Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The /3gb swith isn't for RAM detection, it's for RAM allocation, and I think isn't needed for OS's past 32 bit XP. (snip)

I understand. The /3GB switch increases the size of the user process address space from 2 GB to 3 GB - each application will use a maximum of 2 GB, while multiple applications will fill whatever memory is available, each individual application using no more than 2GB. However, when I said detection, I meant many modern motherboards (my ABIT with optimized settings, for example) now detect the OS and amount of RAM installed, and set the hardware equivalent of this switch automatically. In other words, setting the switch manually in the boot.ini file is less frequently required (hopefully much less frequently in the future).

stewart

04-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
i don't normally stumble into this part of the forum, but I did today and saw this, and had to chime in.

Go Mac. Once you do, you'll never go back. You'll see how laughably dumb Windows is.
I got my first Apple in 2003. I've been Mac only for over 2 years now (before I still had a custom built-PC i played games on).
Now I have a 20" iMac, loaded with RAM, running bootcamp so I can reboot into Windows XP to play a few games (older ones that aren't cross platform).

The construction of the iMac keeps your desk area so clean, but there are a million cords everywhere.

It's whisper quiet.

OSX is leaps and bounds easier to use than Windows. 99.9% of the software you use on your Windows machine is available for OSX, and usually, better. OSX is so stupid easy to use, you'll wonder how so many people have bothered to figure out each increasingly complex iteration of Windows.

I haven't needed Windows in 2 years.

Oh also...no spyware, malware, or viruses. Yeah. You don't need to worry about that anymore. No need to keep paying to update your Anti-virus, (or find a way to pirate it). No more running Spybot, etc.

And for people who argue about price, well, you get what you pay for. PCs that run you $400 really are pieces of garbage. It'll show.
I spent around $1200 for my iMac. Worth every penny, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

And yes, your external will work. Mine that was previously hooked up to that PC I spoke of, is now hooked up to my iMac.
OSX can read and write to FAT32, read NTFS, but not write to it (I think). THough right now my external is formatted for OSX. But it doesn't matter.

So, anyway, yeah, get an Apple. Contribute to the solution, not the problem.

(PS: I did build computers for fun previously - before I got my first Apple. And while building highly customizable machines is fun - I did it for myself, friends, and family - you still end up with the one fatal flaw: Windows, an ugly box, cords everywhere).
I use macs at work infrequently at work. Can't stand them. . My PC's at work run the same programs and I can most assuredly get things done faster on the pc. The biggest problem I have is drivers aren't available for some of my equipment for the Mac.

Macs are built for people who use the creative side of the brain. PC's are for people who can and want to use both sides. Don't go around with half your brain tied behind your back. Go PC
04-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just get an ubuntu/knoppix livecd, and watch your "outdated" "underpowered" pentium 4 with 2G of memory come back to life.

i know this is offtopic completely, but what the hell is wrong with the world? i can understand planned obsolency is a viable business strategy but i would think there are limits before people get fed up and just turn and walk away without a word (the way vista has been received seems to point out that microsoft finally managed to go over that limit)

linux would give you the best of both worlds: a stable , reliable, easy to use and efficient OS, and making good use of your already very adequate hardware, i am unsure, however, how happy you would be without lightroom (no version for linux yet, i think, though there are alternatives), so this is unlikely to be a solution for you (though i am unsure: if you are willing to go through the trouble to replace your hw and migrate to another os, perhaps just migrating to a decent os without the hw part, and having the advantage you can use the same os on both laptop and desktop imediately, might make it worthwile considering -- it would save you a lot of headache in the long run; i have a hunch though you are not willing to let go of lightroom and the likes)

sorry to rant so far off the track, but something clicks up there when i hear people calmly talking about poor performance with desktop pentium 4's with 2G of RAM and so on, and how more memory and a quad core is required to get things done (not blaming the people for it, it just drives me mad)

in short, seeing as you are not very technically/it inclined (right?), maybe you can consider linux if you have a friend who knows it and can help you with the initial migration/occasional help, otherwise, probably not. you can still give it a try with a livecd though (nothing to install), just for kicks, to see how your computer is not really outdated, applications are not supposed to crash or freeze, and so on

ranting mode, off.
04-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

(snip) The construction of the iMac keeps your desk area so clean, but there are a million cords everywhere.

