Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sportsshooter.com

Anyone here a member over there?

It is an interesting site and thinking about becoming a member. It appears that to be a member you have to have a sponsor or someone invite you. Just curious on thoughts on this or experience with the site?

I find it interesting there seem to be little or no Pentax guys or gals there. Or am I just not seeing them

04-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never heard of it before, but I'm not a professional sport photographer. Looks pretty tough to get in. It's also pretty confusing if you forget one of the s's in the middle (sportshooter.com)!
04-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Should have joined when I had the chance... oh well I rely on other sourses now.
04-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Anyone here a member over there? I find it interesting there seem to be little or no Pentax guys or gals there. Or am I just not seeing them
One of our fellow Pentaxians approached them probably 18 months ago to join and was told "no girls allowed". OK, I paraphrased just a little bit, but he was told that Pentax shooters weren't welcome in their club.

This was before the K10D jumped on the scene, but I haven't felt a need to join since then. At the time, I was talking to some friends who are members and was trying to get sponsored in (this was when I was shooting a lot of baseball). After I read his post, I decided f*** 'em. Shortly after that, my desire to shoot baseball shot way down, but that's a different story.

-E

04-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, what a bunch of high-minded snobs...

A qoute from their "Joining Sportsshooter" page...

"If you are respectful enough, you may even get some of them <senior members> to review your own images. In other words, get to know a few members and maybe one of them will agree to sponsor you. But please don't be a pest or...." yadayadyada...

I guess they are free to control their own membership rolls but from the sound of it they won't be getting many new members. Sheesh
04-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yea alot of Canikoners are unfortunately. They think they are so good with their USM/AF-S + IS/VR + High FPS Burst capabilities.

Hell its like 'point and shoot' till ya drop and see if you got any good ones. We may get in SS through referrals but they'll always keep us back with the worse options and take all the spotlight.

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
After I read his post, I decided f*** 'em. Shortly after that, my desire to shoot baseball shot way down, but that's a different story.

-E
Well said. In the end, the clients will see only the photos. If anything, all the Canikon shots look the same cuz they always crowd around the front in their designated boxes where we Pentaxians must make do with what we got. That might mean a seat in section E of the stadium but our photos will be different.
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm fine with the exclusivity, whatever. I would hope however that they know more about photography than 'the intraweb'.

04-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

its "www.sportsshooter.com"
04-13-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

http:xyz should resolve to http://www.xyz if they have IIS (win) setup properly. It's up this morning but was down last night, even by apply the www.