Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you think??

I closed in my Carport with 7' x 10' doors so I could park my Riding Lawnmower and the wifes Tricycle and a few other things so no one would steal them.
Does it make the house look bigger? or does it look worse?

03-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that the doors look fine, just like most houses do. I know that carports in Fla. are common, but they're limited in their usefulness. What did you do about enclosing the side of the carport/garage?
03-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

Looks better. Going with 2 small doors is the right thing to do. Did that on mine when we had it built. The masons didn't like it because it left one block in the middle but looks better.

Carports were the old way. Most houses built in the last 15 years are garage. At least on the east coast of the west coast
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

looks better to me, matches the rest of the house

03-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The openings were 11' 8" wide and I would have had to special order 11' wide doors that cost about double. I left the screened in porch and I still have to put siding on the inside wall.

03-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, that looks just fine. Personally, I like carports, too, but that's useful. (Shaded outdoorish space is my friend)

It could maybe use a little decoration there between the doors, for a little more visual balance with the white. (Like maybe putting the house number back, even. I don't think it'd take much.)

*seeing new pictures and scratching my head.* Where'd the windows go?
03-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think it looks a lot better with the doors.

Car ports are almost inexistant here, most houses have a garage. Thats why a house with a carport actually looks weird to me. Garage doors on the other hand look normal.

I agree with Ratmagiclady, you need to break up the white a bit... I'd probably put a planter with flowers or a small tree between the 2 garage doors.

Pat

03-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

Use the space between the studs for shelving. Only thing I'd be worried about is all those open walls during the next hurricane.
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What do people with carports do to store tools, lawn stuff, compressors, etc? Separate shed?

I couldn't imagine NOT having an enclosed garage...
03-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
What do people with carports do to store tools, lawn stuff, compressors, etc? Separate shed?

I couldn't imagine NOT having an enclosed garage...
If you have that stuff you don't buy a house with a carport. Or put up a shed if there's room. My "collection" got so big I had to build a barn. And that's getting filled too in addition to the garage and the shed and the workshop. Get more "stuff" put up another building, that's all. Think I need another 4 acres instead of just the 1+
03-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
If you have that stuff you don't buy a house with a carport. Or put up a shed if there's room. My "collection" got so big I had to build a barn. And that's getting filled too in addition to the garage and the shed and the workshop. Get more "stuff" put up another building, that's all. Think I need another 4 acres instead of just the 1+
Kind of like needing to build extra shelves in the closet to hold all the camera stuff, since the occasional bag just wouldn't hold everything any more.
03-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Kind of like needing to build extra shelves in the closet to hold all the camera stuff, since the occasional bag just wouldn't hold everything any more.
Actually I had to build extra closets.

For Damn Brit

03-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

now you can't see anyone stealing from the front
03-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
now you can't see anyone stealing from the front
That's what the CCTV cameras are for.
03-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #15