Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Does all of the global warming stuff take into account the CO2 and other gases released during volcanos and earthquakes? Just a honest to goodness question. I know that one of the biggest threats to life on earth was during the "Snowball Earth" period and it was only because of seismic and volcanic activity that the earth warmed up. Greenhouse gases to the rescue there.

Frankly, even if the earth warms up and sea levels rise and cause all the calamities foretold by scientists (who are NEVER EVER WRONG btw) things won't change that much. Sure there will be famines, wars, extinctions, plagues and what not but it's not like that isn't happening now. Humanity will adjust. If we don't we'll die-out like most species that has ever lived on earth.

As far as life going extinct I doubt that anything short of our Sun going Nova, a Gamma ray burst or a mega-asteroid pulverizing the planet will wipe out LIFE. We might go extinct and so might other things but LIFE is resilient and persistent.

As for me. I try not to pollute because I don't like breathing stinky air or dirty water. Not because I feel some desire to "Save the Planet".

I know it this is rambling and I apologize for that. I guess I'll stop now.
They don't want to take into account natural CO2 increases and fluctuations. 20% of the natural co2 has been attributed to termites for example.

We need to work on the things that we abandoned in the 1980s like recycling, reducing, reusing and conservation. But lazy-ass kooks like Gore don't want to do that because the outcomes are measurable and can be seen. Plus, it turns out there wasn't the huge money in it that they thought.

07-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #167
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
To be fair, dismissing the notion of global warming based on this crappy summer weather is a bit absurd. After all, the planet is warming up. It's been measured and it's beyond dispute. The dispute is why it's warming.

There's not a shred of good, solid evidence that it's a result of the small quantities of greenhouse gasses released into the atmosphere by the activity of that charming little human population. There's not a shred of evidence that it won't start dropping into another ice age next week or warm up to cretaceous climates instead. There is plenty of evidence that the climate has been all over the place in the past for a variety of different reasons both with and without our presence.

Ingraining western culture with the idea of moderation is absolutely a good thing and would speed progress towards the mitigation of lots of society's problems, but not because it has anything to do with global warming.
That's a pretty good assessment.
07-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #168
Veteran Member

wow, with all the expertise in this place, it a wonder why you all don't live in Washington and Brussels, solving the world's problems...who needs scientists??

I never believe scientists or anyone else with Phd's, they are all just wannabe photographers anyway.

Jason
07-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #169
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
wow, with all the expertise in this place, it a wonder why you all don't live in Washington and Brussels, solving the world's problems...who needs scientists??

I never believe scientists or anyone else with Phd's, they are all just wannabe photographers anyway.

Jason

That's o.k. I never believe Greeks. They were unsuccessful at taking over the world and ended up as ass-wipes to the Romans for several centuries.

07-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well come to think of it the whole worlds gonna end in 2012 anyways so why worry about global warming?
07-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #171
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Well come to think of it the whole worlds gonna end in 2012 anyways so why worry about global warming?
Only thing that ends in 2012 is the Mayan calendar
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #172
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Did you see the Penn and Teller Bulls**t take on 2012 the other night?

One theory is that the earth is going to be hit by a dwarf brown star.
They had Gary Coleman on the show looking menacing.

07-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #173
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Did you see the Penn and Teller Bulls**t take on 2012 the other night?

One theory is that the earth is going to be hit by a dwarf brown star.
They had Gary Coleman on the show looking menacing.
You're wacko. Just like the Obama
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #174
Site Supporter

The reason it is ending is that they are all dead and aren't around to update it. Same thing happened to those calendars on the wall in the movie The Omega Man.
07-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #175
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The reason it is ending is that they are all dead and aren't around to update it. Same thing happened to those calendars on the wall in the movie The Omega Man.
Never saw it.
07-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #176
Site Supporter

Never saw it.
Its my favorite Charlton Heston Sci-Fi film. Period.
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #177
Damn Brit

Never saw it.
It's another version of 'I am Legend'.
07-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #178
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's another version of 'I am Legend'.
Heston was perfect in the role of Col. Robert Neville, the army scientist surviving the bacterial warfare.
07-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #179
Damn Brit

I've got a book that he wrote, kind of journal that he kept during the making of his movies. I'll have to look up what he had to say about that movie.
07-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That's o.k. I never believe Greeks. They were unsuccessful at taking over the world and ended up as ass-wipes to the Romans for several centuries.
If you know your history well, you'd appreciate the Greeks and the Romans for the fact you aren't forced to praise Allah and have a name with 22 syllables. The Greeks single-handedly kept the Persians from conquering Europe, and the Romans picked up where the Greeks left off. Thanks to the Byzantines, they kept Christianity alive. But, you probably already know this.

Chances are, unless you are from east Asia or are 100 native American indian, which ever country your family came from were also ass-wipes for the Romans.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 07-23-2009 at 05:24 AM.