Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decent sunglasses?

*stumbling in blinking and squinting.* Once again, RML is facing up to the fact she can't get by without prescription sunglasses down here.

I was wondering if anyone had any positive things to say or warnings about any of the major eyeglass chains? I see a lot of features out there (like scratch resistance and easier cleaning coatings, serious UV protection, etc) that seem interesting, if they work. Also really wouldn't mind ones that darken, if they're capable of getting sufficiently dark, which always seems to be a drawback.

I only put myself and sweetie through this very occasionally, (I'm torture to deal with about the look of things like this,) So, I was thinking to simplify things as much as possible and see if anyone had knowing about this stuff.

Any observations?

03-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wife has tried them all - perscription , transistion and lastly clip ons. You know what , she prefers the clip ons best of all.

Trasnsitions take too long to lighten up. Perspcription you have to change to regular. A good set of clip ons - leave your regular glasses on and when inside take them off.

My (actually my wife's ) $0.02
03-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hrm. Sorry I posted this in the wrong board.

But I don't see clip-ons as a valid option, for numerous reasons. Among which are that I'm a) Not actually that old and b) They wouldn't meaningfully fit over my existing glasses and I'd just have to carry an eyeglass case anyway that way and have to keep four surfaces clean to see. .

Anyway, I've had sun-darkeney ones, and the indoors end of thinggs wasn't the real problem. The big issue there (and this was ten years ago) was that thry didn't get dark enough ouside, and tended to not do anything much at all if you were in a car.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-05-2009 at 06:43 PM.
03-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

Disclaimer: I have someone in the family that owns and sells sunglasses and eyeglasses.

That said, it means I've also had the opportunity to sample a variety of high end eye-gear.

Right now I use contacts sometimes and eye-glasses sometimes.

I've never had the transitions lens. Until recently transitions+anti-reflective was a harrowing combination, or so I understand, so grandma always set me up with anti-reflective lenses and a clip.

There is a company that can custom make a clip for any frame. I couldn't find their official website, but there's a little more info here.

The last time I had the Rx updated in my frames (I really like my frames, so I just had new lenses put in) I got them back with a card saying they were using this new Crizal coating. It's supposed to be a super-durable anti-reflective coating. (Which makes me wonder...why are they not using it on lenses?).

I really like it a lot. Their website has a lot of marketing on it, but it seems to be true -- my lenses stay cleaner longer, and when I clean them they look brand new again.

When I'm wearing my contacts I have some Mosley Tribes sunglasses. They are deluxe and I love them. My car was broken into this summer, and the thieves took the case for them (Which was in the glove box) but not the sun glasses (Which were in the center console, and I found on the seat). Silly thieves! The case is worthless, the glasses are quite pricey.

03-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ummm clip ons are not age restrictive then again I am old haha but my wife is certainly not. Have you looked at them lately ? My wife just got some new glasses and they actuall fit exactly overy her glasses with magnets to keep them in place - I don't wear glasses I am just passing on her advice on the most pratical and you could not tell they are clip ons.

Good luck.
03-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Ah, the sunny south. Good shades are a must down here. Anyway, I have been wearing Serengeti shades for the past two years (one pair has lasted that long, a record for me), and love them. I don't have a perscription in them, but I know that they do Rx's. I have talked to several people who have them, and they have the same opinion that I do about them. Another good thing about them, is they have them in the optometry section at Wal-mart around here. The only problem I have with mine is the finish on the wire frames is beginning to peel off. It doesn't affect how the glasses work, but I just thought I should mention it. I am rough on glasses, though. Just my opinion, which is worth almost what I charge for it!
03-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What he (she) said. I've used them for years. Have a pair in the car eyeglass holder that stays there and another pair in a slip-in protector that goes with me when I am out of the car. Of course, fashion doesn't enter into my decision.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
My wife has tried them all - perscription , transistion and lastly clip ons. You know what , she prefers the clip ons best of all.

Trasnsitions take too long to lighten up. Perspcription you have to change to regular. A good set of clip ons - leave your regular glasses on and when inside take them off.

My (actually my wife's ) $0.02

Last edited by monochrome; 03-05-2009 at 09:15 PM.
03-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Ummm clip ons are not age restrictive then again I am old haha but my wife is certainly not. Have you looked at them lately ? My wife just got some new glasses and they actuall fit exactly overy her glasses with magnets to keep them in place - I don't wear glasses I am just passing on her advice on the most pratical and you could not tell they are clip ons.

Good luck.
I guess I should clarify that my existing glasses wouldn't take anything useful to clip on over them, if that were available, except the really big goggle-looking things. (And, actually, these are pretty beaten-up, anyway, a casualty of a day of me not paying attention to the Mamiya's film box holder...if I'm very lucky, I can get a plain old pair thrown in for 2 for 1 or something)

Didn't mean any offense, just that clip-ons are essentially as much pain as a second pair, and it'd take something huge to go over the little things I have. And I'm self-conscious about feeling all prematurely-decrepit. )

Actually, I got the glasses I have now, when my health was worse, and after years of suffering under the wrong prescription, and thinking, "Oh, well, for once in my life these don't have to double as safety glasses, I can get something pretty." *Then* a couple of months of visual acuity later, I realized, "Waitaminnit, I can do photo again." And, four years or more later, here we are.

Still have slightly-impractical regular glasses, though, that you can't clip anytyhing onto.
03-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been wearing a pair of easyclip brand glasses with magnetic clip on sunglass lenses for the last several years, my Mother and Grandmother both went with similar glasses since I got mine.

