Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2007, 05:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ebay fraud rant

sorry just want to rant a bit.

I bought a 4gb Sandisk ultra II card off ebay, it is fake (I have confirmed with Sandisk) and a very slow card in general..

The power seller claims they didn't know it was fake (yeah right) and are offereing to refund me after I return it to them.. Thats fine but if I return it even if I am lucky enough to get my money back, I can't warn other ebay buyers. As if I leave negetive feedback to warn others I am sure to cop revenge feedback from the seller. So the seller just goes on selling counterfeit cards, every so often someone like me realises, gets their money back, but can't warn others.. (this seller has over 30,000 sales so far)..

I have talked to ebay and they basically said its my problem if I am not willing to accept the revenge feedback, they won't do a thing..

Doesn't it seem mad that they are passively encouraging this fraudulent activity by refusing to protect buyers or investigate it?

P.S. I am getting my money back through Paypal as I lodged a claim with them in time.. (this is why I only buy if paypal is offered)..

04-04-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one negative, and it is from the same thing.

Perhaps it is worth the negative to do the right thing? I'm not saying it is or it isn't - buyers can be picky with non-100% sellers, and I probably lost $$$ on sales because of my negative. But I did notice that after me I got contacted by a couple others who fell for her scam, and she is no longer a registered user. She probably set up a new ID, but lost her 5,000+ ratings.
04-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With that kinda stuff, always buy from local dealers and big chain stores like BestBuy or something. Then if something goes wrong, you can still go back to the store and complain.

I've seen however alot of like 4 GB SD (non SDHC) go up for sale under $100 CAN at many of the computer warehouse and clearance shops. I thought SD's design limits it to 2GB? no?
04-04-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This one has 30,000+ rating, so my 1 neg means less than their 1 neg revenge against my meager 107 feedback..

It really sux that ebay couldn't care less.. I searched through their feedback and it seems they had a number of negetive feedback that were mutually removed after they gave revenge feedback..

P.S. I read an article by an australian authorised sandisk seller that said sandisk do nothing about the situation (they could easily ask ebay to remove the member), but they do nothing as if they admit the scale the problem they fear it will effect their share price. Apparently up to 90% of sandisk cards sold on ebay are fake..

Stuff it I think I will leave the neg..

04-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I've seen however alot of like 4 GB SD (non SDHC) go up for sale under $100 CAN at many of the computer warehouse and clearance shops. I thought SD's design limits it to 2GB? no?
If you format fat 32 it will work in some devices (like my phone) but not in others (like my DSLR)... You are correct it is non standard, but sandisk and others do make them..

The problem with local dealers in Australia is they are VERY expensive.. I have bought other cards from ebay many times before and they weren't fake, and have saved me a lot of money.. I have paid paypal so I will be getting my money back, that is taken care of, but I am just concerned now about warning others..
04-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought SD's design limits it to 2GB? no?
No. There are 4GB non-SDHC cards.

Ebay is probably the worst place to buy memory. I feel for you Joel, but this scam is not new. I do believe at one point ebay itself, or some consumer watch group was encouraging buyers to absolutely buy memory elsewhere.
04-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, in all honestly. What can the seller say about you that can hurt you that bad? That you returned a fake?

And besides if you 'package' your auction well....like take lots of nice photos, do the layout in a neat organized manner and label and list all the details, people take that as a sign of credibility in itself too!

04-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They will most likely leave a response like (based on others I have seen who do this)

"Leaves negative feedback without bothering to contact"

Or some other rubbish.. I sell a fair bit on ebay and just don't want to loose my 100% rating over a scammer like this.. but the more I think about it the more I think it is the right thing to do..
04-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

can you repley negative feedback ontop of it or leave a comment?

Like "This seller sold me a fake memory card."
04-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes you can leave a comment, and I will
04-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They can't delete feedback right? Because this will damage the seller hopefully far worse then his 'revenge' feedback will do to you.
04-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd leave a negative feedback. If they respond with "Leaves negative feedback without bothering to contact" you can reply to it.
I once left neutral feedback for a flash that didn't work (it could get damaged when posted). The seller than gave me neutral saying "Leaves neutral feedback without contact" My reply was "Perhaps you don't remember, but we've been discussing it via ebay".

Also whenever I'm buying I read sellers feedback comments as I believe do others.

Nail it!!
04-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They can't delete feedback right? Because this will damage the seller hopefully far worse then his 'revenge' feedback will do to you.
They can only delete it if we mutually agree.. That is why they leave revenge hoping you will mutually agree to delete both negetives...
04-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Nail it!!
Will do, just going to wait until Friday (paypal deadline for refund) once I have my refund I will neg them..
04-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Joele,

I forget the exact details, but you can leave feedback up to 60(?) days after the auction.

If retaliatory feedback concerns you, I would find out the exact details and then leave feedback within the last few minutes of the last day. <insert evil bwa-ha-ha maniacal laughter>

I've had a couple bad experiences on flea-Bay, all from sellers. It goes with the territory and is pretty much inevitable. On balance I've saved a lot more money than I've lost.

Does anyone out there know how many days that feedback window is?

tranq78, A Reader of Machiavelli