03-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Free Gary McKinnon

Free Gary McKinnon - or at least try him in the UK

03-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Smart enough to hack into the government computer system but to dumb to realize it was against the law and face jail time! Ben, I don't think you would be supporting this if he broke into your studio, rummage through your private files used you equipment and finally brag about how dumb you were to only put 3 locks on your front door and blame the corner store for selling a crowbar to someone obsess with photography...
03-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
Smart enough to hack into the government computer system but to dumb to realize it was against the law and face jail time! Ben, I don't think you would be supporting this if he broke into your studio, rummage through your private files used you equipment and finally brag about how dumb you were to only put 3 locks on your front door and blame the corner store for selling a crowbar to someone obsess with photography...
Autism is funny that way.
03-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Autism is funny that way.
That is the ironic truth.

03-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Gary McKinnon deserves no special treatment by the courts, either in the UK or USA. He committed crimes in the United States by hacking into computers throughout the country, causing a considerable monetary loss for this country (and it's taxpayers), thus should be extradited to the United States to stand trial and face punishment.

His diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome after the fact, a diagnosis sought by his legal team, is just a bit too convenient to be believed. Regardless, Asperger's syndrome (an mild form of autism distinguished by impaired social interaction and restricted or repetitive interests) does not in any way inhibit his ability to understand right from wrong. If he can work, pay rent, maintain a bank account, purchase a car, obtain a drivers license, and purchase a computer to hack into other computers, he can stand trial and be punished for that latter misbehavior.

stewart
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Gary McKinnon deserves no special treatment by the courts, either in the UK or USA. He committed crimes in the United States by hacking into computers throughout the country, causing a considerable monetary loss for this country (and it's taxpayers), thus should be extradited to the United States to stand trial and face punishment.

His diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome after the fact, a diagnosis sought by his legal team, is just a bit too convenient to be believed. Regardless, Asperger's syndrome (an mild form of autism distinguished by impaired social interaction and restricted or repetitive interests) does not in any way inhibit his ability to understand right from wrong. If he can work, pay rent, maintain a bank account, purchase a car, obtain a drivers license, and purchase a computer to hack into other computers, he can stand trial and be punished for that latter misbehavior.

stewart
As usual Stewart, you are sooo compassionate. 70 Years!!! They are asking for 70 Years Dammit!!!!

Stewart..I would prefer that we stop communicating all together. Your lack of compassion and empathy is just so repugnant in my opinion.

Your affinity for violent confrontation is endemic at best. Do your research. He DID NOT damage the computers. That was a requirement that would give the prosecutors the precident and jurisdiction to have him extradited!

As of now (and YOU did break the camel's back), you are "Persona non grata"

Bye.

Last edited by benjikan; 03-25-2009 at 02:11 PM.
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
He is NOT a killer, terrorist or Rapist. He admits to his errors and wishes to be judged in a more humane society. One that does not kill their own...

Last edited by benjikan; 03-25-2009 at 04:37 PM.
03-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The Asperger's card may work better in the U.S. courts than the U.K. courts. Heck, Eric Holder may even get him a pardon.
03-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

As usual Stewart, you are sooo compassionate. 70 Years!!! They are asking for 70 Years Dammit!!!!

Stewart..I would prefer that we stop communicating all together. Your lack of compassion and empathy is just so repugnant in my opinion.

Your affinity for violent confrontation is endemic at best. Do your research. He DID NOT damage the computers. That was a requirement that would give the prosecutors the precident and jurisdiction to have him extradited!

Bye.

Hey Ben, how is 6 to 6.5 years equate to 70 years?

U.K. Hacker Gary McKinnon Plays the Asperger's Card | Threat Level from Wired.com
03-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If you follow the chronology of this case, he was looking at 60-70 years.

This stems from the following article on the US Dept Of Justice site:
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/mckinnonIndict.htm

I.e. 7 counts of computer fraud, each with a sentence of up to 10 years.
03-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

(snip) Stewart..I would prefer that we stop communicating all together. Your lack of compassion and empathy is just so repugnant in my opinion.

I was addressing the issue raised, not communicating with you, Ben. Further, I'm an American taxpayer directly impacted by Gary McKinnon's crimes, while you're a Canadian living in France with no personal interest in crimes committed in the USA by someone from the UK.

Gary McKinnon did indeed cause damage in the form of downtime and a financial loss from the necessity to even further increase security in the 92 computers he hacked into. This monetary loss (estimated at $900,000, not counting investigative costs) comes out of my pockets and the pockets of every other American taxpayer.

As for what you think about my compassion, empathy, or methods of confrontation, I really couldn't care less. As for your persona non grata nonsense, this is a public forum and I will continue to post where I want until told otherwise by someone of true importance on this forum - which means the moderators or forum owner, not you.

stewart
03-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter

If you follow the chronology of this case, he was looking at 60-70 years.

This stems from the following article on the US Dept Of Justice site:
London, England Hacker Indicted Under Computer Fraud and Abuse Act For Accessing Military Computers (November 12, 2002)

I.e. 7 counts of computer fraud, each with a sentence of up to 10 years.
Those aren't likely to be sequential but concurrent. And that would be the max anyway.
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I was addressing the issue raised, not communicating with you, Ben. Further, I'm an American taxpayer directly impacted by Gary McKinnon's crimes, while you're a Canadian living in France with no personal interest in crimes committed in the USA by someone from the UK.

Gary McKinnon did indeed cause damage in the form of downtime and a financial loss from the necessity to even further increase security in the 92 computers he hacked into. This monetary loss (estimated at $900,000, not counting investigative costs) comes out of my pockets and the pockets of every other American taxpayer.

As for what you think about my compassion, empathy, or methods of confrontation, I really couldn't care less. As for your persona non grata nonsense, this is a public forum and I will continue to post where I want until told otherwise by someone of true importance on this forum - which means the moderators or forum owner, not you.

stewart

People have been known to bomb the Pentagon and made Distinguished Professors at major universities.

I agree with you regarding your posting even though you and I frequently disagree on some view points etc.

Edit: Anything that effects National Defense is of interest to all Americans, especially if NORAD goes off line.
03-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Here is the perspective on this case and why the response. He actions occurred in 2001-02!

QuoteQuote:
The former systems analyst is accused of hacking into the computers with the intention of intimidating the US government.
It alleges that between February 2001 and March 2002, he hacked into dozens of US Army, Navy, Air Force, and Department of Defense computers, as well as 16 Nasa computers.
Prosecutors say he altered and deleted files at a naval air station not long after the 11 September attacks in 2001, rendering critical systems inoperable.
However, Mr McKinnon has said his motives were harmless and innocent. He denies any attempts at sabotage.
He said he wanted to find evidence of UFOs he thought was being held by the US authorities, and to expose what he believed was a cover-up.
BBC NEWS | UK | Hacker loses extradition appeal

On top of that, it is thought to be the biggest U.S. military hack ever, at least up to that point.

Edit: He left this message on one of the computers:

QuoteQuote:
As part of his quest he left this message on an Army computer in 2002: "U.S. foreign policy is akin to government-sponsored terrorism these days.... It was not a mistake that there was a huge security stand down on September 11 last year ... I am SOLO. I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels."
Autistic or not, that was very bad ju ju, especially at that time.

He then passed up this offer in 2003:

QuoteQuote:
In 2003 McKinnon rejected a written plea offer that would have given him six months to a year in a U.S. low security prison, followed by a transfer back to the UK for parole six months later. He then fought extradition while claiming that America wanted to ship him off to Guantanamo Bay. He lost his extradition appeal before the House of Lords in July, and turned to the human rights court in a last ditch effort to avoid standing trial in the country he hacked.
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/uk-hacker-gary.html

Based on that, I don't think any of the outrage is warranted not to mention his age.
03-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here is the perspective on this case and why the response. He actions occurred in 2001-02!

BBC NEWS | UK | Hacker loses extradition appeal

On top of that, it is thought to be the biggest U.S. military hack ever, at least up to that point.

Edit: He left this message on one of the computers:

Autistic or not, that was very bad ju ju, especially at that time.

He then passed up this offer in 2003:

U.K. Hacker Gary McKinnon Plays the Asperger's Card | Threat Level from Wired.com

Based on that, I don't think any of the outrage is warranted not to mention his age.

Really, I don't think the fundamental question that needs to be asked after someone breaks into "dozens of military computers" as well as NASA is what country he will be tried in.
The question that comes to my mind is who the hell is running computer security for the Pentagon?
Really, this sounds like Larry, Moe and Curly are in charge of US military security.