03-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
...though WRC has gone to hell...
Care to elaborate?

03-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

A lot of the major manufacturers are pulling the factory teams, and they're going to a series spec that many fans and most teams aren't too pleased with.

Similar situation to F1, actually, except that the F1 changes actually have a slim chance of helping.
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

The only time I watch non-sports TV is weekday nights. It's our 'family time' and anything that gets us all together in this day and age is a good thing. I like Jeopardy, Seinfeld reruns, and Fox seems to be our network of choice (House, Fringe, Lie To Me, and American Idol).

Other than that, it's HGTV or ESPN for me...
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Care to elaborate?
It's all but dead and needs a revival. There are not enough factory teams so you have the best driver in the sole factory team andhe just keeps winning.

Motorsport struggles when there is not enough factory teams, it works best as either factory dominant or none at all. It's like thos eHonda engines in the 80's, everyone thought they were just awesome nut they were battling who exactly? Some poor bastard at Judd trying to make 1200HP from 3.5 litres?

03-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
It's all but dead and needs a revival. There are not enough factory teams so you have the best driver in the sole factory team andhe just keeps winning.

Motorsport struggles when there is not enough factory teams, it works best as either factory dominant or none at all. It's like thos eHonda engines in the 80's, everyone thought they were just awesome nut they were battling who exactly? Some poor bastard at Judd trying to make 1200HP from 3.5 litres?
I loved watching 80s F1 racing, where there weren't any factory teams. Lotus was in there, but you can hardly call three blokes in a shed in Norfolk a factory team.

Last edited by ftpaddict; 03-19-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: english not my first language.
03-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
but you can hardly call three blokes in a shed in Norfolk a factory team.
it was the 80's
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Right you are, and those times should be back. Racing was done on a shoestring budget (compared to today's multi-million euro funfair), and it encouraged innovation. The outcome of the race rested on the driver's shoulders, as the cars were more or less equally matched.

Nowadays it's all about Ferrari (to be fair, they've never missed a season), McLaren, Renault and BMW Sauber. How about the others?

03-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Keep an eye on this season. Things could really get shaken up. Honda/Brawn of all teams have been topping practices left and right, and McLaren appear to be really struggling.

Renault will be using KERS, and are thusfar the only team to confirm its use for Melbourne. Iiinteresting.
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Renault will be using KERS, and are thusfar the only team to confirm its use for Melbourne. Iiinteresting.
Still rooting for Renault (ex. Benetton). Hope they come back in force this year.
03-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Man, PC gaming is dead. Microsoft killed it.
Actually there are quite a few people that still play PC games. Though most of the people we play with on the internet are all in their 40's with a few kids that usually hack and take the fun out of it.
03-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Funny how the fasted internet possible in the U.S. is still a fraction of the speed for internet in most of Europe.
Cable High Speed over here is relatively fast but the downside is that you can only send and receive small picture files.
Well, for certain areas, cable is the fastest we have. And in this very behind the times area, I pay for the 10mb cable for about $70 a month. If we lived about 5 miles west, we'd have only dialup because we'd be too far away from the main interstate that the cable line follows. Which is the reason why we can never move out to the country, lol.
03-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Actually there are quite a few people that still play PC games. Though most of the people we play with on the internet are all in their 40's with a few kids that usually hack and take the fun out of it.
I still play PC, which is why I'm so cynical (five hundred dollars for a console is a bit of joke, really.)

It's just that Microsoft really, really, really, really, really would like all PC gamers to buy an Xbox, as they're progressively crippling the games that are eventually released on it. After all, Microsoft got nary a cent from my PC hardware purchases.

Games For Windows Live, what I'm talking about...an attempt to fix something that wasn't broken.
03-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I don't watch any of the big networks nor do I watch the propaganda "news" channels.

Most of my TV watching involves PBS, the History Channel, Science Channel, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, Current TV, Link TV, Documentary Channel, Independant Film Channel.

For level headed international news I'll sometimes watch the BBC world news, le Journal Suisse.

Pat
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #44

Yes I still watch a lot of TV...not a chance I'm missing a Laker game.
03-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I still play PC, which is why I'm so cynical (five hundred dollars for a console is a bit of joke, really.)
Big ditto on that.
PC gaming will never be dead as long as there are those people willing to shell out big bucks for the latest hardware that can run Crysis at 2560 x 2048 with Ultra High details on.

FWIW, professional gaming is still the realm of the PC.