Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Wikipedia says $1.8 billion-with-a-"b".

Seems strange as I pasted that info from wiki

04-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
But the technology is really from 1969. And things like the microwave are from the 40's as are computers. We've learned to make things faster, smaller but nothing new in a generation.
Actually, as the old saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun. Every invention is built more or less on existing technology. The wheel gave us the cart which gave us the wagon which gave us the train which gave us the auto, etc.

I remember a quote from someone who wanted to do away with the U.S. patent office because "I can't imagine anything new being invented that warrants the continued existence of this office." That was in about 1909.

Now I have this stupid Blackberry, which demands more of my time than a small child. It's a new invention that didn't exist 20 years ago. If you run a business now days, it's valuable, but I still don't like it. Yes it's built on existing technology, but it's purpose is completely different than a cell phone...unfortunately. The day they add Blackberry technology to a camera body is the day I quit photography.

The cell phone didn't exist 40 years ago. The telephone didn't exist 120 years ago. The wireless didn't exist 200 years ago. I can't remember the date that smoke signals were invented.

If that doesn't convince you, look at this video. This technology, while "new" to Jay Leno, has existed for about 20 years. But it never existed before in this form...except for the inkjet printer technology that it is based on....so nothing is new under the sun...

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/49930a9fc57c735f/47fe70d4555df05a/.../ba4377d3bfd6c
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
Damn Brit

WMD's were invented this century or am I talking about fiction here?
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
WMD's were invented this century or am I talking about fiction here?
Last century again.

04-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Actually, as the old saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun. Every invention is built more or less on existing technology. The wheel gave us the cart which gave us the wagon which gave us the train which gave us the auto, etc.

I remember a quote from someone who wanted to do away with the U.S. patent office because "I can't imagine anything new being invented that warrants the continued existence of this office." That was in about 1909.

Now I have this stupid Blackberry, which demands more of my time than a small child. It's a new invention that didn't exist 20 years ago. If you run a business now days, it's valuable, but I still don't like it. Yes it's built on existing technology, but it's purpose is completely different than a cell phone...unfortunately. The day they add Blackberry technology to a camera body is the day I quit photography.

The cell phone didn't exist 40 years ago. The telephone didn't exist 120 years ago. The wireless didn't exist 200 years ago. I can't remember the date that smoke signals were invented.

If that doesn't convince you, look at this video. This technology, while "new" to Jay Leno, has existed for about 20 years. But it never existed before in this form...except for the inkjet printer technology that it is based on....so nothing is new under the sun...

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/49930a9fc57c735f/47fe70d4555df05a/.../ba4377d3bfd6c
The idea of wireless tech goes back to Tesla. The telephone was based on the telegraph. But there really isn't much new under the sun.
Even the scramjet tech is from the 60's.

QuoteQuote:
Cell phones may be new devices, but they originated in the 1920’s. Radios were used since 1921. Features were put into these radios in the 1940’s, and they were used by police. The concept of the cellular phone was developed in 1947 which originated from the mobile car phone. The concept of the cellular phone was produced by Bell Laboratories.

The first actual cell phone was made in 1973 by Martin Cooper of Motorola and other assisting inventors who used the idea of the car phone and applied the technology necessary to make a portable cell phone possible. Cell phones were first made available to the public in 1984. Back then, they were very large, expensive instruments.

The Federal Communications Commission made a regulation that limited radio-spectrum frequencies. This is the reason only twenty-three simultaneous conversations were possible in the same service area. In 1968 the FCC decided to increase the frequencies to allow research for better connections. The FCC worked together with AT&T and Bell Towers to establish broadcast towers. The towers were small with low power and covered a “cell” that was a few miles in radius, but actually covered a larger area. This allowed calls to pass from tower to tower.

There's a joke about it too. Old man talking to a teenager. Teenager says yeah gramps back in your day you didn't have tv and the telephone. Old man says yep. That's right we didn't have tv back in my day. So we invented them. What have you invented? And the teen was stymied.

One good thing about this thread. It's not politics
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The idea of wireless tech goes back to Tesla. The telephone was based on the telegraph. But there really isn't much new under the sun.
Even the scramjet tech is from the 60's.
Telegraph, wireless...I was thinking of the same thing. I guess I was a bit confused. Wireless was the ship-board version of the telegraph. My fault.

Actually, even Edwin's instant photo was nothing new. The camera existed before him. He just improved on the development process. So that doesn't count either.
04-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Damn Brit

Last century again.
I was talking about fiction in this case mate.

04-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
graphicgr8s

Actually, even Edwin's instant photo was nothing new. The camera existed before him. He just improved on the development process. So that doesn't count either.
Actually the camera itself existed but the development procedure didn't. So he did invent the process.
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Al Gore invented the internet.
04-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Al Gore invented the internet.
Like...that is SO last century.
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Just watching the History channel. Edwin Land invented the instant photo in 1948. How come we don't invent things anymore?
"The word 'invent' and the process of 'inventing' is respectively copyright and patented by Microsoft Corporation. I hereby order you to CEASE and DESIST the use of these words and processes, or further legal action will be taken."

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You got to ask the Australians because statistically speaking they have got the most number of inventors in relation to their population size.
Ah, yes. A few of my favourites:

* The Stump Jump Plough
* Polymer banknotes
* The powered lawnmower
* The Hills Hoist (rotary clothesline and childrens' swing)
* The feature film and the clapperboard
* The winged keel (proving that those who run the America's Cup are sore, whiny losers)
* Powered flight
* Goon Bag (see also Hills Hoist)
* Military Tank
* Electronic music (for which we unreservedly apologise)
* The fridge (and cold beer)
* The electrical drill

Things we did NOT invent:

* Russell Crowe
* Keith Urban

Those were the Kiwis' fault.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Wikipedia says $1.8 billion-with-a-"b".
Kris was giving the price in American dollars; Wikipedia was giving it in Australian...
04-28-2009, 05:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Kris was giving the price in American dollars; Wikipedia was giving it in Australian...
I'm not sure that it is in Australian dollars. Wiki doesn't actually specify that.

List of Australian inventions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't matter anyhoo. Still can't use stealth aircraft against Aussies

* Russell Crowe
* Keith Urban

04-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Ah, yes. A few of my favourites:

* The Stump Jump Plough
* Polymer banknotes
* The powered lawnmower
* The Hills Hoist (rotary clothesline and childrens' swing)
* The feature film and the clapperboard
* The winged keel (proving that those who run the America's Cup are sore, whiny losers)
* Powered flight
* Goon Bag (see also Hills Hoist)
* Military Tank
* Electronic music (for which we unreservedly apologise)
* The fridge (and cold beer)
* The electrical drill

* Russell Crowe
* Keith Urban

Don't forget the world-wide scourge and proliferation of disco......(Bee Gees).

...and while Hargrave did have the first recorded "powered flight", as a pilot I don't know if I'd take credit for anything called a "manlift kite".

Last edited by navcom; 04-28-2009 at 06:26 AM.
04-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=navcom;574442]Don't forget the world-wide scourge and proliferation of disco......(Bee Gees).

Thankfully for us, they were import's [Bee Gees] were English born.
04-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=wwwmorrell;574535]
Don't forget the world-wide scourge and proliferation of disco......(Bee Gees).

Thankfully for us, they were import's [Bee Gees] were English born.
Ah, but their careers started in Oz, therefore y'all are to blame.

...I mean, you could've stopped them, right?