Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very annoyed!

I spent most of the week in Sydney this week and had the good fortune to take my new FA50mm f1.4 lens. Nice lens and I'm really happy with it (pictures later).

During dinner on Friday night my blower (a 20 year old rubber bulb that has served me well) dropped out of my bag somewhere and was lost!

So on my last day before the trip home to Adelaide I went in to George's Camera store on York St Sydney and bought a Haldex blower/brush/cloth kit thinking it looked like good value.

When I got it home, I noticed a crack on the bulb (you can almost live with that) and the fact that it had previously been opened (which is a bit suspicious)

The annoying thing is that today I noted a spot of dust on my sensor which wouldn't come off with the dust removal function.

So I tried to blow it off with the new blower, and wound up with about 10 spots of dust on my sensor. On trying it again, it multiplied to about 30. Getting really concerned, I blew on the lens filter and noticed lots of little spots of grey - coming out of the bulb! The blower is a dud! I'd been sold a pup!

And the really annoying thing is I don't live in Sydney!! So its not easy to get a refund/return and I need a new blower and cleaning kit to sort out my camera! Therefore I am very annoyed

I've sent Georges a request to refund my money if I send it back to them (via a friend in Sydney) and hope to have a favourable outcome!

Moral of story - be careful buying kit unless you inspect it first!

03-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they put some chalk powder inside to prevent the aging of the rubber.
a good blower should have a filter to prevent such issues.
In my experience (in such a situation), the best is the cleaning Kit from Pentax.
That dust must get out of the camera, or there's a good chance it will end up back on the sensor.
The sensor is electrostatic charged when is on, so it will attract the dust that is not trapped bu the sticky surface at the bottom.

Last edited by octavmandru; 03-28-2009 at 03:18 AM.
03-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Damn Brit

That is why we only recommend the 'Rocket Blower'.
03-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Australian purchases are protected, Moi. They have to either refund you or replace the kit. A call to Consumer Affairs might even garner a professional clean of your sensor paid for by George's

03-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Australian purchases are protected, Moi. They have to either refund you or replace the kit. A call to Consumer Affairs might even garner a professional clean of your sensor paid for by George's
Thanks Kris - I'm not familiar with NSW consumer laws....but I'll keep that in mind if I get no joy from Georges (they should have a chance to respond).
03-30-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

National consumer protection laws are the same MoiVous, they have to sell merchantable goods, in other words capable of performing the task they were designed to do, so with that big crack in the blower it becomes a non merchantable good.
04-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That is why we only recommend the 'Rocket Blower'.
Does the rocket blower have a filter, to avoid dust coming out of it ?
(I see the one I got is called Rocket Air, from Giotto)

04-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

you should be annoyed cause you went go Georges... heh...

everytime i go there i come out pretty much annoyed (assuming their service people talk to me anyway)

next time you're in sydney, go to Paxtons over in Wynyard, or Teds down Pitt Street... they're better (and Teds sells rocket blowers)