Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dome shooting / restrictions (St. Loiuis)

I am going to be going to the AMA Supercross race at the Edward Jones Dome (enclosed) this coming weekend and wanted to see if any had experience in taking a larger camera bag.

I would prefer to take my larger bag (Lowepro Slingshot 200AW) but noticed that the dome frowns upon bringing in larger bags. I have a smaller bag which I could bring, but this means hanging my Sigma 70-300 off of the side which I try to avoid.

Has anyone brought such a bag to this venue specifically?

Here is the policy:
QuoteQuote:
CAMERAS & VIDEO RECORDERS
Still camera photography is permitted with lenses of reasonable length that do not obstruct the view of other fans. Digital cameras are permitted as long as they do not record video. The use of tripods is not permitted. Video recording of any game action is strictly prohibited by the National Football League. Fans observed filming the game will have their video camera confiscated.

Large Bag Policy
Guests who arrive with large bags will be instructed to return the bag to their vehicle. Large bags will not be “claim-checked” at the gates. If the guest arrives with a large bag and did not drive to the dome, the guest will not be permitted to bring the bag into the event and the bag will not be claim-checked. Guests may dispose of the bag at an outside trash receptacle.
And the bag:

03-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

What is their definition of a large bag? A duffel bag is a large bag and compared to that, your Lowepro is small. They need to specify instead of make it up as they go along.
03-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
What is their definition of a large bag? A duffel bag is a large bag and compared to that, your Lowepro is small. They need to specify instead of make it up as they go along.
Exactly. The problem becomes of course that the agent at door 1 could have a different definition than the agent at door 2.
03-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I never have problems at venues like that. I just put evetything I want to take in in my wife's "survival kit" bag behind her wheelchair. Nobody ever checked that bag, they just ask what's it for. So, if you want to take extrea material in, you have to go with somebody in a wheelchair (note that I haven't said somebody disabled). But you do that at your own risk.

03-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few years ago I went to the Dome for the Supercross races, and took my K110D, Kit lens, and an old Kiron 80-200. I used my Lowepro Nova 3 AW, which isn't a LARGE bag, but it isn't tiny either. They looked through it, but let me in no problems. I will be using it again this year, instead of my Slingshot 200, JUST in case they won't let it in. Really, all you need is a long zoom, and a wide lens, so room isn't a problem for me. I'll be sitting in the nosebleed seats again this year, as you can see ALL of the action up there, plus it's still only a ten spot !!
A few shots from that day

03-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is the picture of the bag you want to take? maybe you should send it to them and ask them to verify that it will be allowed into the arena.

Then print up the reply and take it with you when you go. Show it to any overzealous security folk you come across.
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I wonder if you even open the bag for them to see what's in it, if they would let you through. Atleast then they could see that you don't have a video camera or a bomb in there.

03-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm surprised they don't specify a bag size. Fenway Park in Boston lists 16x16x8 inches as the maximum size. They will probably inspect the contents of the bag.
03-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
A few years ago I went to the Dome for the Supercross races, and took my K110D, Kit lens, and an old Kiron 80-200. I used my Lowepro Nova 3 AW, which isn't a LARGE bag, but it isn't tiny either. They looked through it, but let me in no problems. I will be using it again this year, instead of my Slingshot 200, JUST in case they won't let it in. Really, all you need is a long zoom, and a wide lens, so room isn't a problem for me. I'll be sitting in the nosebleed seats again this year, as you can see ALL of the action up there, plus it's still only a ten spot !!
A few shots from that day
I will probably be taking my Tamrac Velocity 6 (pictured below). The only pain is that the Sigma does not fit well on the side pockets and usually has to be mounted in order to fit. Given this, three lenses would be hard to take and I'll be pretty limited to 2 lenses which will probably be just fine. As I'll be showing around some out-of-town friends, it's always nice to have a selection from which to choose from. I really need to get a nice wide angle...

03-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I ended up just taking my Super Tak 28 3.5, and S-M-C Tak 200 f4. And it is looking like I REALLY need to practice my manual focusing skills But I did manage a FEW decent shots.. 2009 St. Louis Supercross - a set on Flickr

I haven't gone through all of 'em yet, as I was out rather late after the races, so hopefully I can add a few more to my collection..
03-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Some good shots in there, especially the girl holding the panel with "30" on it. I wonder why you took that picture...
04-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ok Mike, where are your supercross shots? haha