It's whisper quiet.

I think you intended to say there are few cords with an iMac. If so, buying a similarily constructed PC (wireless networking, wireless device connections, etc) would garnish the exact same thing.

QuoteQuote:
99.9% of the software you use on your Windows machine is available for OSX, and usually, better.

Even Apple wouldn't make such a boldly absurd claim today. The only real way to accomplish that is to configure a dual-boot computer with both Windows and Mac OS installed. However, when you're running Windows on that hardware, you really have nothing more than a PC with an over-priced Apple logo on the front (none of the Mac OS's supposed benefits touted by you).

Also, can't really imagine operating and maintaining two operating systems on a single computer contributes more to "ease-of-use" than just using a single, more capable (software, hardware, etc), operating system (like Windows) in the first place.

QuoteQuote:
(snip) Oh also...no spyware, malware, or viruses. Yeah. You don't need to worry about that anymore. No need to keep paying to update your Anti-virus, (or find a way to pirate it). (snip)

If one uses bootcamp to reboot into Windows XP, which you claimed to do, then one obviously still needs virus protection. The many freeware anti-virus products are good and painless alternatives to those commercial products.

QuoteQuote:
And for people who argue about price, well, you get what you pay for. (snip)

Apple charges $250 for a single 1GB RAM module for the iMac, while NewEgg and TigerDirect each charge less than $40 for a pair of brand-name (Crucial) 1GB RAM modules identical to that sold by Apple.

stewart

04-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
the motherboard being maxed out at 2GB and a Pentium 4 processor
that's your problem, not Windows. Pentium 4 sucks, especially with intensive apps like image software. Even he pentium D is terrible in that aspect. I'm not telling you to not get a mac, I'm just telling you to weigh all your options. I am however a "best bang for buck" kind of guy, when it comes to electronics, so I will most likely never own a MAC..

At this point, I'm leaning towards doing one of 2 things--either upgrading the motherboard, processor and adding RAM to my current PC or having one custom built. There's a local shop around here that has a really good reputation not only for their service, but for using quality components in the PCs that they build. Obviously, they're more expensive than a big box store, but having access to the great service would be worth it for me.
I advise against using a local shop. Building a custom PC yourself usually saves you a bit of cash and having a shop do it will neglect that benefit. So either try to build it yourself, or get a pre-built system from dell for example...

And for people who argue about price, well, you get what you pay for.
Ignorance is bliss, right?

Last edited by dave sz; 04-12-2009 at 05:32 PM.
04-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If it weren't for the fact that I've already spent so much money on Lightroom, I might give more consideration to giving Linux a try, even though I don't know of anybody in my circle locally who runs Linux. Keep in mind that I also use a Windows-based laptop; I share the laptop with my husband and he would have a fit if I decided I wanted to switch operating systems on that machine.

I've done some poking around on Dell's website and it looks like I could get a good deal from them if I decide to go that route. I think I'll still look into upgrading the motherboard and processor before making a final decision about what to do.

The husband thinks I should just start saving up for a whole new computer.

Heather
04-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
graphicgr8s

If it weren't for the fact that I've already spent so much money on Lightroom, I might give more consideration to giving Linux a try, even though I don't know of anybody in my circle locally who runs Linux. Keep in mind that I also use a Windows-based laptop; I share the laptop with my husband and he would have a fit if I decided I wanted to switch operating systems on that machine.

I've done some poking around on Dell's website and it looks like I could get a good deal from them if I decide to go that route. I think I'll still look into upgrading the motherboard and processor before making a final decision about what to do.

The husband thinks I should just start saving up for a whole new computer.

Heather
Heather, if you do decide to get a Dell call them instead of doing it on the internet. That's what I did and the results were better. I use to build systems to supplement income and just found that it was easier to just order one than to build myself.

