Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Psst. It's not even coffee, it's dark brown water, my dishwater tastes more strongly of coffee than their 'coffee'.
Umm, remind to say no next time you invite me for dinner!

While I'm not a big coffee drinker, paying vast sums for a cup in town just seems daft to me! Give me hot chocolate nay day

04-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #32
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Umm, remind to say no next time you invite me for dinner!

While I'm not a big coffee drinker, paying vast sums for a cup in town just seems daft to me! Give me hot chocolate nay day
There's a strong possibility I wouldn't be inviting you for dinner
Of course I wasn't speaking literally when I made that comparison. But you knew that really...didn't you?

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-07-2009 at 12:55 PM.
04-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have one cup of coffee a day, I make it at home in a one cup coffee maker I have had for over 20 years ( I do clean it every once in a while) The cost per cup is about $.17 per cup. When I was on the road and drinking between 2 and 4 Pots a day, I could sit in any truck stop and drink all I wanted for about $1.09. that Starbucks crap is just that crap. It's so bitter you need to add so much sugar just to get the bitterness out. Starbucks is for those milkshake drinkers that don't know what good coffee is all about.
One small scoop of good Colombian and a 14 ounce mug of water is the ticket, and if you really need a boost, some good Jamaican rolled just right by hand and a couple of tokes with the Colombian really starts the day off right.
As for the cigarettes Well even the RYO has gone from $1.10 per pound to $25.00 per pound. It's better to smoke Jamaican, you get more out of it per toke.
04-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I roast my own beans. Green coffee beans are cheaper than store-bought beans, and take only minutes to roast.

Trust me. You haven't tasted coffee until you've had coffee from freshly roasted beans.

Once roasted, coffee beans begin to deteriorate in quality. The deterioration accelerates once the beans are ground. And the only way I know of to guarantee freshly roasted beans is to roast them yourself.

Wanna learn more? Go here: Home Coffee Roasting Supplies - Sweet Maria's

04-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

i pay a lil over 3$ for a venti black eye...
i could buy cheaper.. but starbucks has the strongest coffee i can get...
i used to think the same way..(why pay that much for coffee?) but having tried others...
it is a bitmuch..but it gets me through until midday...
04-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I roast my own beans. Green coffee beans are cheaper than store-bought beans, and take only minutes to roast.

Trust me. You haven't tasted coffee until you've had coffee from freshly roasted beans.

Once roasted, coffee beans begin to deteriorate in quality. The deterioration accelerates once the beans are ground. And the only way I know of to guarantee freshly roasted beans is to roast them yourself.

I'll bet you like M42 lenses, too...
Some leather flavored Takumars, ey?
04-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
i used to think the same way..(why pay that much for coffee?) but having tried others...
it is a bitmuch..but it gets me through until midday...
Well that's a big part of it right there. I don't "need" (and really nobody should) any coffee to get me through the day. However my body does tend to have a physical addiction to caffeine, so I have to watch the ways in which I consume anything with it to avoid the headache that comes from a total withdrawal.

04-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Of course I wasn't speaking literally when I made that comparison. But you knew that really...didn't you?
I believe absolutely everything you say. Honest guv.
04-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #39
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote

But are they estate beans. Any less is a sin.
04-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Well that's a big part of it right there. I don't "need" (and really nobody should) any coffee to get me through the day. However my body does tend to have a physical addiction to caffeine, so I have to watch the ways in which I consume anything with it to avoid the headache that comes from a total withdrawal.
getting through midday just means until i can get my ass out to lunch, and get some fresh air, and not fall asleep in my desk...
I used to drink 2 of those a day, but w/ a changed lifestyle, i just get by w/ one now.
Fortunately I dont get withdrawal like you from caffeine..

having a long commute, and little or next to nothing on sleep...I need all the help I can get...(at times..but not always)

coffee's about the most i'll get from there, those other "designer" drinks they can keep...(note, it is cheaper outside of NYC...my 3+ cost only about 2 and change by where I live in NJ)
04-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
I've been in Starbucks a couple times...I have no idea what/how to order. Does the "black eye" mean "dark roast"? I know what the venti part means but why the hell can't it just be a medium?

