Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
Damn Brit

Rather than being tried he should be offered a job protecting the security of the systems he hacked into IMO.

03-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Grey Hatting? That would be like the Pentagon admitting error.

They don't rank too highly on that.
03-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Free Kevin!
03-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #19
SGT
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
He is NOT a killer, terrorist or Rapist. He admits to his errors and wishes to be judged in a more humane society. One that does not kill their own...
You say "he admits to his errors", you mean crimes don't you??

My guess is that you are a supporter of Roman Polanski as well.

03-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SGT Quote
You say "he admits to his errors", you mean crimes don't you??

My guess is that you are a supporter of Roman Polanski as well.
No, absolutely NOT
03-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Free Kevin!
Free Sarah Tonin!
03-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Really, I don't think the fundamental question that needs to be asked after someone breaks into "dozens of military computers" as well as NASA is what country he will be tried in.
The question that comes to my mind is who the hell is running computer security for the Pentagon?
Really, this sounds like Larry, Moe and Curly are in charge of US military security.
I agree that security at those computers were in question and time a hack occurs. However, you apparently fail to realize that some Autistic and Asperger's people are brilliant in certain areas. There are some with Ph.D.s in engineering. My step son is going on 20. He has been with me since he was 2 and a half and was diagnosed with Autism right after I met him. He has a driver's license and is in college.

However, my overall point is he could have got out of this thing with 6 months in a minimum security facility and 6 months probation. Therefore the outcry is misplaced on this. Hell, they may have offered the guy a job after the 6 months.

03-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Rather than being tried he should be offered a job protecting the security of the systems he hacked into IMO.
They may very well have done that after the 6 months in a low security prison. It wouldn't be the first time.
03-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I agree that security at those computers were in question and time a hack occurs. However, you apparently fail to realize that some Autistic and Asperger's people are brilliant in certain areas. There are some with Ph.D.s in engineering. My step son is going on 20. He has been with me since he was 2 and a half and was diagnosed with Autism right after I met him. He has a driver's license and is in college.

However, my overall point is he could have got out of this thing with 6 months in a minimum security facility and 6 months probation. Therefore the outcry is misplaced on this. Hell, they may have offered the guy a job after the 6 months.
I'm not failing to realize anything, I've worked with enough autistic people to know how absolutely brilliant they can be within certain parameters.
I've also worked with enough of them to realize that their reality doesn't necessarily conform to the reality of the non afflicted.
The fellow in question here may well have thought the entire thing was a lark, and no more serious than jaywalking.

My point still is, though, why is security at Pentagon computers so lax that a person can break into dozens of them? I would think there should be more of an outcry regarding the security apparently being run by a group of Barbary Apes.

I also find it odd that Britain would consider extraditing one of it's citizens to a country that not only doesn't have a reciprocal treaty in place, but also a history of ignoring due process, using torture as a means of coercion, and not granting foreign nationals protections under it's legal system.
03-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #25
Site Supporter

. . .

My point still is, though, why is security at Pentagon computers so lax that a person can break into dozens of them? I would think there should be more of an outcry regarding the security apparently being run by a group of Barbary Apes.

. . .
You are implying that hacking those computers was easy. Are you assuming that because an Asperger's guy did it, it must be easy?

Then how the devil do we deal with Bill Gates?

Diagnosing Bill Gates - TIME

Some Government agencies actually have people that get paid to try to hack them, and another group that gets paid to figure out what they are doing to stop them. It is sort of like the coyote and sheep dog cartoon on Bugs Bunny. I had a couple of college buddies that did just this thing at ORNL back in 1992 for over a semester. However, this incident was in 2001-02 so it is possible a result of some of the Clinton military cuts.
03-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You are implying that hacking those computers was easy. Are you assuming that because an Asperger's guy did it, it must be easy?

Umm, no.
You really seem to be having comprehension problems with my posts.
Do I need to use smaller words?
03-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not failing to realize anything, I've worked with enough autistic people to know how absolutely brilliant they can be within certain parameters.
I've also worked with enough of them to realize that their reality doesn't necessarily conform to the reality of the non afflicted.
The fellow in question here may well have thought the entire thing was a lark, and no more serious than jaywalking.

I also find it odd that Britain would consider extraditing one of it's citizens to a country that not only doesn't have a reciprocal treaty in place, but also a history of ignoring due process, using torture as a means of coercion, and not granting foreign nationals protections under it's legal system.
Hear, Hear!!!
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Umm, no.
You really seem to be having comprehension problems with my posts.
Do I need to use smaller words?
Why don't you diagram your sentences. You certainly implied that for an Asperger's individual to have hacked the computers, they must have been manned by Moe, Larry and Curly or the Barbary Apes.

It is pretty typical for you though when you get on the back side of a debate to resort to insults.

I'll be the first on on the block to back up people that fall under the PDD. I have advocated for nearly 2 decades to see that autistic and asperger's children get the opportunity to attend regular classes in elementary and high school given their abilities.

I don't think the deal for 6 months and 6months probation was unreasonable in this situation.
03-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
Red

All attacks against the US should be legal under international law because America is bad.
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

There's one key point nobody has mentioned, and it was the basis his extradition was fought on.

Plea Bargaining (in the form Americans know it) is considered abuse of the legal process in the UK, and most other countries. Therefore, his prosecution, for a crime he was arrested for under ENGLISH law should surely be by english rules? No? It's not like they wouldn't be able to successfully prosecute him in an English court...

On the other hand, if he is guilty (and that is for a court to decide), he should face the appropriate penalty (again for a court to decide), according to the actual law he was alleged to have broken...

The whole extradition thing just seems rather unnecessary, and a little suspect.