Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Congratulations on the weight loss! I bet you feel like a million bucks.

I started my weight-loss on March 1st, weighing in at 262, which on my 6' frame is a little much.

By May 15thI was down to 224 and had gone from 42" pants to 38". So that's, 38 pound in about 10 or 11 weeks.

What I noticed mostly is that my heart palpatations stopped, my hands don't shake, I'm not hungry all the time, no sugar lows during the afternoons and after meals. I have gobs of energy all day long and that includes mental energy.

I haven't been perfect during the last couple of months... drinking some beer with friends. It messed up my loss-cycle for about three days, but I called it a "reward" for my hard work lol.

How did I do it? Believe it or not I changed absolutely nothing but diet. I don't exercise any more than I used to ( which isn't much ) If I exercised as much as you I would probably be much smaller today with a much more muscular body and a stronger heart.

I found that stabilizing blood sugar is the key ingredient to losing weight.

There are so many health advantages to this, that I can't even begin to count them, but fending off Adult-onset Diabetes is one HUGE benefit (or so I've read). To do this, you have to get away from the modern, typical North American diet of processed foods and refined carbs and replace it with unprocessed meats, healthy fats, vegetables and high-fibre foods. Stay away from anything that spikes your blood sugar, such as potatoes, white bread, pasta etc. Unfortunately many if not all fruits fall into this category.

In the next 10 or 15 years I think you'll see conventional widsom thrown on its ear, just as you have in the past. Doctors will start advocating a low glycemic food diet and quit harping on fats as being the killer they say it is now. The tide has already started but it takes time to change opinions.

I did the same diet about 7 years ago and kept the weight off for about five years, but I fell into my old habits and gained it back. But being back on the diet reminds me how great I feel when I'm eating properly, how much energy physically and mentally I have, how much more positive my outlook on life is and so on.

- Andrew

05-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Another great stroy Andrew congrats. Now let me explain my situtation I was not on the Biggest Loser ( I wish haha 6 hour a day work outs with a trainer !) so when I said I worked out 6 days a week for 17 weeks , what that consisted of was 40 minutes of Carido (Elliptical or Treadmill ) Monday - Saturday and then 4 days a week working out with weights (Bowflex and free weights).

So that was only 40 minutes most days and 60 others. But as you suggested - the diet changed and drank copious amount of water. Was very concious of calories and what types of calories.

The one thing I did not do is totally deprive myslef of something I craved. In the Summer I play Slo-Pitch at least once a week and always have a couple of beers after. If I want a Pizza I get it, a cheeseburger I have it. But generally, overall I am still more consious of what I eat.

Last night I was in a 7-11 and I wanted some chips - I looked at a bag of Hickory Sticks (love those) looked at back and saw 400 calories. In 40 minutes carido I don't always get 400 calories burnt, Put the chips back , got home and had some almonds.

It is so easy to fall back into old habbits - I have lost the weight before (never as much mind you) and only managed to keep it all off a couple of years. This time I am more focused (I hope) as the older you get the harder it is haha funny how that works.

Last edited by daacon; 05-20-2009 at 04:18 PM.
05-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
Congratulations on the weight loss! I bet you feel like a million bucks.

I started my weight-loss on March 1st, weighing in at 262, which on my 6' frame is a little much.

By May 15thI was down to 224 and had gone from 42" pants to 38". So that's, 38 pound in about 10 or 11 weeks.

What I noticed mostly is that my heart palpatations stopped, my hands don't shake, I'm not hungry all the time, no sugar lows during the afternoons and after meals. I have gobs of energy all day long and that includes mental energy.

I haven't been perfect during the last couple of months... drinking some beer with friends. It messed up my loss-cycle for about three days, but I called it a "reward" for my hard work lol.

How did I do it? Believe it or not I changed absolutely nothing but diet. I don't exercise any more than I used to ( which isn't much ) If I exercised as much as you I would probably be much smaller today with a much more muscular body and a stronger heart.

I found that stabilizing blood sugar is the key ingredient to losing weight.

There are so many health advantages to this, that I can't even begin to count them, but fending off Adult-onset Diabetes is one HUGE benefit (or so I've read). To do this, you have to get away from the modern, typical North American diet of processed foods and refined carbs and replace it with unprocessed meats, healthy fats, vegetables and high-fibre foods. Stay away from anything that spikes your blood sugar, such as potatoes, white bread, pasta etc. Unfortunately many if not all fruits fall into this category.

In the next 10 or 15 years I think you'll see conventional widsom thrown on its ear, just as you have in the past. Doctors will start advocating a low glycemic food diet and quit harping on fats as being the killer they say it is now. The tide has already started but it takes time to change opinions.

I did the same diet about 7 years ago and kept the weight off for about five years, but I fell into my old habits and gained it back. But being back on the diet reminds me how great I feel when I'm eating properly, how much energy physically and mentally I have, how much more positive my outlook on life is and so on.

- Andrew
Good for you Andrew!

Your story is a mirror-copy of mine!

I have lost this weight through diet; reducing processed sugars and carbs and fatty meats. The amount of potatoes I've had in the past 5 months you could hold in one hand. And those I ate only to be polite to the cook. I've cut out most white things - white bread, white sugar, white rice, white potatoes, white flour pasta and overall reduced the amount of food I eat on a daily basis. It is kind of like 'South Beach' diet 'phase 1', but not completely. I honestly don't miss take-out food one bit. I eat lots of green vegetables, salads and home-made soup (made by me!). Like you said, most fruits are out but occasionally enjoy an apple or banana. I also take daily vitamin supplements - multi, C and D and a garlic pill (for cardio). I told this to my Dr. and she said it all sounded good to her.

I have a lot more energy lately and noticed that I am not winded after long walks like I used to be. Also, my blood pressure is significantly lower than it used to be. I check it daily, so I'm not just guessing. It used to average 140/95 and now is about 115/75.

I haven't felt this good in years.
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Thanks guys. I'm glad I did it, and I'm glad Dave shared his story and got the ball rolling.

Suplements are a MUST. I'm on a diabetic formula designed to keep blood sugar stable - I'm not diabetic although my body is showing signs of insulin resistance due to my poor diet of the last 37 years. Like you J.Scott, no more "whites", except of course, egg white

I LOVE potatoes, however, once my blood sugar stabilized, I no longer crave them.

I honestly have not checked into the South Beach diet; I hear good things. I don't want to tell anyone I do Atkins... but I do lol. I just know that once you mention that name people jump all over that and call it unhealthy. If one's understanding of the diet is incorrect, then yes call it what you will. I eat more vegetables and healthy foods on this diet then I ever did trying to follow Canada's food guide. When I first did the diet I thought I may change my physical, but it did just as much for my mental. I didn't know at the time I was suffering from hypoglycemia (chronic low blood sugar) which is brought on by insulin resistance. I was suffering from mood swings, loss of energy and poor sleeping patterns - or should I say my family was suffering from it? At any rate, the unexpected benefit of the diet was a steadying of the blood sugars. Now that I've become aware of this, I view ALL foods with my glycemic index eyeglasses. I used to dread meals because I knew what I would be like after them, but I had no idea why. Now I can eat until I'm completely satisfied and not suffer mood swings or fatigue.

Anyway, I'm rambling All I wanted to do was congratulate Dave on a job well done and I just kept going lol.

- Andrew

05-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #50
Damn Brit

Congratulations Andrew.
07-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #51
Inactive Account

I'm ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-k!

I'm still shrinking to greatness!

My weigh-in this morning tells me I am down 70 pounds from when I started this in January. I'm feeling better every day!

I've given all my clothes to charity and bought new duds.

I've gone from wearing 3XL t shirts to simply Large and down from a 44" waist to wearing 36" to 38 " waist pants (depending on manufacturer and type of pant).

Just 30 pounds to go! I will succeed!
07-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I'm ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-k!

I'm still shrinking to greatness!

My weigh-in this morning tells me I am down 70 pounds from when I started this in January. I'm feeling better every day!

I've given all my clothes to charity and bought new duds.

I've gone from wearing 3XL t shirts to simply Large and down from a 44" waist to wearing 36" to 38 " waist pants (depending on manufacturer and type of pant).

Just 30 pounds to go! I will succeed!
That is awsome Jeff - keep it up - Me I have slipped and have not worked out for a couple of months. I have gained back about 7lbs. I do plan to get back at it. Summer is a busier time and I am more active , however not active enough the scale tell me as I also indulge in more well ... Beer and other high calorie BBQ's.

I am not upset with myself at all - I will get back into a routine. You are an inspiration indeed. 70lbs is damn near a whole person.

07-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
That is awsome Jeff - keep it up - Me I have slipped and have not worked out for a couple of months. I have gained back about 7lbs. I do plan to get back at it. Summer is a busier time and I am more active , however not active enough the scale tell me as I also indulge in more well ... Beer and other high calorie BBQ's.

I am not upset with myself at all - I will get back into a routine. You are an inspiration indeed. 70lbs is damn near a whole person.
Thanks for the kind words Dave.
I agree, summer's a tough season to lose weight.
I've had a few weeks were my weight just leveled off, but fortunately haven't gained any back.
Remember too, I started at 282; so I had to lose significaantly more than you.
I've passed from 'obese' to simply 'overweight' - some day I'll be 'normal'.

What keeps me going is the fact that I gave myself a whole year to accomplish my goal of 100 pounds; this is only half way!

I will make it, and so will you!
07-18-2009, 03:06 AM   #54
Inactive Account

.... Ahem .....

I said I lost 70 freakin' pounds of blubber!

Would it hurt any one (other than Dave, of course) to leave a word or two of freakin' encouragement?

I have a friend in LA that has to lose 250 pounds or die! With his tummy stapled up smaller than a walnut he has no choice now!

How 'bout saying something nice for all us chubbies trying to get healthy?
07-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Buy a bicycle and do anything to keep your mind off food. It doesn't work in all cases, but it did in mine. Don't know how much I lost, I was never morbidly obese, but I feel better about myself now.