Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Damn Brit

Something I've noticed about Prius drivers

Well, in the Bay Area anyway, perhaps others of you can confirm if this is just a localised phenomenon or whether it is more general.
I've noticed that Prius drivers in the Bay Area are like cyclists; They don't like to stop at Stop signs, they don't look behind them and they don't signal their intent to change lanes or turn.
Before I get flamed by any of you eco conscious Prius drivers or cyclists, I also am a cyclist and I am eco conscious. It just seems to me that in a lot of cases these people are arrogant SOBs who do just as much harm to the liberal cause as the christian right have been doing to the conservative cause.

04-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I haven't noticed that Prius owners here are particularity more self-righteous than other drivers. I have noticed, however, that hardly any driver stops completely at stop signs, signals turns or pays attention to their surroundings.

I didn't realize that being eco-conscious was a 'Liberal' attribution, but I guess that makes sense.

I'm more sensitive to the Hummer drivers that roar around in traffic like they are truly driving a tank. No one needs a Hummer unless they own an army.
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I didn't realize that being eco-conscious was a 'Liberal' attribution, but I guess that makes sense.
I admit that was a bit of a generalisation Jeff, I know several conservatives who are as eco conscious as I am (some of them are on this forum), it's just that there probably aren't any in the Bay Area.
04-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I can't talk about prius owners as there are barely any here...

But cyclists on the other hand need a reality check around here!!!

I am an avid cyclist. I bike to work from spring to fall. I stop at red lights, I slow down to a point where I can stop easily at stop signs (I admit to going thru stop signs - slowly). I think I am probably the only person in Montreal who does so! Holy cow bike riders here have a serious deathwish...

Anyhoot... just my 5 seconds rant...

Pat

04-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Well, in the Bay Area anyway, perhaps others of you can confirm if this is just a localised phenomenon or whether it is more general.
I've noticed that Prius drivers in the Bay Area are like cyclists; They don't like to stop at Stop signs, they don't look behind them and they don't signal their intent to change lanes or turn.
Before I get flamed by any of you eco conscious Prius drivers or cyclists, I also am a cyclist and I am eco conscious. It just seems to me that in a lot of cases these people are arrogant SOBs who do just as much harm to the liberal cause as the christian right have been doing to the conservative cause.
these people are arrogant SOBs. You just happen to have a lot of them there.

Don't know about the other states but here in Florida cyclists must follow trhe same rules as vehicular traffic. I sure didn't know vehicles were allowed on sidewalks or could go against the rest of traffic, or blast thru lights and stop signs.

One of the stations here did a little hidden camera type deal with cyclists and cars because there are so many accidents here. What I noticed was the ones that followed the rules of the road didn't have many close calls. Those on the sidewalk going against traffic was a different story. Fact is if you follow the rules you can cycle safe. Probelm is most cyclists don't. At least from my observations. Many years ago I hit a cyclist. It was more of a tap. I was at a stop sign. Did my usual look around and started to go. Next thing I hear is metal on metal. Jerk didn't even bother to stop and he came up so fast I never saw him. He was ok as was the bike. Oh well at least I did manage to control my temper and didn't pulverize him.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 04-12-2009 at 12:49 PM.
04-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I haven't noticed that Prius owners here are particularity more self-righteous than other drivers. I have noticed, however, that hardly any driver stops completely at stop signs, signals turns or pays attention to their surroundings.

I'm more sensitive to the Hummer drivers that roar around in traffic like they are truly driving a tank. No one needs a Hummer unless they own an army.
Actually, I've always thought of conserving the beauty of the environment as a Conservative idea, and consuming resources so "the people" can experience their liberty as a Liberal idea. (Everyone should be a homeowner, non?)

Much like self-denial and stewardship of the environment should be a Christian right idea and sensual experience of the bounty of the Earth's resources should be a Secular Humanist experiential idea.

Somehow everything got twisted around late in the 19th C.

BTW, who are you to decide what I need? Just curious, no animas :ugh:

Last edited by monochrome; 04-12-2009 at 02:34 PM.
04-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
BTW, who are you to decide what I need? Just curious, no animas :ugh:
The pleasure police. Did you mean enemas?
04-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here we have lots of Priuses(pl?)...my neighbors have one as their only car.

IMO the biggest issue is that people "think" like they're driving a normal car but "act" like they're driving for max MPG. For example...pulling out into traffic. I don't have a problem with that, as long as you don't hit me. My problem is when they don't hit the GO pedal hard enough (for fear of turning on the gas engine! noes!) and rely on the little what...22hp electric motor?

Get out of the way! My car weighs just as much as your Prius and I have 150hp...pretty sure I use all of em when I have to. Plus I don't have a $30k car to wreck. I'm not afraid to hit people in newer cars with my 1998 "beater" if you drive like an idiot.

Honestly...I don't mind the thousands of Prius on the roads...but get out of my way! Just because you "look" environmentally conscious doesn't mean you're allowed to drive like a dumbass.

04-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Forum Member

You have described half the drivers in general in this area!
04-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't noticed Prius drivers as any more offensive than others. The worst are the folks in the massive pickups and SUVs (who drive by simply backingup till they hear something).

Of course I used to complain about jerks in BMW's till I started driving them - so maybe I ought to keep quiet.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 04-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.
04-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Prius' drivers or hybrid drivers...that i've seen drive faster than normal on highways...way faster....I go a tad fast...myself, but...some how or another, i alway see a Prius easily passing me....I know they have are near frictionless..but damn...c'mon
04-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Prius, for the pious" is the phrase, no? Must be a SoCal thing.

IMO HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm is the funniest thing on television.
In early episodes Larry David owns a Lexus. Later he drives a Prius.

I haven't noticed any particular problem with Prius drivers in and around NYC.
Big SUVs are another story- they are the most aggressive and dangerous drivers.
One should probably exercise extreme caution around pickup trucks with testicles, too...

Chris
NYS CDL holder, former professional driver and Teamster
04-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
Prius' drivers or hybrid drivers...that i've seen drive faster than normal on highways...way faster....I go a tad fast...myself, but...some how or another, i alway see a Prius easily passing me....I know they have are near frictionless..but damn...c'mon
I see them going fast as well, usually when they are speeding up to go through a red light.
04-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
"Prius, for the pious" is the phrase, no? Must be a SoCal thing.

IMO HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm is the funniest thing on television.
In early episodes Larry David owns a Lexus. Later he drives a Prius.

I haven't noticed any particular problem with Prius drivers in and around NYC.
Big SUVs are another story- they are the most aggressive and dangerous drivers.
One should probably exercise extreme caution around pickup trucks with testicles, too...

Chris
NYS CDL holder, former professional driver and Teamster
too much traffic here in NYC for them to do anything...LOL..
and yeah..SUV drivers should have their own license....seriously...

I see them going fast as well, usually when they are speeding up to go through a red light.
dont they know they need to brake to generate energy for their batteries...:ugh:
04-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
too much traffic here in NYC for them to do anything...LOL..
and yeah..SUV drivers should have their own license....seriously...

dont they know they need to brake to generate energy for their batteries...:ugh:
I think they feel superior in some way. Wait 'til it comes time for the batteries to be recycled, we'll see how green they are.