Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
They will most likely leave a response like (based on others I have seen who do this)
How about having separate accounts for buying and selling? No seller is going to turn down a sale to someone with "only" a 95% rating. If their money is legit, the seller doesn't care. You can blast someone for being a scumbag and they can ding you right back and it doesn't hurt your seller credibility.

It doesn't help you for this one instance, but it will the next time.

-E

04-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yea just nail the guy and don't back down. You'll be giving him an excuse to continue.
04-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a screwball situation brewing with a toy seller as I write. It's down to a wait and see situation so I won't elaborate.

I wondering what caused you to 'bite' at the sale in the first place. A lower than expected price, perhaps? If so it's buyer beware and you should just move-on. There is no gain in simply angering a power seller into revenge feedback. If you get your money back before the feedback time runs out, leave a bland "got what I paid for' type feedback and move on.

With four ebay accounts and a couple of Amazon reseller accounts, we have had our fair share of kooks and crooks-they come with the territory. A level (strange for me) head, patience and the ability to hold ones tongue while spinning a feedback entry get a lot more success than open confrontation.

I know this well; it's why I work in the R&D end of the business: no customers! Many times I would just reach out and choke somebody, or hit them with any available heavy object. Nobody likes to shop with me except for the entertainment value; I mumble a stream of profanity and curses at every lame-brained half-baked, nit-wit I encounter. Sadly, you are in one of those times when you bite your tongue and get happy if you're lucky enough to get your money or merchandise returned.
04-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I've got a screwball situation brewing with a toy seller as I write. It's down to a wait and see situation so I won't elaborate.

I wondering what caused you to 'bite' at the sale in the first place. A lower than expected price, perhaps? If so it's buyer beware and you should just move-on. There is no gain in simply angering a power seller into revenge feedback. If you get your money back before the feedback time runs out, leave a bland "got what I paid for' type feedback and move on.

With four ebay accounts and a couple of Amazon reseller accounts, we have had our fair share of kooks and crooks-they come with the territory. A level (strange for me) head, patience and the ability to hold ones tongue while spinning a feedback entry get a lot more success than open confrontation.

I know this well; it's why I work in the R&D end of the business: no customers! Many times I would just reach out and choke somebody, or hit them with any available heavy object. Nobody likes to shop with me except for the entertainment value; I mumble a stream of profanity and curses at every lame-brained half-baked, nit-wit I encounter. Sadly, you are in one of those times when you bite your tongue and get happy if you're lucky enough to get your money or merchandise returned.
But this is part of joele's (and hence all of ours, too) problem. How many people get scammed by this same type of thing but then don't leave negative feedback, or leave obtuse feedback that isn't easily interpreted, for fear of getting a retalitory negative?
Perhaps the solution is to have another tier of feedback - Positive, Negative, Neutral, and No Feedback Left.

04-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

thanks for the heads up on memory cards joele, I've been looking for a fast card and i'll wait for staples or somebody to have a sale. I'm wanting more ram for my laptop too and I'll be wary of them also. My wife would NOT be happy if I got her her first negative! and she has the paypal on her account.
tom
04-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #21
Forum Member

STOP!

Don't leave a neg feedback for the seller. What if he was genuine and thought the card was real? No, you should leave him a positive feedback. I propose:

THANK YOU FOR REFUNDING THE FRAUDULENT MEMORY CARD YOU SOLD ME!!!

Wait... Is that 80 characters?
04-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me ask you a question: How is ebay different from the traditional marketplace?

The answer: it's not different.

The car dealer you hate, is somebody else's best friend. The big box retailer you visit, your neighbor rails against at every opportunity. Buy your groceries here somebody different does it over there.

There is no effective Better Business Organization for IT commerce, no self policing, no self or joint regulation for decent practices. Not even a good cop when you need one.

