Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Need some prayers

Hi everyone,

I could use your thoughts and prayers. My wife is pregnant with our first child (she's about 8 weeks along) and we just got notice that the house we are renting is in forclosure. Apparently our landlord (who lives in Tennessee) hasn't been paying the morgage on the house here in Michigan and now it's in forclosure. My wife and I are going to start looking for a new home tomorrow but finding a decent house to rent for less then $1100 (which is what we are currently paying) here in Michigan is quite difficult to find. Just so you know my wife and I are not interested in buying a home simply because the economy is so bad here in Michigan we are hoping to move out of state after the baby is born, so we don't have an option to buy...plus I wouldn't want to buy in Michigan anyways.

Thanks everyone.

03-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You got it. Good luck hunting, and remember that we can't pretend to know what He has in store for us.
03-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you sure you can't find something cheap to rent in Michigan? Everyone I know who lives there complains about how the housing market is an utter disaster so it seems like you'd be able to find some decent deals.

e.g. Rental Duplex/Fourplex in Cadillac, MI 49601 - $650 per month

Not sure if that's a good example or not, but I know my coworkers in Grand Rapids are having troubles even finding people to rent these days...
03-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Not Registered

I lived in Ann Arbor (a pretty good place to raise a kid) and we payed less than 900 USD months for an annual lease (975 month by month). It was possible to find cheaper rents than that in the area.

Good luck on your search and good luck with your kid.

03-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will send our thoughts and prayers - best of luck.
03-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that. At least you've got some time before the baby's due. Hopefully you've got a few weeks to look before you have to move too. Good luck.
03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best of luck with the home search and baby.
03-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats on the baby and good hunting on new digs.

03-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager

There's still time - keep searching, and you'll find what you're after.
Congrats and all the best.
03-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you are paying that kind of money for rent, you should be looking to buy instead, especially with the depressed prices here in Michigan. In fact, if you like where you are living, why not contact the landlord's bank? Trust me, they don't want the house, and may be happy to let you assume the mortgage.
03-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Talk to the bank and see if they will continue to rent to you. Can't hurt to try.
03-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds pretty tough. 23 years ago my (now ex-) wife and I were in a similar position. She was 8 months pregnant with our first child and the house we were living in was repossessed. We were given two weeks to vacate. Fortunately, we were blessed with being able to find another rental quickly and get settled in time for the birth.

Your situation is in my prayers and I am confident that a solution will present itself.

Steve
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sounds pretty tough. 23 years ago my (now ex-) wife and I were in a similar position. She was 8 months pregnant with our first child and the house we were living in was repossessed. We were given two weeks to vacate. Fortunately, we were blessed with being able to find another rental quickly and get settled in time for the birth.

Your situation is in my prayers and I am confident that a solution will present itself.

Steve
It doesn't work that way in Michigan, It can take between 3 to 6 monthes to evict someone, plus there is a moritorium on evictions around the Christmas holidays which can extend the time even more.
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Isn't the new owner (in this case the bank) on the hook for the remainder of the lease on the house?

I know it's different in every state and province, but here a lease remains valid for it's duration regardless of who owns a house (including the bank).

Pat
04-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Need more prayers

Hi everyone,

I could use as many prayers / good thoughts as possible. My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and we just found out the house we have been renting is in forclosure. The owner apparently hasn't been paying the morgage and we will be without a place to live in 30 days. We really hope we can find a place (cheaper then what we are currently paying) but we haven't had much luck and it's making me to my stomach.

Thanks