Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monitor calibration

I was reading Lowell Goudge's thread on a new monitor with interest. It seems the only thing the LCD camp and the CRT camp can agree on is the need for monitor calibration. I had always heard the good monitor calibration is very expensive, I haven't really closely looked into it because I have no idea what I should be looking for. So I'm asking Randy and the other experts out there if there is a relatively inexpensive monitor calibrating system I can get. I have an old Sun Microsystems 21" flat screen CRT that I really like, but I'm sure it needs calibration. So is there a good calibration package out there that won't put me in the poor house?

NaCl(full blown LBA leaves little money for anything else)H2O

04-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Salty,

I bought the Spyder Express for $79 CDN if I remember correctly and it works great, though it doesn't come with printer calibration, I don't need it right now since I don't print anything other than 4x6 at home which turn out fine without it. I think that's the cheapest you can get.
04-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually you should further refine your needs. If you want just a well calibrated and profiled monitor cost is from $70US to $200. If you want scanner and printer profiling the cost rises dramatically depending on how much control you really need.

I have an earlier version of this package. It's outstanding! Monitor, scanner, printer, could also do the camera if one works hard enough to build the right set-up (studio).
04-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the Spyder 2 Suite. Works very well. cost about US$150.

04-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Actually you should further refine your needs. If you want just a well calibrated and profiled monitor cost is from $70US to $200. If you want scanner and printer profiling the cost rises dramatically depending on how much control you really need.

I have an earlier version of this package. It's outstanding! Monitor, scanner, printer, could also do the camera if one works hard enough to build the right set-up (studio).
Thanks John for the advice. I do not need a printer profile as I've found I can get better prints done cheaper professionally. NYC is full of good print shops so competition is high and prices (relatively) low. A scanner profile would be nice but not necessary. I've got thousands of slides inherited from my dad, and one of these days (probably after retirement) I'd like to sort and scan the good ones for distribution to my sibs. Absolutely accurate color would be nice but not necessary. If I had to spend an extra $100 for the profile it wouldn't be worth it to me, $50 extra would be the break point. So I'm looking for a good CRT monitor calibration and I really don't want to spend more than $150 for it.

NaCl(thanks for the help)H2O
04-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I've got thousands of slides inherited from my dad, and one of these days (probably after retirement) I'd like to sort and scan the good ones for distribution to my sibs.
NaCl(thanks for the help)H2O

Set the slides up on a lightbox, set your camera up over top on a tripod - if you've got a macro lens or extenstion tubes - put them to good work!

I copied a couple hundred slides a few weeks back using my K110D with this method. I had to reshoot some of them, my camera drifted a little, it was like a shift lens effect, but it's a cheapskate alternative to *slow* scanning or buying a specific slide copier lens thingamabob. The worst that can happen is you under or overexpose it, which you can see right away using the LCD/histogram -
04-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought and use the HUEY by Pantone. Works great!! First set of 11x14's I did at wolfe turned out "green". After running the HUEY, they come out exactly as I've shot or adjusted - very vivid and no color casts.

Got it from Circuit City for $99. Could have ordered it cheaper, but didn't want to wait.

04-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I was reading Lowell Goudge's thread on a new monitor with interest. It seems the only thing the LCD camp and the CRT camp can agree on is the need for monitor calibration. I had always heard the good monitor calibration is very expensive, I haven't really closely looked into it because I have no idea what I should be looking for. So I'm asking Randy and the other experts out there if there is a relatively inexpensive monitor calibrating system I can get. I have an old Sun Microsystems 21" flat screen CRT that I really like, but I'm sure it needs calibration. So is there a good calibration package out there that won't put me in the poor house?

NaCl(full blown LBA leaves little money for anything else)H2O
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions so far.
The Huey is the least expensive of the bunch, but you loose a lot of options in exchange for a lower price.
I can't say for sure which one is the easiest to use, but in the price range you are looking at, there will not be any noticable difference as far as quality of calibration goes between them.
I have an older Eyeone display which is now owned by pantone. there are 2 software options, one that is completely automatic (you just choose the color temperature you want your monitor to be at and everything else is done for you) and one that is customisable. both do a great job.
I would not pay extra for the option of ambient light adjustments as unless you have a controlled lighting room, it is a waist of time. You will get much better results by turning that option off and just calibrating your monitor every week-2 weeks or so.
with the ambient light option on, every time your room changes lighting (say for example the sun starts to shine through a window) the calibrator adjusts for this.... throughing your origanal calibration out of wack.

like I said, the spyder, eyeone, and last but not least the Huey are great choices.... but if you consider the purchase over the lifetime of use, I would spend the extra $100 or so to get the spyder or eyeone (or eyeone 2)

good luck with it, let us know how you make out

cheers

randy