Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Green Moon

If this is covered elsewhere, I'll happily accept a pointer to where the thread is. I searched and didn't find anything that seemed to cover this.

I've got two photos, taken months if not years apart, and while shooting I took several photos before and after each. Only in the one shot in each instance does this happen: The moon and other lights are green. Not regular green, but bright green.

For each, it's almost a B&W situation: moon, bright lights and late night. It's not happening often enough for me to be too worried about it, yet, but I sure would like to understand what's causing it. I don't think it's chromatic aberration, but I'm not sure how to go about pinning down what it is.

Any insights or pointers to a thread covering this will be very much appreciated.

Bill B.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Moved to general section.
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

One time (only), with the K100D, I got a tiney splash of that same color in the center of a regular daylight shot of some people. It was backlit a little, but many of my shots are, and it only happened one time. Not even as often as...a blue moon.
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, talking to others, the only thing we've been able to come up with is that perhaps it's due to the auto white balance not getting set properly. The only difference between this green shot and the one after is this was taken at 0.3 second exposure and the other at 0.7 second exposure. All else is the same. I can recreate the same "effect" and color on the other photo if I remove the blue and red channels from the photo, so it seems to make sense that the white balance was off.

That's the only thing we've been able to come up with.

Bill B.

K10D, *ist DL, (also still have my K1000, ME Super)
80-200mm, 18-55mm, 10-17mm fisheye, 400mm, 135mm, 50mm