check the calibration? Does it measure how well the display renders color? or just check that green is green and red is red?

In iother words do the calibration tools measure how well the screen renders subtle color variation?
04-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Cool, so what do you use to check the calibration? Does it measure how well the display renders color? or just check that green is green and red is red?

In iother words do the calibration tools measure how well the screen renders subtle color variation?
Mac OS has a built-in calibration tool so you can tweak it, assuming your eyes are good . There's an "expert mode" that allows for subtle changes, making it the ultimate way to calibrate your monitor aside from getting a Huey or other such device.

04-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

without getting to technical, what the monitor calibrator does it first set the white point and color temperature for the monitor, the a series of color squares come up on the monitor screen. a hardware calibrator that usually looks like a mouse gets suction cuped or leaned on the monitor screen. The squares that flash on the screen are the "acurate" colors. the mouse like devise reads this, to see how far the sceen colors are from the "acurate" colors. the diffferences between the two are calculated with software, and when it is done, a profile called an "icc" is created.
what this tells the montor is the next time it displays colors, the icc interperates it to acurate colors first before it is diplayed on the monitor screen.
the last sentence isn't totally acurate, but for learning purposed it is close enough to get the general idea
you would be surprised at the many different tones and hues that are improved after calibration.

hope this helps

randy
04-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Then what does it do after that? Does it monitor the monitor for changes, or for ambient light etc. and keep modifying the monitor on the go?
04-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Then what does it do after that? Does it monitor the monitor for changes, or for ambient light etc. and keep modifying the monitor on the go?
some adjust for ambient light.... not sure about that part about the constantly updated but it sounds reasonable. as far as the icc profile goes, a monitor colors shift over time and especially when it is shut down and started up again, that is why a monitor needs on going calibration.

hope this helps, arpe

randy