There is no place for self-righteous grandstanding, because nobody cares. And you don't really have proof that this merchant is the culpable little prick you think he might be so anything you do to defame or denigrate really only reflects back on yourself. Perhaps with civil repercussions-that could be very nasty and expensive.

Be glad to get a refund and move on gracefully. You don't need to go back and try again, there are other merchants.

04-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
thanks for the heads up on memory cards joele, I've been looking for a fast card and i'll wait for staples or somebody to have a sale.
Try newegg.com for flash cards (and basically any computer parts you need).

I've bought from them at least a dozen times, I've never had a bad experience.

I generally avoid ebay like the plague. I've seen too many *wow super rare* type listings for stuff, and the same items are listed 20x on the same page.

yeah, rare all right.
04-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbarnhart Quote
STOP!

Don't leave a neg feedback for the seller. What if he was genuine and thought the card was real? No, you should leave him a positive feedback. I propose:

THANK YOU FOR REFUNDING THE FRAUDULENT MEMORY CARD YOU SOLD ME!!!

Wait... Is that 80 characters?

Yes they claimed they did not know the card was fake... But I looked through their feedback they had half a dozen mutually withdrawn feedbacks over the last 6 months (so the neg no longer showed), in most cases the comment was "Fake Sandisk card seller claimed they didn't know (supplier fault)"... They were withdrawn I presume due to the revenge feedback (which is also withdrawn now)...

So I think the whole "we didn't know" excuse is a wearing a little thin..

I just think the more people that do nothing (or back down by mutually withdrawing the feedback) then the more people will get caught out by the same seller..
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I just think the more people that do nothing (or back down by mutually withdrawing the feedback) then the more people will get caught out by the same seller..
To be honest, for SD card, my advice for any buyer is to stay away from ebay, period. There may be a few honest sellers - but they are in the minority.
Fake cards are so rampant and so well known at ebay that I wonder why anyone would take the risk.
04-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^^^

You obviously haven't seen the prices of memory cards in Australia?
04-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^

You obviously haven't seen the prices of memory cards in Australia?
Hi Joele,
Life sucks and then you die

Joele, ultimately your righteousness will not count for diddly squat in the big scheme of things. I feel your pain and wonder if I have ever been scammed with filters or whatever when purchased on ebay.

Let it go for your own sake. People have to take responsibility for their own choices and must do their own research. You took the risk, got screwed and found out because you did research. You were inconvenienced but not hurt monetarily.

Be grateful that your personal qualities gave you the ability to do your due deligence and that you didn't buy 5 cards and find the problem after the window of corrective action closed.

A negative comment holds the promise of a negative mark against you. For what purpose (?)...the guy has sold 5000+...so obviously he know's the game and how to skirt ACCOUNTABILITY. Don't sacrifice yourself for the work that others should do for themselves.

We now live in a world where the knockoffs (AKA theft, piracy, counterfieting) coming out of China represent roughly 20% of the world GDP..

Ebay is the stomping ground for this material and anything you buy on ebay is a crap shoot.

QUIETLY RESIST the URGE to do the correct thing. ULTIMATELY, it will be like spitting into a very strong wind.

Good luck with your decision

BTW, Newegg sells Transcend 4GB 150X for $37 US. So far no problems with the 4 I have.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 04-04-2007 at 08:01 PM.
04-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Haha buy a china brand name. :P You can go wrong with those! Like Kingmax, they make high speed cards too.
04-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #29
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
With that kinda stuff, always buy from local dealers and big chain stores like BestBuy or something. Then if something goes wrong, you can still go back to the store and complain.

I've seen however alot of like 4 GB SD (non SDHC) go up for sale under $100 CAN at many of the computer warehouse and clearance shops. I thought SD's design limits it to 2GB? no?
I'm using 4GB SD cards (not SDHC) from Transcend in my K10D, works like a charm, costs US$42, come with a lifetime warranty. These cards do not work in my Optio WPi, though.
04-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Oh, one more thing, if I got my money back I wouldn't leave negative but neutral.