Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #46
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose the suggestion will come - eat in 5 minutes then enjoy 25 minutes of taking photos!

Don't worry Chris.
The time will come when you'll have more time to enjoy your hobby... tend to the important things in your life and the other things will fall into place.

06-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When I get off work at 7:30 AM the light is often good, but all I can think about is sleep.
Wow. How many hours a day are you working? Sounds like that is more the issue than working nights.
06-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Has anyone else here ever worked nights? Were you still able to pursue photography?
Absolutely
06-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
For some reason you were not one of my Flickr contacts, a mistake I have just rectified. I've seen some of these shots before -- certainly great examples of nighttime cityscapes.

06-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Very nice work. Unfortunately I work in East New York Brooklyn, the heart of Da Hood...
I tried but have never been real keen on night photography anyway.

I need to figure out how to get some daylight shooting time back,
while still getting enough sleep and time with my family...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-22-2009 at 10:53 AM.
06-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #51
Veteran Member

wait a minute, i'm confused. i worked nine-to-five a lot, it was terrible for photography: not enough free time, and what i had every day was not during daylight, for the most part (and yes, i was tired anyway after work). the only solution i could find was shooting night scenes. i was actually dreaming of a night job, so i can get some day shots in for a change. why would working nights force you to take night shots? it sounds like exactly the opposite to me (at least in my case, workign meant i didn't have much time for photography, so the time off was the only solution, hence the night shots)

am i missing something?
06-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #52
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
wait a minute, i'm confused. i worked nine-to-five a lot, it was terrible for photography: not enough free time, and what i had every day was not during daylight, for the most part (and yes, i was tired anyway after work). the only solution i could find was shooting night scenes. i was actually dreaming of a night job, so i can get some day shots in for a change. why would working nights force you to take night shots? it sounds like exactly the opposite to me (at least in my case, workign meant i didn't have much time for photography, so the time off was the only solution, hence the night shots)

am i missing something?
Actually shooting after 5 pm is really when the light is better than mid day. And early morning is the best time. So go out after work especially during daylight saving time and shoot.

06-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Actually shooting after 5 pm is really when the light is better than mid day. And early morning is the best time. So go out after work especially during daylight saving time and shoot.
that's true, but you need to scout during daylight, it's hard to do it at night or twilight (on account of not seeing much ). also, this, as you mentioned, works in the summer, and i admit, i take advantage of it as much as i can, but in the winter you are stuck with only night time, so overall, though a bit cumbersome, a "shift model" schedule is more suitable for photography (more flexible). unfortunately, after a certain time in the same profession, you tend to not have this "luxury" anymore (you get to do the "privileged" nine-to-five work, more responsibility, 24x7 is for the "new" guys), so the only way is to go forward and get to the point when you can actually make the schedule yourself, at least to some extent.

but the point is: try to work with what you have, when i was stuck with only nighttime, i took some of my best night pictures, because i was at work during daylight, i even bought a tripod on impulse, when the first heavy snow came (on my way from work and to the shooting location i had planned for the snow). photography can be a rush, but i think the opportunities come from the photographer rather than it's environment, "just try", if i dare say so
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

There stands on the table a half glass of water.

Many will say moan and say it is only half full - the other half will be delighted and see it is half full.

Such is that many view their lives in the same context.

Some mentioned they had children and found that "they" were a burden to their photographic block?????

I trust that one day, that you the father can see the wonder and the beauty of the world through your children's eyes and photograph that and yes even them through their growing years

And below is a photo taken while bored of an old rose in a vase in our home - I trust you find it beautiful and hope it will make you "see" again

All the best

Dylan
06-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Chris, I feel you. I worked in retail for 13 years as a shift manager, and my shift was never the same, even from day to day. Most of the time I went in around 2pm and got off work at 11pm. By the time I showered and cooked and ate, it was 2am, and then I slept until 10am, and then by the time I ate breakfast and ran errands....you see where this is going.

I tried to ALWAYS be on the lookout for a place to shoot. Sometimes I'd have to wait until I had a day off; sometimes I could go before work. Lots of times I just went without sleep to go shoot somewhere I'd noticed. You're getting off work at one of the most beautiful times of day, when the city is just waking up. Take 20 minutes one day a week and shoot something on your way home.

Find stuff you wouldn't normally shoot. I did "Texture Day" one day and only shot textures. Limit yourself to only one focal length and see how that changes things. The important thing to get over the block is to pick up the camera and shoot!

Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching, but man oh man do I remember those days, and not terribly fondly...I wish you the best of luck!
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #56
Veteran Member

sorry, I'm at work and there's no way I can read all the posts.
However I wanted to say that I've been in ruts as well. And I've discovered that there's usually a reason for them.
The last one for me was caused by a former friend, who tried draging me down to his level (he's always depressed) I had to say goodbye to him otherwise I would have lost everything dear to me.

My advice would be do some soul searching.
If there's something (other than photography) you feel may be draging you down try and change it.
The chances are that it'll change your life, in a very positive way overnight.

I know that it sounds too simple, but it's worked for me more than once.
06-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
There is nothing wrong with midday sunlight. You just have to shoot differently than during the magic hour.