Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
RAW is giving me a headache!

I've never shot in RAW until today, and I'm having a steep learning curve.

First- when I upload photos to my PC via the card reader, it only uploads the JPEG's on the card. I don't like using a camera -to- computer cable as it seems to take forever. How do I get around this?

Next- I assume my Adobe Photoshop CS2 can do a better job of PP than the supplied SilkyPix...

SO

I downloaded the Adobe DNG converter and RAW plug-ins, and they sit on my desktop. How do I incorporate them in my Photoshop?

If anyone can walk me through the steps, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom (technically challenged) Lusk

(where's the icon for "begging"?)

10-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I've never shot in RAW until today, and I'm having a steep learning curve.

First- when I upload photos to my PC via the card reader, it only uploads the JPEG's on the card. I don't like using a camera -to- computer cable as it seems to take forever. How do I get around this?

Next- I assume my Adobe Photoshop CS2 can do a better job of PP than the supplied SilkyPix...

SO

I downloaded the Adobe DNG converter and RAW plug-ins, and they sit on my desktop. How do I incorporate them in my Photoshop?

If anyone can walk me through the steps, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom (technically challenged) Lusk

(where's the icon for "begging"?)
My camera to computer connection is super fast, probably faster than my card reader. It dumps an entire 512 card in a few seconds.

I just downloaded the raw converter and camera raw files from the adobe site.

I unzipped the files and put the converter on the desktop and when I opened up the other file, it opened up cs2 so Im assuming it found where it needs to be.

Now I opened up the converter and set it up so it extracted the PEF files off my SD card and converted them to DNG and placed them in a folder on the hard drive. Once its a DNG file I was able to open it up on cs2 now that you have the new update installed.

I really appreciate you asking this question since I can use my $300 program to adjust the raw files instead of the packaged software.

It just made me feel better about my purchase.

if you need anything else just ask.
10-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmmm...

I keep getting this error code when I try the DNG converter:

The source folder does not support any camera RAW files.

I get this when trying to access the photos directly from the camera and via the card reader.

I have been able to transfer the files from the camera to Pentax Photo Browser, but can't get them from there to Photoshop???

When I try to open a RAW file from Adobe PS I get this error message:

Could not complete the request because it is not the right kind of document

I'm obviously missing an important step.

JPEGs are looking better all the time...
10-26-2006, 02:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I keep getting this error code when I try the DNG converter:

The source folder does not support any camera RAW files.

I get this when trying to access the photos directly from the camera and via the card reader.

I have been able to transfer the files from the camera to Pentax Photo Browser, but can't get them from there to Photoshop???

When I try to open a RAW file from Adobe PS I get this error message:

Could not complete the request because it is not the right kind of document

I'm obviously missing an important step.

JPEGs are looking better all the time...
Hi Tom Yes I see your problem. Your plugin in the Photoshop program file is the wrong one or hasn't been updated by you. If Your using Adobe Photoshop CS2 It is an easy fix. Go to adobe site and look for all the updates. You will find one there under photoshop cs2 for Camera Raw the latest version. Download it and follow the directions from the download screen EXACTLY and your problem will be solved. They also have the Adobe D&G converter program which is an excelant program and works by it's self. You need to download the program. then to use it you would have to download the Raw files to a seprate folder. From that point on you would need to open the D&G converter choose your source folder where your RAW files are and choose a destination file and the converter will take care of the rest. then with photo shop you can open the D&G files with no problem.

How ever if you only have Photoshop and not cs2 you will only be able to open the D&G files since Adobe has not updated this program. Good luck.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

10-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Again look for an update for your memory card reader.
You might have to actually get the update from the manufactor of the reader, not the windows or computer manufactors version.

I can load and un-load any sort of file through mine without doing anything special. Although I usually use the cord these days.
10-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Slow but sure...

I think I'm almost half way there.

I've downloaded the most recent versions of the converter and Photoshop plugin for my PS2.

I've converted the RAW files to DNG.

But when I go to open the files in Photoshop I get

Could not complete the request because it is not the right kind of document again.

Suggestions???