Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
wow, bunch of crybabies in here..

lets see, what does paypal allow you to do

paypal, allows you to instantly send funds from one person to another, anywhere in the world.

instantly

anywhere

in

the world

no waiting in a line to draw up a money order, put it in an envelope, and then hope that it doesnt get lost on the way there (so thats 6.50 for the order, 0.50-1.60 for postage, couple of cents for an envelope, and the gas/time cost of going to the bank and getting your stuff.

thats one alternative

money order, same process, and if you're a business you may have the ability to send it from your computer. Only it will cost you more anyway, typical wire transfer costs are 30-40 dollars.

cold hard cash in an envelope,

from kentucky to fiji? good luck, talk about risk. (ohh dont forget the postage cost)

paypal needs to

a) make money (capitalism after all)

b) save money (to pay for all those scams and lawsuits that arrise from people abusing the system)

c) re-invest money (to make sure the level of service stays the same and improves, paypal has come a long way since when it first began)

so really? you're complaining? :ugh: seriously?
You do make a good argument. But freezing funds isn't something I recall Western Union or the Post Office doing. And if they're going to do that, eBay should've laid the terms out for me to see when I listed that item and chose to accept Paypal. It's not right. End of story. Don't get me wrong, I'll use it again... but they're never going to keep what's mine if I can help it!

BTW, you're on my ignore list as long as you're calling people names for absolutely no reason. Thanks.

03-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, you're right there, they changed the system without making us agree to a new TOS. That's not right.
03-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a difference of "fair market" rate and usury. Freezing the additional $170 is pushing it.
03-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Gooshin, I would appreciate not being called a crybaby because I have a legitimate complaint. Thank you.

Paypal charges you too much in my opinion, that's all that matters. So please, stop being a jerk to everyone, and don't post here if you want to be rude.
paypal charges in line with what credit card companies charge business for accepting credit card payments (known as "merchant banks/companies", often simply a division of the bank with whom you have an account with)

some long standing businesses who are in favor receive reduced rates, but you have to keep in mind that banks and credit card providers (particularly in canada) have other forms of revenue, so merchant providers can reduce the cost for the business

paypal only does one thing, allows for transactions between people, where do you expect them to make money?

your complaint is NOT legitimate, you are just bitter that you didnt account for the additional paypal cost when pricing your goods.

as for having money frozen, that is a different issue. The company that i work for uses paypal on occasion, and i have been using paypal quite a bit too, i have never ran into these problems.

paypal does not randomly screw with peoples accounts, this usualy happens when one party is under suspicion for whatever reason.

western union may be cheaper, but as far as i know it does not guarantee payment for goods, simply a transfer. Paypal can be set up as an invoice, so then you can later file a complaint if the goods are not delivered, or vice versa.

again, the paypal fee is fair, can it be lower? maybe, only the accountants can tell you that.

Last edited by Gooshin; 03-08-2009 at 09:29 PM.
03-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Damn right I'm bitter, and that makes my complaint legitmate if I want it to be. You don't seem to understand, I can say whatever the hell I want to, and I don't appreciate being called out on it.
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, and paypal freezes money and sometimes takes money out of your bank account and puts it back in 3 days later without letting you know. It's of course not a problem unless you get a $120 overdraft fee from your bank account that paypal says is "not their problem".
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Damn right I'm bitter,.
okay so now we're getting to the truth

and that makes my complaint legitmate if I want it to be. ,.
all hail master of logic

You don't seem to understand, I can say whatever the hell I want to, and I don't appreciate being called out on it
watch what you say, and thou shalt not be called uponeth

03-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look, the personal attack that you made in the beginning was unwarranted. Don't call us whiners. That's all there is to it. My response was also unwarranted, so I apologize. But really, sometimes we just have to get things off our chests, like paypal's fees, even if others think that they're completely legitimate.
03-09-2009, 03:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Phuuuuleeeeeeeeeeeeese.....

I've never heard of a credit card company that charges their customers 20-25% of their transaction in transaction fees!

Secondly, Paypal transactions are not instant. I've waited 5 days while Paypal transferred the money from my verified account to another verified account.

Credit cards are instant... Paypal isn't. If folks wanna bitch about being ripped orf, they can. There's no need to carry on with name calling and smartass comments.
03-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote

I've never heard of a credit card company that charges their customers 20-25% of their transaction in transaction fees!

Secondly, Paypal transactions are not instant. I've waited 5 days while Paypal transferred the money from my verified account to another verified account.

Credit cards are instant... Paypal isn't. If folks wanna bitch about being ripped orf, they can. There's no need to carry on with name calling and smartass comments.
I've never had any problems with eBay nor PayPal. Yeah, they take a percentage out, but hey, it's faster way to get your money. I also have the PayPal debit card, so I don't have to transfer the money to my bank account, I use it right from there.

If you don't like PayPal, you can always wait for the money order to come by snail mail......
03-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There is a difference of "fair market" rate and usury.
I believe that usury refers to interest rates charged on loans. And what does or does not constitute usury is defined by the laws of the various states. Anyone who feels that Paypal is engaging in usury is free to lodge a complain with the Attorney General of whatever the heck state they are incorporated in. Since no loan is involved, no action should be expected.

In the United States, usury laws are state laws that specify the maximum legal interest rate at which loans can be made. Congress has opted not to regulate interest rates on purely private transactions, although it arguably has the power to do so under the interstate commerce clause of Article I of the Constitution.

Wikipedia
03-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote

paypal does not charge 25% on transactions, where are you getting this outrageous number?
03-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #28
SouthShoreRob

PayPal is a service. I pay for this service, just as I pay for laundry service to have my drycleaning done, or my automobile service when I don't feel like changing the oil myself. Whether the % are too high or not, of course, is debateable, but then again I didn't invest the millions of dollars necessary to get that operation up and running and insured, so who am I to complain?
03-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
It sure is. I used it to sell something for the first time a few weeks ago on eBay. My item sold for $700. Paypal took around $30 of it and would only let me have $500 of MY MONEY in one month's time (they're still sitting on about $170 of my money). This was after giving them my bank routing number, account number, AND my online passwords so they could "verify" my account!!! eBay wants 30 something dollars too for the auction. When you add the price of the box I shipped it in, my packing material, my time, and my paying shipping and insurance costs... I got screwed. The buyer's been nice enough to not leave me any feedback too.
I think unless you open yourself as a "business" account with paypal then you are only allowed to withdraw 500 per month from you account. Its in the contract that you are supposed to have read when you set the account up. On another note my god I cant believe Gooshin actually said something I agree with
03-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Paypal provides...

+ The ability to accept payment via credit cards and EFT without the need for a merchant account.
+ Protection as both a merchant and a customer against fraud. This includes an arbitration process as well as back end systems to prevent problems on the front end.
+ A free shopping cart as well as a plethora of other free tools for merchants.
+ Currency conversion to facilitate international sales (1% additional per transaction).
+ Robust reporting on your accounts and transactions including exports for Quicken/Quickbooks/etc.
+ Free (no additional charges) postage/shipping label printing.

And all of this costs a mere 3.1% fee per transaction on only one side of those transactions.

I have my days when I am less than fond of Paypal myself; they aren't perfect. But I have yet to see a better deal anywhere that is as universally accepted everywhere as what Paypal has put together.