04-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Apple charges $250 for a single 1GB RAM module for the iMac, while NewEgg and TigerDirect each charge less than $40 for a pair of brand-name (Crucial) 1GB RAM modules identical to that sold by Apple.

stewart
well only an idiot would buy from Apple. I didn't. I bought a GB stick from crucial for $35. Put it in myself. You just slide it into a port at the bottom of the computer.

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Ignorance is bliss, right?
Actually, my bliss is founded in fact. Thanks though.
I've worked with computers for many years.

But since the original poster is already set on buying a PC, I'll just leave it at that.
04-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #24
graphicgr8s

But since the original poster is already set on buying a PC, I'll just leave it at that.
She's a very smart woman so what do you expect?

Don't forget is Microsoft hadn't put 150 million dollars into apple they'd be gone.
04-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Apple charges $250 for a single 1GB RAM module for the iMac, while NewEgg and TigerDirect each charge less than $40 for a pair of brand-name (Crucial) 1GB RAM modules identical to that sold by Apple.t
just a side note... you don't have to buy the apple ram... i've got mac-compatible kingston ram in my imac... cheaper..

and just so i dont sound like an apple-fag trying to defend the company (cause apple sure does need defending </sarcasm>), i bought my iMac (back in 2006) cause i needed a unix-based system (i'm a software engineer) with a capable user interface and good support... as well as to be able to use my favourite applications from Adobe...

i also game on this... for example i use CrossOver Games to play Guild Wars...
04-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I think I'll still look into upgrading the motherboard and processor before making a final decision about what to do.
depending on what mobo and processor you get, your current components might not work. If you have DDR memory and get a ddr2 mobo/cpu, you'll have to upgrade the ram as well. Just upgrading the cpu/mobo might not be worth the hassle...
04-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Actually, my bliss is founded in fact. Thanks though.
I've worked with computers for many years.
Hahahaha, it's not fact just because you tell yourself it's true. BestBuy employees work with computers, and TVs many years yet when I ask them what the refresh rate on a TV is, they tell me 10:000 to 1. I wish you luck going through life with the whole "you get what you pay for" mentality. After all, if that was true, wouldn't you be using canon or nikon instead of pentax?
Isn't APPLE the worst company in the history of companies when it comes to marking up prices on everything? $400 iphone costing $80 to make, $200 ipod costing $50 to make? Sorry but you're just a fanboy and a pure brand loyalist. It's sad...

Last edited by dave sz; 04-13-2009 at 04:03 PM.
04-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
graphicgr8s

This debate could go on forever. Macs and PC's are both good systems. As are canikons. All will do their job. It's just which one you started using and are familiar with. What irritates me is the elitist arrogance of the Mac users in general. But alas they need somthing to justify spending way to much on a computer.

It may not matter what you use but just in case I'll stick with a Pentax and a PC. (Thanks to whoever I just stole this line from)
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
This debate could go on forever. Macs and PC's are both good systems. As are canikons. All will do their job. It's just which one you started using and are familiar with. What irritates me is the elitist arrogance of the Mac users in general. But alas they need somthing to justify spending way to much on a computer.

It may not matter what you use but just in case I'll stick with a Pentax and a PC. (Thanks to whoever I just stole this line from)
agreed... i really dont like the elitist arrogance of mac users these days...

and although i bought a 2006 iMac (first intel model) i've been wanting a Mac for a long time before then (PPC architecture was quite powerful before then)...

ever since intel macs have been around, a whole bunch of idiots buy it "cause its apple" and they want something that _looks_ nice.... i want damn power for multimedia stuff

one day i wanna buy a Mac Pro.... cause well, i like going all-out :P
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #30
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
agreed... i really dont like the elitist arrogance of mac users these days...

and although i bought a 2006 iMac (first intel model) i've been wanting a Mac for a long time before then (PPC architecture was quite powerful before then)...

ever since intel macs have been around, a whole bunch of idiots buy it "cause its apple" and they want something that _looks_ nice.... i want damn power for multimedia stuff

one day i wanna buy a Mac Pro.... cause well, i like going all-out :P
Just buy it. Now.

I was going to make a snide comment but will refrain. I am going to be nice.

This time.
Closed Thread