Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #31
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LouisARE Quote
Hello everyone -- I work for Symantec's public relations firm, Edelman. Just wanted to quickly point out that if you want more information on the PIFTS issue, you can go to Symantec's user forum at Norton product patch "PIFTS.exe" and Norton Users Forum - Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus - Norton Community

Louis Cheng
Edelman Public Relations

Hi Louis
After reading this thread I don't think you will find many Norton Users on this Forum.

You are welcome to make a donation and become a Site Supporter though.

03-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I certainly qualify as one of the many Norton users, Gary. I used Norton AntiVirus for well over ten years (wife still uses it), without any significant problems, but switched to a freeware offering last year (testing the waters) after building a new computer. Now, after trying several (currently Avast), I'm still not entirely satisfied with the freeware options available, so Norton AntiVirus is still a viable option on the table.

In the meantime, I continue to use Norton Ghost and consider it to be one of the most straight-forward, easiest to understand, backup solutions on the market.

stewart
03-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm actually wondering if I need to run the built-in defrag on my computer before deleting my Norton, ...the defragger is basically the only reason I keep it around, cause I had a problem on another computer with the Windows one starting over every time the screen saver triggered, and had trouble getting that to stay off.

(I have an old long-since-not-updated copy of Norton that I keep around basically only for the purpose: but my computer's all full and needing all the resources he can get.)
03-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #34
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I certainly qualify as one of the many Norton users, Gary. I used Norton AntiVirus for well over ten years (wife still uses it), without any significant problems, but switched to a freeware offering last year (testing the waters) after building a new computer. Now, after trying several (currently Avast), I'm still not entirely satisfied with the freeware options available, so Norton AntiVirus is still a viable option on the table.

In the meantime, I continue to use Norton Ghost and consider it to be one of the most straight-forward, easiest to understand, backup solutions on the market.

stewart
LOL, I knew that would flush a couple out.

03-13-2009, 02:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
No clue if you are right . But the first thing I have bought any system (for the office) is to delete the crap. Period.
They pay big time to pc manufacturers to have those crap in the comp.

Daniel
Agree with you there. I've built my own rigs for a while now, and it's so great being able to install only what you want from the get-go.

As to the OP: Maybe 4 or 5 years ago I had a free year's worth of Norton come with some program or another, so I tried it. I didn't think it was too bad, until the year was up and I tried uninstalling it. I can't even remember the issue, I just remember fighting with it for hours trying to remove all of its parts.
03-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #36

it doesn't uninstall properly. Use SymNRT.
There are lots of other products on the market, most of which offer 30 day free trials. Your ISP may also have a product.
Several AV Vendors really do pay to get their kit on the machine. Meh to them.

What on earth do you need defrag for? How often do you think you need to do it? I'll tell you: once a quarter, at most, IMO.

Bret
03-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Well, it's linux for me (OpenSuse) and currently I don't bother with any anti-virus software. I have a standalone firewall box (PIII 1G Dell, running Monowall) between the internet and my home PCs.

Paul

03-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
LOL, I knew that would flush a couple out.
I'm another (AV & firewall). It's part of the mandatory software on my gov't work machines, and we have a site license allowing us to install and update on home computers as well when used for any sort of telework. I've never had any issues with it, personally, on Win2K/XP Pro/XP Home boxen.

Jim
03-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bretti_kivi Quote
it doesn't uninstall properly. Use SymNRT.
There are lots of other products on the market, most of which offer 30 day free trials. Your ISP may also have a product.
Several AV Vendors really do pay to get their kit on the machine. Meh to them.

What on earth do you need defrag for? How often do you think you need to do it? I'll tell you: once a quarter, at most, IMO.

Bret
I'll have to find out just what SymNRT is, anyway, ...I finally had to uninstall the darn Norton, just to get through some updates... By 'properly,' do you mean all that crap's hiding somewhere in the machine?

Defragging seems to be a pretty big deal on my machine, (Not a big hard drive, here) actually, though I'm lucky to get to it quarterly. It ties up the machine a long time. )

Have to clear some space on this machine, and I'm thinking of getting a smallish external drive for just the purpose... It wasn't my intention, but images *still* end up on here. )
03-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
Well, it's linux for me (OpenSuse) and currently I don't bother with any anti-virus software. I have a standalone firewall box (PIII 1G Dell, running Monowall) between the internet and my home PCs.

Paul
With Linus, you can click whatever spyware.exe file. No problemo.
I have been using Win 7 beta now. It is so rock solid and foolproof that whenever malware.exe is acting up, it would need your permission.

I urge everyone to install it. So far worth it a lot. Even better than Vista premium and it costs you only a bland dvd

Daniel
03-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Well, it's not hard to be better than Vista Premium is it? Win 7 is a beta and thus it's not going to be free for long. As for Win 7 being "rock solid" and "foolproof" I'd seriously doubt if that lasts too long either.

I do know what does run "rock solid" and "foolproof" and that's Mac OS X.

Lol @ Windows...

Windows: Life without Walls Well, if there are no walls then there is no need for Windows, right?

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
I have been using Win 7 beta now. It is so rock solid and foolproof that whenever malware.exe is acting up, it would need your permission.

I urge everyone to install it. So far worth it a lot. Even better than Vista premium and it costs you only a bland dvd

Daniel
03-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I got rid of Norton some years ago, and went with Avast. Have not had one problem since.
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
Well, it's not hard to be better than Vista Premium is it? Win 7 is a beta and thus it's not going to be free for long. As for Win 7 being "rock solid" and "foolproof" I'd seriously doubt if that lasts too long either.

Lol @ Windows...

Regards,
Mike
It is free until Aug (or the product is out) I believe which is a decade in computer term. There must be loopholes but so far not that publisized.

Maybe it is just me as I hardly have problem since the days of Win 95.

Daniel
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol @ Windows...

Windows: Life without Walls Well, if there are no walls then there is no need for Windows, right?

Regards,
Mike
Another tiresome Mac zealot. Why don't you people either get a life or a real religion.
03-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Lol @ Windows...

Regards,
Mike
You should try Arch Linux, Slackware or Gentoo. OS X looks like a squishy rubber ball compared to those.