Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Can't find any changes between uploaded and originals

QuoteOriginally posted by Phazed Quote
It has come to my attention that flickr applies corrections to images uploaded now... I am not a fan of this.

I see some of you have pbase and the rest have smug mug. What are your thoughts on each?

Thanks
Alex
Alex can you point me to where you found out that flickr applies corrections.

Just uploaded and then downloaded an image, filesize stayed the same, did a binary compare and both where complete identical. Did the same with an image that I uploaded a month ago, same results.

I know that if you upload them you can ask the uploader to resize the image, and then you're no longer in control.

Also flickr saves multiple versions of you image in different sizes and I haven't got an idea on how it does that,

but again the original stays the original.

What flickr say's about it in it's faq
--------------------------------------------
Can I access my original images?

We resize your photos to more web-friendly dimensions. Each image has a 75x75 pixel thumbnail and 100-, 240-, 500-, and 1024-pixel versions (that's the length of the longest side), as well as your original file.
When you view an individual photo page, click the "All Sizes" link below the photo title to view or download each of the sizes.
If you have a free account, no one (including you) can access your original file. If you upgrade to a pro account, your original files are available for download. You can use the global setting in your account to specify who can download originals: Only you; your friends and/or family; your contacts; any Flickr user; or anyone.
Also, if you've attached a Creative Commons license to your photo indicating you're OK with sharing the photo, the original is available to anyone.

Last edited by rhermans; 07-04-2007 at 03:08 AM. Reason: flickr faq added
07-04-2007, 06:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rhermans Quote
Alex can you point me to where you found out that flickr applies corrections.

Just uploaded and then downloaded an image, filesize stayed the same, did a binary compare and both where complete identical. Did the same with an image that I uploaded a month ago, same results.

I know that if you upload them you can ask the uploader to resize the image, and then you're no longer in control.

Also flickr saves multiple versions of you image in different sizes and I haven't got an idea on how it does that,

but again the original stays the original.

What flickr say's about it in it's faq
--------------------------------------------
Can I access my original images?

We resize your photos to more web-friendly dimensions. Each image has a 75x75 pixel thumbnail and 100-, 240-, 500-, and 1024-pixel versions (that's the length of the longest side), as well as your original file.
When you view an individual photo page, click the "All Sizes" link below the photo title to view or download each of the sizes.
If you have a free account, no one (including you) can access your original file. If you upgrade to a pro account, your original files are available for download. You can use the global setting in your account to specify who can download originals: Only you; your friends and/or family; your contacts; any Flickr user; or anyone.
Also, if you've attached a Creative Commons license to your photo indicating you're OK with sharing the photo, the original is available to anyone.
the resized thumbnails get sharpened, that's it. exif is untouched also. as for getting a host; flickr is an image server. with the api you can create your own custom interface to your photos, or any public photos. $30/year vs shared hosting; it shouldn't even be a consideration. granted, not everyone is fimiliar with web dev so it sounds daunting, but there's a ton of free apps that'll do the dirty work for you; you just have to skin em.
07-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
Vil
Inactive Account

I just noticed yesterday that my flickr account was upgraded to PRO status without me requesting it. I didn't get any notice from Flickr - it just happend. Very strange. Not that I'm complaining ...
07-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #19
Inactive Account

have you tried pbase.com ?

07-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vil Quote
I just noticed yesterday that my flickr account was upgraded to PRO status without me requesting it. I didn't get any notice from Flickr - it just happend. Very strange. Not that I'm complaining ...
This sounds like someone bought you a Pro account.