Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote

I have thought a lot about buying the 67. Is the mirror slap really an issue? The photos I've seen from them are amazing.
It's not insignificant, that mirror slap, but they introduced mirror-lockup somewhere among the original 6x7 models. You really may as well have it if you are doing any kind of tripod work. I mostly shot the 6x7 with a strobe involved, so it didn't really matter, but it'd be worth the extra money. By the time you get set up for a landscape or whatever, lock the mirror up.

04-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Great list, all excellent cameras. I almost bought a Mamiya TLR with all lenses last year, but it ended up going over $350. I ended up with a YashicaMat with Yashinon lens for $22. I carry my LX3 to meter when Sunny 16 doesn't work for me
I have one of those Yashicamat 124G's too....great cameras. I bought a new one...just before they were discontinued.
I have thought a lot about buying the 67. Is the mirror slap really an issue? The photos I've seen from them are amazing.

I'll keep space for a Leica, when I've exhausted all my other CBA. Wonderful cameras but a bit price-prohibitive for me at the moment
They are expensive but IMO they're camera jewelry. I love my little Leica...old...almost as old as I am and I'm positively ancient.

Last edited by lesmore49; 04-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.
04-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . .

I'll keep space for a Leica, when I've exhausted all my other CBA. Wonderful cameras but a bit price-prohibitive for me at the moment
The 67ii, 67 and 6x7 have mirror lock-up to mitigate situations where it can be an issue. Some of the earlier 6x7 didn't have the feature but some did and some had them retrofitted.

This thing is a behemoth but it is a great camera.
04-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #34
edl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The 67ii, 67 and 6x7 have mirror lock-up to mitigate situations where it can be an issue. Some of the earlier 6x7 didn't have the feature but some did and some had them retrofitted.

This thing is a behemoth but it is a great camera.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to spend more time camera shopping overseas on my next trip, they have some great deals in Tokyo on used MF equipment.

04-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #35
edl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
They are expensive but IMO they're camera jewelry. I love my little Leica...old...almost as old as I am and I'm positively ancient.
I wanted a 124G TLR, but those are a little pricey too. Doesn't the G stand for Gold Contacts?

Of all the Leicas out there, what's the best one to have? (I know that's a difficult question to answer).
04-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I wanted a 124G TLR, but those are a little pricey too. Doesn't the G stand for Gold Contacts?

Of all the Leicas out there, what's the best one to have? (I know that's a difficult question to answer).
G is for gold contacts. the 124 is actually better constructed. they go for around $150 to $300 depending on condition and whether it was CLA'd. i bought one here actually and love it a lot

i've hung around rff forum alot lately, from what i've read
m2: the purest rf experience
m3: great for 50mm and above because of the high mag finder
m4: easier film loading and more framelines
m5: the orphan leica, some people do like it
m6: an m4 with a meter and not as well built
m7: if you need AE, that's the place to be

Leica M Guide
04-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll put in another word for the Olympus OM cameras, particularly the OM-2 (though I always lusted over the OM-4ti, I never had the chance to own one). The shutter-speed around the lens mount thing was a great improvement to me over the top-mounted shutter speeds on my K1000, and the OTF-metering system can only be found in one other place: the Pentax LX. Much easier to carry around than my K1000.

I'd also have to agree with the recommendations for the Olympus XA, but not the recommendations against the XA2. It doesn't give you the control you get with the XA, but if gives you a level of speed and discreetness that the XA doesn't. The lens is a little slower, but both cameras will produce shockingly good results for such an old, tiny little thing.