Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
paypal does not charge 25% on transactions, where are you getting this outrageous number?
My big fat fingers, blundering with a calculator, late at night, using the figures in the first couple of posts. I really buggered that up, my bad!

And to clarify, I've used Paypal twice in my life. I would only use it as a means to purchase goods from this site. I'm not in the habit of internet buying unless it's from a reputable site with proven security. Having said that, if Visa decided they were gonna charge me and extra $30 for making a $700 purchase, I'd dump them real fast.

Thank you for not calling me names

03-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I don't use ebay anymore because of the crazy fees with paypal and ebay itself. I use the marketplace here and craigslist or kijiji and i buy/sell everything I ever need.
03-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
you want your cake, you want to eat it too?
This has never made sense. If you are eating cake, you have it.

Oh, never used paypal or ebay.
03-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
This has never made sense. If you are eating cake, you have it.

Oh, never used paypal or ebay.
well no, if you eat it, its gone

03-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
well no, if you eat it, its gone
Not until your bowels are done with it...

(yes, i'm 5 years old )
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Just sold a camera to someone for $205 and they took $7 of it. For what?
Heavens, they CHARGED YOU MONEY FOR A SERVICE?
03-31-2009, 08:54 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only thing I don't like about Paypal is they want your bank account to do business after you use the 10,000.oo plus limit they gave me. I think I can only buy 200$ more. I told them I'd give them one of my checking accounts If I could still use my credit card that I only pay 9% interest. They said no.
So from now on I'll send a Money Order from the Post Office. If no one will take that I'll shop somewhere that does...

03-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By using paypal, I've lost $100 this year alone.

Yes, poor me.
04-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #39
Veteran Member

By using paypal, I've lost $100 this year alone.

Yes, poor me.
Not everyone can be business savvy, such is life.
04-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #40
racinsince55

Just sold a camera to someone for $205 and they took $7 of it. For what?

I think that they are in business to make money. If you used PayPal and didn't understand their terms (you did read them, didn't you) and fees..........

As far as their withdrawal limit.

from their site.

What is the Withdrawal Limit for new U.S. accounts?
Question :
Answer :
New account holders are limited to withdrawing $500.00 USD per month from their PayPal account. The start of a month is determined by when the PayPal account was opened (for example, May 15 to June 15).

The Withdrawal Limit can be removed by authenticating your identity.

Here's How:
Click the View Limits link next to your balance information.
Click the Lift This Limit link.
Complete the steps on the To Do list to lift your Withdrawal Limit.
04-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Like a few people have mentioned, it's all in the service agreements. You are paying them a percentage for the safety net & ease of use. Granted sometimes the fees seem high, I sold some coins recently and it was just a matter of knowing ahead of time how much would be taken out and figuring that into the transactions.

Some people will also take PayPal only if you agree to pay extra for the fees. I don't buy anything from them though - I figure payment processing be it PayPal or Visa or Check verification should be covered by the transaction - cost of doing business for the vendor.
04-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rustyoldbug Quote
Like a few people have mentioned, it's all in the service agreements. You are paying them a percentage for the safety net & ease of use. Granted sometimes the fees seem high, I sold some coins recently and it was just a matter of knowing ahead of time how much would be taken out and figuring that into the transactions.

Some people will also take PayPal only if you agree to pay extra for the fees. I don't buy anything from them though - I figure payment processing be it PayPal or Visa or Check verification should be covered by the transaction - cost of doing business for the vendor.
so if girl A offers you a K20D for 1035 dollars flat, and girl B offers you a K20D for 1000 dollars plus a 3.5% fee IF you choose to pay with paypal, you will not deal with girl B? Thats absurd.

remember thare are TWO things to consider.

1. a person charging a % less than or equal to paypal fee, green light in my books

2. a person charging more than the paypal fee, this, as has been mentioned, is illegal.

another thing that often happens, i have noticed, is people put the full value of the transaction when shipping out goods, shipping costs and paypal fees are not part of goods cost!! you pay more duties than you have to.
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #43
Inactive Account

[withdrawn]
04-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I recently had two bad deals on Ebay where sellers (with 100+ positive feedbacks) just disappeared. Both times Paypal refunded me the full amounts. So I understand the reason Paypal has to charge fees.

Having said that I think the fee should be on a sliding scale -- 4% for small amounts sliding down to 2% for over $500 sounds much more palatable to me. After all insurance works on this principle worldwide, insuring a $20K car does *not* cost twice that for a $10K car.
04-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #45
Veteran Member

if the 10K car is statistically stolen often in your area, costs more to fix and replace parts, and is statistiaclly involved in more collisions than other cars

you may very well pay more insurance on a 10K car than a 20K car

such as my friend, who pays less on his 30K Audi A4 than he would on a 10K Honda Civic