Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline

Has a movie ever predicted the future of an American city more accurately than Robocop?

Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline - Photo Essays - TIME

Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre Photography - The ruins of Detroit

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090128/METRO08/901280491

03-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just incredible
03-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Really shocking - I'm sure if this city was outside the US, the State Department would warn us not to go there .
03-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

good link, sad decline.

03-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

From my visits to cities that reside in the rust-belt this is not just localized to Detroit. Very powerful images in those links.
03-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, looks like the pictures of the bombed out cities during the Bosnian war...

edit: By the way chek out Yvs Marchands "Forgotten theatres of America" project on his website, amazing stuff!!!

Pat
03-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Damn Brit

Detroit has a higher infant mortality rate than many African countries. I was in Detroit in '92 and we had guns pointed at us within an hour of being there.

03-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Detroit has a higher infant mortality rate than many African countries. I was in Detroit in '92 and we had guns pointed at us within an hour of being there.
And this from a guy who lives in Oakland!
03-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
From my visits to cities that reside in the rust-belt this is not just localized to Detroit. Very powerful images in those links.
Yeah. Gary, Indiana, is a pretty sad place too.
03-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
And this from a guy who lives in Oakland!
East and West Oakland are the hot spots, I'm North luckily.
03-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Banned

although I agree that the motor city is in quite a decline, mostly due to job loss. these kind of photos can be taken in just about every major city in the US and likely any country with large cities. buildings get abandoned, and a lot of times people don't have the interest or money to keep them open or preserved. a fact of life. don't get the idea that Detroit is some sort of post-apocalyptic hell hole, because as bad as it may be in a lot of ways, its not that bad.

QuoteQuote:
and we had guns pointed at us within an hour of being there.
same thing happened to me in downtown Savannah visiting a co-worker to eat at a local BBQ place the first time I went downtown for more than visiting river street.
03-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah. Gary, Indiana, is a pretty sad place too.
Check out this link, for those interested in UE...

It's crazy, though...Gary was the same size as where I live (Madison, WI...200k people) and is pretty much abandoned. Since we're the capital city, that's (really) the only thing that would save us from demise...IF we believe the conspiracy people.
03-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
although I agree that the motor city is in quite a decline, mostly due to job loss. these kind of photos can be taken in just about every major city in the US and likely any country with large cities. buildings get abandoned, and a lot of times people don't have the interest or money to keep them open or preserved. a fact of life. don't get the idea that Detroit is some sort of post-apocalyptic hell hole, because as bad as it may be in a lot of ways, its not that bad.

same thing happened to me in downtown Savannah visiting a co-worker to eat at a local BBQ place the first time I went downtown for more than visiting river street.
Population cut in half since the race riots in the late 60s, from 1.8mil to 900k. Pretty hard to avoid having parts of the city look like a ghost town when that happens.

I read somewhere that the median home price right now in Detroit is $18k. I dunno if that's reliable, but it's certainly believable.
03-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
Banned

Population cut in half since the race riots in the late 60s, from 1.8mil to 900k. Pretty hard to avoid having parts of the city look like a ghost town when that happens.

I read somewhere that the median home price right now in Detroit is $18k. I dunno if that's reliable, but it's certainly believable.
I wouldn't doubt the home prices at all, seems more than likely, though I think the race riots had far less to do with the demise of Detroit than job loss.
03-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I wouldn't doubt the home prices at all, seems more than likely, though I think the race riots had far less to do with the demise of Detroit than job loss.
Correct, the race riots were simply a symptom of the greater problem, but they're a useful dividing line for Detroit before and Detroit after.