Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Completely off topic - AM/FM Radio reception?

This is a bizarre question for a Photography forum, but this is the "general" area

The radio in my car seems to have stopped picking up AM/FM - only will play CDs or audio in thru the Aux jack (mp3 player, etc)

Question is - even if the antenna wire was completely hacked in half or unplugged, the radio should pick up *something*, right? I pulled it out today and its connected to the back, but my meter is completely broken, can tell if the wire makes it all the way to the antenna on the fender.

I'm thinking the whole tuner is probably blown. Any thoughts?

04-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You don't even get static?

Yeah, I'd lay odds that it's not the antenna.
04-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If I turn the volume all the way up I get something sounding like an alien transmission but no static, nothing.
04-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
If I turn the volume all the way up I get something sounding like an alien transmission but no static, nothing.

they're coming buddy...they're coming

04-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

In reading about your problem I would say a new radio is in order. I don't think it would be the antenna. In most cases it is the radio.
04-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If the antenna isn't properly grounded to bare metal, you can get some oddness. Granted, this knowledge goes back 25 years when I installed stereos to make my way through college, but it should still be legit. More than once the culprit on an oilfield company truck was that the antenna had lost it's grounding due to rust, mud, constant vibrations on wash-board dirt roads, etc.
04-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The fact that the CD player works and sounds fine leads me toward a tuner issue. It's not the amp because it works on the disc. If it was just the antenna you would at least get static. The alien sound you hear is probaby a ground/alternator whine that is suppressed, but audible when you crank it up.(Does it go away when you turn the car off? If not, then it's something else. I 've heard similar on AM tuners when signal is low...)

slinky

04-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is a bizarre question for a Photography forum, but this is the "general" area

Question is - even if the antenna wire was completely hacked in half or unplugged, the radio should pick up *something*, right?
Not necessarily. In most vehicles today, the radio and antenna cable are well shielded to avoid unwanted noise (from the vehicle and elsewhere). Therefore, you could just have a disconnected, cut, or shorted antenna with perhaps similar results.

However, there is a very simple way to check. Unplug the antenna cable from the back of the radio and then touch a length of bare wire (3-4 ft) to the internal pin of the connector. The wire will act as a temporary antenna. Be careful not to let the wire touch both the internal pin and outside edge of the connector at the same time (potential short). If you hear the radio with the wire, focus your repair efforts on the antenna and/or cable. But if you still don't hear anything with the wire, either have the radio repaired or shop for another. Good luck.

stewart
04-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some car radios will mute the output if there isn't enough signal. Kind of like a vcr or tv going to blue screen. Have seen cars that wouldn't even pick up static without antenna attached. If its not antenna problem it is possibly your radio. This could be a bad circuit/chip or the switching. Have seen car cds where the internal switch wouldn't click between cd and radio. Also make sure you don't have the radio set to the strong station setting (local on many radios). Hope you get it working.
thanks
barondla
04-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Didn't even think about making my own antenna - great idea. If its the radio tuner, it'll be out the door - the unit is too cheap to replace, repairing isn't worth it...

Thanks for the opinions...
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sounds like it's time for a new car
04-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Luckily I only suffer from LBA - if I suffered from CBA (Car) I'd be in big trouble. Buying a new car would certainly prevent me from buying any more lenses anytime soon
04-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Luckily I only suffer from LBA - if I suffered from CBA (Car) I'd be in big trouble. Buying a new car would certainly prevent me from buying any more lenses anytime soon
Wow, both LBA and CBA at the same time could be traumatizing - leading to serious internal conflicts (should I buy this or that), doubts (did I buy the right thing), feelings of limited self-worth (can I afford it), and even potentially self-destructive behavior (excess work to afford both, attempts to fit camera lenses to a car, whatever). And then there are the fustrations from the inevitable limits one places on the other (images only of cars or from cars, for example; especially toublesome for those engaged in underwater photography or other specialities). And we won't even mention the possible impact on family members (Why is the new car in the swimming pool, Dear?). Luckily, these two afflictions very rarely impact individuals at the same time.

stewart