Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
racinsince55

Craigslist & Scammers

I have a couple of lens that I will be selling. So, I decided to start my process by listing them on craigslist.

I listed an FA 50 on Monday and an FA 35 on Tuesday.

Within and hour of posting each, I received a response.

the first was on the FA 50. "I want the lens, what is your PayPal address and the price shipped to NYC".

I responded with the addy as it is a different addy than I used when listing the item.

This morning, on my normal addy, and not the paypal addy, I get an e-mail from 'PayPal' It says, "A payment has been made to your account by _______ and we will credit your account as soon as you have verified shipment with a USPS tracking number which must begin with CP or DJ." "Please send us an e-mail with the shipment verification and PayPal will transfer the funds to your account."

The next e-mail on the list is from the "buyer" and it says "I have made a payment to your paypal account." " I have added $45 to your price as I would want you to ship it directly to my husband who is a missionary in Nigeria." "Please notify me when it has shipped."

Well, I forwarded the "PayPal" e-mail to spoof@paypal.com and within an hour, I recieved an e-mail from them saying that the e-mail I had forwarded to them was, in fact, bogus.

Can you say "SCAM!"

the second tranaction on the FA 35.

The response is "I live in Florida and will be in your town in 10 days. I want the lens. I will be sending you a check in payment so that you can hold the lens for me until next week." I send the mailing address to him. (that was the first mistake)

This morning, I get an e-mail that the check has been sent but his Secretery has made the check for $1,300 instead of $300 with the comment "This should not be a problem. Please deposit the check and hold an extra $50 for your trouble and send the overpayment back to me via Western Union." "I will have a friend pick up the lens as soon as you recieve my check."

Yeah, right. I can just see that $1,300 check coming back in about 14 days as "Account Closed" or "No Such Account."

The said part of this whole thing is... How many people fall victim to these types of scams everyday?

My initial thought was that both of these transactions were legit. but, you really don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to see that they are scams.

One thing both scammers had in common. their e-mail accounts were both _____@gmail.com. Coincidence?

Analysis, be very cautious if using Craigslist.

04-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've had this happen so many times on Craigslist it's rediculous. I simply politely write them back saying I only deal locally.

Anything I sell on Craigslist is pick up in person & pay cash. It's the only way to fly...
04-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I sold a laptop though craigslist a year ago, and before finding someone really interested in a serious transaction, I received tons of scam emails from people 'ready' to offer me $400-500 in addition to my price, just as a compensation for my 'effort'. Needless to say, they all wanted me to ship the computer somewhere and accept paypal or money order payment. Craigslist works only if you can meet with your potential buyer in person--otherwise, to say it's risky is an understatement.
04-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I hope you filed fraud charges with whatever law enforcement agency is concerned in both cases?

I know it's probably useless, but as my old man says "if you throw enough crap at a wall, chances are some will stick".

Pat

04-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
I have a couple of lens that I will be selling. So, I decided to start my process by listing them on craigslist.

I listed an FA 50 on Monday and an FA 35 on Tuesday.

Within and hour of posting each, I received a response.

the first was on the FA 50. "I want the lens, what is your PayPal address and the price shipped to NYC".

I responded with the addy as it is a different addy than I used when listing the item.

This morning, on my normal addy, and not the paypal addy, I get an e-mail from 'PayPal' It says, "A payment has been made to your account by _______ and we will credit your account as soon as you have verified shipment with a USPS tracking number which must begin with CP or DJ." "Please send us an e-mail with the shipment verification and PayPal will transfer the funds to your account."

The next e-mail on the list is from the "buyer" and it says "I have made a payment to your paypal account." " I have added $45 to your price as I would want you to ship it directly to my husband who is a missionary in Nigeria." "Please notify me when it has shipped."

Well, I forwarded the "PayPal" e-mail to spoof@paypal.com and within an hour, I recieved an e-mail from them saying that the e-mail I had forwarded to them was, in fact, bogus.

Can you say "SCAM!"

the second tranaction on the FA 35.

The response is "I live in Florida and will be in your town in 10 days. I want the lens. I will be sending you a check in payment so that you can hold the lens for me until next week." I send the mailing address to him. (that was the first mistake)

This morning, I get an e-mail that the check has been sent but his Secretery has made the check for $1,300 instead of $300 with the comment "This should not be a problem. Please deposit the check and hold an extra $50 for your trouble and send the overpayment back to me via Western Union." "I will have a friend pick up the lens as soon as you recieve my check."

Yeah, right. I can just see that $1,300 check coming back in about 14 days as "Account Closed" or "No Such Account."

The said part of this whole thing is... How many people fall victim to these types of scams everyday?

My initial thought was that both of these transactions were legit. but, you really don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to see that they are scams.

One thing both scammers had in common. their e-mail accounts were both _____@gmail.com. Coincidence?

Analysis, be very cautious if using Craigslist.
This thing happened but not on craigslist

A similar thing happened with my colleague when someone approached him for a modeling gig and offered him a 400$ advance, but told him that he had $1300 check and he had to send the extra money back. My colleague fell for it, took the check, deposited the money, and sent the money back to the guy and later realized that the name on the check and the guy who had talked to him was different. He contacted the bank and saw that the check got cleared(which was a surprise) and the bank notified the original account holder and came to know that the check book was stolen!!!
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The only thing Craig's List is good for is local transactions, and for that, it's a great place. Ebay and Paypal have done a decent job of providing measures to "protect" (yeah right) buyers, but at the total expense of the sellers. There are so many loopholes in Ebay/Paypal for a buyer to screw the seller that it's ridiculous.

In either of these outlets, you just have to be savvy, and use it to your advantage––at least not to your disadvantage.
04-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #7

+1 to those who have said deal locally. It's ridiculous how many scammers are out there. And they'll try to scam you on pretty much any type of ad ... it's sad.

04-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I wouldn't even bother replying back to them, just delete the email and move on.
04-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Banned

if you weren't planning on dealing locally only why did you choose craigslist and not the marketplace here or ebay or something... of all places, craigslist?
04-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if you weren't planning on dealing locally only why did you choose craigslist and not the marketplace here or ebay or something... of all places, craigslist?

It was simply worth a try. I'll most likely post both lens here later on.
04-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Banned

It was simply worth a try. I'll most likely post both lens here later on.
I disagree, one should know or educate themselves before hand about the market in which one places things for sale. live and learn. luckily no harm done.
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I disagree, one should know or educate themselves before hand about the market in which one places things for sale. live and learn. luckily no harm done.

OK, I have been properly chastised. Thank you. However, I was educated enough to not fall for the scam.
04-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Banned

OK, I have been properly chastised. Thank you. However, I was educated enough to not fall for the scam.
no argument there.
04-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I have sold tons of laptops and software on Craigslist and get those scam emails every single time. I reported the first couple, but it so commonplace that they don't even check it out unless you actually fell for it.

Now I just delete them or torment them a little in a few emails - "Sure sounds like a great deal, by the way... your typing is very sexy. Are you single?" etc... etc...
04-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just about every time I list something on Craigslist, I get scammer emails like that. I only deal IN PERSON, IN CASH with Craigslist buyers.