I don't know if you've seen them around before but the sunglasses clip on to the frame with supermagnets and because the clip on portion is matched to the frame they look and feel pretty much like regular sunglasses. I like them more than the transitions lenses because the darkened lenses are polarized and stay dark inside of a car for driving, plus depending on the frame style there are several different choices for how dark the lenses are.

One thing to watch for is that depending on the style you may be able to accidentally knock the clip ons off with a camera view finder.

The website is a bit annoying to navigate but here's a link: Aspex Eyewear - Twistable eyeglasses – Magnetic eyewear technology
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #10

You should be able to get prescription sunglasses and if you don't go too wild they can probably do bifocals or whatever you need. I had a pair of Revo wrap arounds that I lost somewhere in Maine last fall and I really miss them. I didn't usually wear them when taking pictures though - I found them too dark to see the data in the viewfinder and forget it if you've got a polarizer on your lens! I've got clip ons for the moment but will be ordering new prescription sunglasses for sailing season.
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

When I bought new frames last year, I naturally had to buy new lenses for them and opted for the works...polycarbonate (for less weight and ultra thin), glare proof (so people could see my eyes, not the reflection from a nearby window), scratch resistant (self explanatory) and yes...I opted for transitions to hopefully eliminate the need to carry around a set of (non prescription) sunglasses on these sunny Mediterranean days here.

The transitions, I have found are very convenient, useful and are completely transparent (not tinted) when inside, or not in direct UV sunlight. I have been happy with the speed in which they go dark, as well as lighten back up...normally going dark in 30 seconds to 1 minute and lightening back to totally clear in less than 2 minutes. My worry, when I ordered transitions were that they would always have a slight tint to them, which they do not...I didn't want to look like I was wearing "Byrds" sunglasses all the time, ala Roger McGuinn. The other reason was how quickly they changed...and that turned out to be a non-issue with mine. From what I understand, older technology transitions were often very slow and always looks a tad "smokey" looking in non direct sunlight.

My non prescription sunglasses are a pair of Oakley "Crosshair". These have been an awesome sunglasses for me. Check them out:

Oakley POLARIZED CROSSHAIR Sunglasses - Purchase Oakley eyewear from the online Oakley store

Jason
03-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #12

I have used and Love RayBan wayfarers with perscription lenses for years they are extremelly durable (i can`t begin to tell you how many times I have dropped them on concrete and dirt, asphalt). I still have the same pair I have had for six years and I have changed perscriptions twice. I have a new backup pair without perscription as well. I can always have the perscription put in them.
03-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have had to adjust to wearing glasses in the last 15 years but I can't get used to wearing them while using my camera so I don't. I adjust the diopter.

As for galsses, I am currently using transitions lenses and they work fairly well. As mentioned in previous posts, they are very slow to lighten back up after coming inside. They don't darken much at all while driving in the car so seperate sunglasses or clip ons are needed. I have the polycarbonate (I think) lenses also. They are very scratch resistant and I also have some clip on side shields for work making them safety glasses. I avoid the anti glare coatings because they make the lenses very difficult to clean. I am a mechanic and I get dirty and sweaty and those anti glare coatings don't work for me but if you are an office worker and inside they might be useful. The Transitions lenses I have now clean easily. Sunglasses or Transitions can be made for ANY perscription. I have trifocals.
03-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dokblues Quote
I have used and Love RayBan wayfarers with perscription lenses for years they are extremelly durable (i can`t begin to tell you how many times I have dropped them on concrete and dirt, asphalt). I still have the same pair I have had for six years and I have changed perscriptions twice. I have a new backup pair without perscription as well. I can always have the perscription put in them.
I use RayBan too, except Aviators. Friggin' awesome and they are certainly extremely durable. Mine have been beat up for years and years and they seem immune to scratches.
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input, *checking out some links* ...I'll be shopping around.

For extra information, I don't generally shoot with my glasses, (I tend to just nudge them out of the way, and use either an eyecup or in the case of the K20D, the magnifying eyepiece.) My prescription is actually quite mild, and I can still test at 20/20 or a little better without them: the problem is that eye fatigue can set in very quickly without the astigmatism correction, and then it gets much worse.

Actually, I have a pretty neat related idea. An eyeglass holder that goes on the camera or strap somewhere. Maybe something I could put on a hot shoe foot, like those little clips they sell for car dashboards. Hrmm.

I wonder if the super-coating Saaby mentions (claiming to be scratch resistant as well as easy to clean) does as promised. I'm kind of a maniac about clean glass, and scratches do seem to be a worry. (And, actually, I do think some lenses and filters are coming out with similar coatings, these days, Saaby. I was shopping for some filters for my new Pentax glass, and I guess Heliopan has come out with something like that: I guess their previous coatings were a tad soft and hard-to clean. I'll believe that: there's an older one on my bridge camera, and it's fussy in that way. )

How fancy I get may have to do with if I find frames I like, (thus how long I may want to stick with em. I had a pair of old ones with Transitions glass in there, (Pity they're the wrong prescription) and those were OK. A little brown tint is actually a pretty good look for me. (And I think I'll be going back to brown, ...when I started doing more photo again, I got some grey non-prescription ones like I used to, with the idea of not messing with my sense of color and contrast, but I'm finding it would probably be more valuable to see the world in the yellowey brown, more inspiring that way.

Anyway, somewhat forearmed, now. Thanks, all.