Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone actually SOLD to KEH?

Hi, everyone!

I have a gently used K10D body on my hands, and I'm considering my options for selling. While my first choice is our own trusty forum, I wanted to ask if anyone has actually sold gear to KEH and how the experience went.

I have no fear that they are honorable, but I'm wondering if they're expecting to buy the gear at low "firesale" prices. I suspect most of their sellers are folks who have inherited gear and "just want to get rid of it" without having a clue what it is worth.

I don't want to waste time going through the process if they're going to want me to part with my 1-year-old K10D for 250 dollars.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

germar

03-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't speak for KEH - but in general (I have brought used gear to Mcbain camera, a retail outlet before) they will not offer you much. You have to consider their costs, cleaning, space, staff, etc. I sold a used Sigma Lens I think I paid $300+ for $60 and there was nothing wrong with it about 1 year old. (was a weak moment as I was buying a new lens there haha)

You could probably sell a used K10 here for between $450 - $350 I would be surprised if BEH offered you $250 actually (perhaps if you were also going to buy something)

You will get more on a private sale without a doubt.

Last edited by daacon; 03-29-2009 at 08:26 AM.
03-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Hi, everyone!

I have a gently used K10D body on my hands, and I'm considering my options for selling. While my first choice is our own trusty forum, I wanted to ask if anyone has actually sold gear to KEH and how the experience went.

I have no fear that they are honorable, but I'm wondering if they're expecting to buy the gear at low "firesale" prices. I suspect most of their sellers are folks who have inherited gear and "just want to get rid of it" without having a clue what it is worth.

I don't want to waste time going through the process if they're going to want me to part with my 1-year-old K10D for 250 dollars.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

germar
My bet is they would bid $175 for a used K10D and offer it for $350.

In 2005 I got a bid for 65 or 70 film-related items, including paper and hoods, I had purchased from KEH and eBay in fits of LBA (before that particular obsession was named), then had remorse. I meticulously cleaned everything and sent small photos.

They bid between 40% and 50% below the prices of the exact same items on their website. Considering the cost of carrying all that inventory, an 80% to 100% markup makes sense, but - I was angry at my pending loss.

When I phoned - not understanding and outraged - the buyer took pity on me and showed me how to become an eBay seller. I bought a digital camera on ebay and spent hours on Sundays researching, looking at Completed Listings, trying to find repeat sellers such as jco who had an identity and trying to mimic how they market, writing detailed descriptions and photographing the items. It took several months to sell the lot, plus some more items. Considering the amount of work I did, I think I earned the prices I got, and I better understand why KEH asks for such a markup.

Excellent. well-lighted photographs are the significant determining factor in a successful sale, followed by description and a fair starting price.

I about broke even cash wise on the entire lot.

I finally sold the digital camera - Olympus E20n - on eBay last fall after no one here showed any interest - even though roentarre stood up for the camera as very fine for its time.

Side benefit - I still have the links I found researching on the internet - even though I have always had Pentax cameras and lenses I learned quite a lot about Pentax gear.

I also leaned that paper items, hoods, caps and cases have little to no value when sold WITH a lens - they have to be sold separately to get any value. Considering that is how I bought them all it makes sense that I should sell them that way. Sometimes the complete set of box and papers is helpful. Newer items that might still be in stock somewhere are often crossed about 35% below retail even with all the "stuff." I guess that represents the buyer's sense of risk.

A recent CLA is a toss-up. If an informed buyer who wants that particular model comes across a CLA'ed camera, it will sell at the BIN price almost immediately. Otherwise it can sit for two or three relistings before someone reluctantly bids the start price or buys it.
03-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Questions answered ...thank you.

My thanks to all the feedback, I had a feeling this would be what I would learn.

KEH is in business, and I understand they are going to have to buy low and sell high. When you need a clean piece of gear with low risk, then they are clearly the place to go. But I personally hate it when a rookie private seller tries to use KEH as a de facto "blue book" to arrive at a selling price, which is usually 40% over what the user to user market will pay. You can waste a huge amount of time trying to convince a new seller you're not trying to rip them off.

Yea, I see a good bit of interest for K10D bodies in the Marketplace, I will shoot some pics and post it for forum's consideration.

Also, apologies to the forum for originally posting in the wrong section.

germar

03-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
My thanks to all the feedback, I had a feeling this would be what I would learn.

But I personally hate it when a rookie private seller tries to use KEH as a de facto "blue book" to arrive at a selling price . . .

germar
That is a consequence of posting fixed-price listings.

I did say the buyer took pity on me

As a consequence, when I want a special or rare item, I shop at KEH before I search on eBay, and I tell them that every time I buy something.

They earned my business and loyalty by being fair and understanding. I repaid the gift by doing the work.
03-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's always disheartening to get a quote for used gear from any dealer.
For most items you will get 50% more selling it privately, so always try that first.

I have had several items that I couldn't sell privately for what I consider a fair price
and so sold them to KEH, most recently a mint black MX body I had advertised here.

Chris
03-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #7

KEH

I have bought from them on occasions and they have a good rating system for their items--but recently I was trying to sell a SMC "K" 300mm F4 that I bought from them a year ago for 300+ in EX condition and they offered me $80 for it and when I asked why, they said they already had one in stock!