Have you ever brewed your own? As many tablespoons per cup as you like I put in 3 per 20oz (or venti? ) cup...currently drinking kind of a mild "breakfast blend" with a little darker "french roast" hint.

Mmmmmmmm...but...it's 1:30am now. Come tomorrow morning I'll have my daily cup
04-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Starbucks is dying in the arse down here, and rightly so. Misinterpretation of the local hot beverage culture.

See, we don't drink that much coffee. Ask for coffee at some Aussie's house, and you'll probably get instant (unless you're dealing with yuppies.)

Drip filter, which is all Starbucks is okay at, hasn't been regularly drunk here since, well, since forever. Percolator's were common.

However, after WWII, there was an influx of Italian immigrants, to strangle the Snowy River and whatknot, and with them came espresso. So too came the Greeks, and the Turks, but Greek/Turkish/Arabic/Persian-style coffee never really took off.

Espresso's what we drink when we go to a café. It's better than drip filter for hospitality situations, too, because because portion control's easy, and it's brewed fresh each time (for consistency.) Plus is looks fancy, and it's perfect for all those pansies who can't handle real coffee.

Put it simply: I'd rather decent drip over decent espresso. But it's evens if they're both excellent.

There're a ton of good espresso roasters down here - Merlo, Di Bellas, Grinders is ok, but after that, we get kinda lost.

Give me Merlo in the morning, Di Bellas at night.

Wait, where was I going with this?

Oh, yeah, we're not big on coffee. True coffee. Real coffee.

We are big on novelty drinks, though, being the bunch of sad, postmodernist what's-the-difference-between-an-Aussie-and-a-tub-of-yoghurt, cultureless b*stards. Oh, yes, that whipped cream frozen drink has zero fat. But you know what? You're body does a good job of converting - an excellent job, really - all that sugar into fat.

Which is why they say a frappe thingummy is more fattening than a Big Mac.

Once, when my dad worked in Sydney, he told me a story about why he hates Guinness (bear with me, here.)

When the first wave of Guinness popularity took off, roundabout the mid-nineties, Dad'd be in the bar, alone, waiting to order a schooner of Tooheys. Toohey's takes about 20 seconds to pour, like most normal beers, depending taps, skill, etc.

But, oftentimes, he'd get stuck behind a mob of yuppies (being Sydney, after all) all ordering pints of Guinness.

A pint of Guinness, done right, takes 115 seconds to pour.

So dad'd be stuck there for five minutes or longer, just to order a beer. He'd have exact change, because that's the kinda guy he is.

Now, I don't drink beer much, but with me and coffee, there's a scary parallel.

Yes, I used to drink Starbucks, because I like drip and it's hard to find down here. Their espresso is an affront unto Kaldi, but still better than Gloria Jeans (bunch of money-grubbing plenary-indulging Bible-bashing megachurch con artists.)

So, I'd be waiting in line at Starbucks, $2.40 in hand to get me a Venti coffee of the day, normally with some androgynous, effete emos in front of me.

Then I here their order. One double-decaf iced coffee frappe, hazelnut syrup, soy milk, cream, sprinkles, acai berry, the pubic hair of an albino yeti, or whatever, something that takes two minutes to order, and about six months to make.

So, when I eventually get to order my drip, everyone's tied up making up the emo kid's magic potion, scrambling to find the eye of newt and wing of bat - no, the lite wing of bat, not the regular fattening stuff. And the hazelnut-flavoured eye of newt, please, not the caramel.

Shites me to tears. There's been many a time I've considered just knocking to two emos heads together, and ordering first.

