Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Joe McNally and Strobist in USA Today

Not Pentax specific but Joe McNally is featured in the Green section of the USA Today (Money section) on page 3B. Strobist also gets a mention. Pretty good write-up in the in-set blurb about not needing >$1K worth of lighting gear to get good results.

Money quote from McNally:

"Natural light is beautiful, but what will you do when there is no light? How can you go into a coal mine and get shot, or do a garage band at night? If you say, 'I'll never use a flash,' then you've lopped off many opportunities."

I love McNally's work I've seen on Strobist and it just shows me there are so many more facets to this hobby I need to learn.

04-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

McNally has a couple of great books out. Worthy reading for anyone wanting to do lighting.
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, been meaning to pick up his new book. It's Nikon centric but what he does can certainly be applied to other setups too.
04-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Flash sucks.

(It must....I've heard it said too many times for it not to be true).

04-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a url for a USA Today article (mentioned earlier in this thread) on Joe McNally and Strobist:

Photographers eager for flash of knowledge - USATODAY.com

In addition, if you search for Strobist at the USA Today website, you'll find an earlier article about McNally and Strobist.
04-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Not Pentax specific but Joe McNally is featured in the Green section of the USA Today (Money section) on page 3B. Strobist also gets a mention. Pretty good write-up in the in-set blurb about not needing >$1K worth of lighting gear to get good results....
I own McNally's new book and have read about half of it so far. Yes, it's very Nikon-centric and I find that somewhat off-putting. It's not that he mentions his Nikon products at every opportunity, it's that he almost never acknowledges that his reader might be using anything else, and he very seldom talks about general principles.

The other thing I don't like about the book is the silly style, which is kind of like Scott Kelby's silly style but even more childish. I don't mind a writer being entertaining or writing with a breezy, friendly style. But the [insert subject here] for idiots style wastes space that could be used for real information. McNally may talk about a shot for three pages - and a third or more of that text sometimes is just taken up with useless blather.

Nevertheless, when he's not being silly, he's often saying stuff that I find pretty interesting and I'm glad I bought the book. It's mostly "case histories" - short chapters about particular shoots with particular kinds of lighting challenges, almost all of which he dealt with using small flash units rather than fixed lighting. He's big on the use of multiple flash units triggered wirelessly - and he seems to be big on using wireless pre-flash triggering rather than radio triggers.

Natural light photography and flash photography are two different challenges. They seem to me as different as visual flight rules (VFR) flying and flying with instruments.

Will
04-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the silliness is just him, not some attempt to make the book more accessible or anything. His blog entries are informative but also light and humorous.

04-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #8

It's not that he doesn't consider other readers. He mentions in the book (Hot Shoe Diaries) that it's not a manual. It's basically chronicles how he got the shot to work.

So he used Nikon, he's going to tell you exactly what he did. That's all the book is, and I love it for that.