Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just recently posted an item on Craigslist and the first two responses were nearly identical: "I am interested in buying your item. Is it still available? Please reply asap." The generic quality of the note, the fact I got it a few minutes after actually posting (of course it's available I just posted it), and of any specific question just put me off ... my only guess is that they're mining for live email addresses for spam lists.

Treachery everywhere, you've got to be careful.

germar

04-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I just recently posted an item on Craigslist and the first two responses were nearly identical: "I am interested in buying your item. Is it still available? Please reply asap." The generic quality of the note, the fact I got it a few minutes after actually posting (of course it's available I just posted it), and of any specific question just put me off ... my only guess is that they're mining for live email addresses for spam lists.

Treachery everywhere, you've got to be careful.

germar
Make that 3 nearly identical notes within 24 hours of posting. Each written slightly different. All hotmail or gmail accounts.
04-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Forum Member

scam the scammer

I seen on tv. This guy was selling a laptop. I guy in England wanted. The guy sent a check that was for to much and shipping label. He knew it was a scam. The guy want him put $200 on the duty slip so the tax was lower. So he fill up a box with junk and put $1000 on the duty slip. He received a nice email from the guy for quick shipping. He tracked the package and seen it was picked up. And sent the guy a email and hoped he like the laptop. Never heard from him again.
04-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
Forum Member

If I get a CL response mentioning an "item" and not asking specific questions I delete it and don't look back. A prospective buyer will ask for details.

On the flip side, I've had a couple of very positive buying experiences on CL. One was for a 50mm/f4 SMC-M macro in Boston and the other was for a Spotmeter V in Rhode Island, both purchased via Paypal after enough exchanged email to convince me that I was dealing with legitimate people. Yes, there was some risk involved but it was an amount I was willing to take.

Brad

04-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
racinsince55

As a follow up.

The check from the guy who claimed to have written it for $1K too much has not shown up. I have gotten a couple of e-mails asking when I was going to deposit the check and make the WU transfer. I have not responded to any of them.

As I had a couple of items to ship that I had sold here, I made a trip to the Post Office on Monday. While there, I spoke with the Postmaster. She smilingly advised me, since I'd already figured out it was a scam, to bring the envelope, check/MO and copies of all of the e-mails that I had recieved. They tend to frown on fraud perpetrated through the US Mail.

A valuable lesson has been learned here.
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Send him a reply that you trasfered his "check" to the Postal Inspector and FBI for mail fraud

Pat
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
A valuable lesson has been learned here.
indeed.

are you going to hand over the material to the USPS?

04-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #23
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
indeed.

are you going to hand over the material to the USPS?
Yes Sir. As soon as/if it arrives, it will be on its way to the USPS!
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

By the way if the "check" ever shows up, be sure to handle it carefully to not ruin any fingerprints on it (in case there are some).
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #25
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
By the way if the "check" ever shows up, be sure to handle it carefully to not ruin any fingerprints on it (in case there are some).

Yep! I'll simply open the envelope, look to see what's inside, then take it to the PO. There will have been so many hands on the outside, there will be no need to be careful.
04-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my area lately we have had someone policing the photo listings calling out the people who are trying to selling $350 Sigmas for $450 and Minolta film outfits for $500 that were $300 when they made them eight years ago. It is a little funny. He is just trying to help people who may not know pricing very well but he does come across as a little over zealous sometimes.
04-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #27
racinsince55

And........ More!

Recieved the "Cashiers Check" in the mail today just after noon. Postal service has it in their posession as of 3PM.

I openend the envelope just enough to see that there was a cashiers check inside.

r
04-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
"I will have a friend pick up the lens as soon as you recieve my check."
Perfect opportunity to use your photography skills.
04-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

if the postal inspector decides to run a sting op to catch those scammers are you up to it :P

he he he!
04-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #30
racinsince55

I've been advised by the scammer that since I haven't responded to any of his e-mails, I'm trying "run away" with his money and he is reporting me to the FBI.