And then when I get to order, they never have any drip filter coffee on .
04-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #43
graphicgr8s

But do they put anisette into the espresso? Gotta have anisette. And perc is definately better but who has time. Now look what you've done. Tomorrow I am buying another perculator. Curses
04-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #44
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Brown Gold Columbian
Chris
Sounds like something you need rolling paper for. So you have the Colombian Connection?

Did I really type that?
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #45
Damn Brit

Reminds me of the first time I ordered espresso, too long ago. I didn't realise it came in such a small cup. I finished it in one or two sips. My friend had his back to me so I just kept replenishing my little cup by dipping it in his big cup. My other friends were pissing themselves laughing while the guy who's coffee it was couldn't figure out where his coffee had gone.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Starbucks is dying in the arse down here, and rightly so. Misinterpretation of the local hot beverage culture.

See, we don't drink that much coffee. Ask for coffee at some Aussie's house, and you'll probably get instant (unless you're dealing with yuppies.)

Drip filter, which is all Starbucks is okay at, hasn't been regularly drunk here since, well, since forever. Percolator's were common.

However, after WWII, there was an influx of Italian immigrants, to strangle the Snowy River and whatknot, and with them came espresso. So too came the Greeks, and the Turks, but Greek/Turkish/Arabic/Persian-style coffee never really took off.

Espresso's what we drink when we go to a café. It's better than drip filter for hospitality situations, too, because because portion control's easy, and it's brewed fresh each time (for consistency.) Plus is looks fancy, and it's perfect for all those pansies who can't handle real coffee.

Put it simply: I'd rather decent drip over decent espresso. But it's evens if they're both excellent.

There're a ton of good espresso roasters down here - Merlo, Di Bellas, Grinders is ok, but after that, we get kinda lost.

Give me Merlo in the morning, Di Bellas at night.

Wait, where was I going with this?

Oh, yeah, we're not big on coffee. True coffee. Real coffee.

We are big on novelty drinks, though, being the bunch of sad, postmodernist what's-the-difference-between-an-Aussie-and-a-tub-of-yoghurt, cultureless b*stards. Oh, yes, that whipped cream frozen drink has zero fat. But you know what? You're body does a good job of converting - an excellent job, really - all that sugar into fat.

Which is why they say a frappe thingummy is more fattening than a Big Mac.

Once, when my dad worked in Sydney, he told me a story about why he hates Guinness (bear with me, here.)

When the first wave of Guinness popularity took off, roundabout the mid-nineties, Dad'd be in the bar, alone, waiting to order a schooner of Tooheys. Toohey's takes about 20 seconds to pour, like most normal beers, depending taps, skill, etc.

But, oftentimes, he'd get stuck behind a mob of yuppies (being Sydney, after all) all ordering pints of Guinness.

A pint of Guinness, done right, takes 115 seconds to pour.

So dad'd be stuck there for five minutes or longer, just to order a beer. He'd have exact change, because that's the kinda guy he is.

Now, I don't drink beer much, but with me and coffee, there's a scary parallel.

Yes, I used to drink Starbucks, because I like drip and it's hard to find down here. Their espresso is an affront unto Kaldi, but still better than Gloria Jeans (bunch of money-grubbing plenary-indulging Bible-bashing megachurch con artists.)

So, I'd be waiting in line at Starbucks, $2.40 in hand to get me a Venti coffee of the day, normally with some androgynous, effete emos in front of me.

Then I here their order. One double-decaf iced coffee frappe, hazelnut syrup, soy milk, cream, sprinkles, acai berry, the pubic hair of an albino yeti, or whatever, something that takes two minutes to order, and about six months to make.

So, when I eventually get to order my drip, everyone's tied up making up the emo kid's magic potion, scrambling to find the eye of newt and wing of bat - no, the lite wing of bat, not the regular fattening stuff. And the hazelnut-flavoured eye of newt, please, not the caramel.

Shites me to tears. There's been many a time I've considered just knocking to two emos heads together, and ordering first.

And then when I get to order, they never have any drip filter coffee on .