Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well I just got contacted from the company the scammer bought stuff off (they had my email from the paypal transaction and paypal had emailed them)..

They asked me to explain my actions, am I committing fraud? Of course I explained I was the one ripped off, and they immediately cancelled the online access (they bought access on a MMORP game) and said they would refund the transaction..

So just waiting to see it come back on my card... I am still not sure how the person got my paypal login, only thing I can think is on holiday I have used internet cafes (a fair while back) and someone waited a while and used it from there (keylogger)..

They also tried to break into my ebay account, but ebay isn't as stupid and locked the account as I had logged in in Australia and then a few hours later in another 'suspicious' country... So at least that account I could reset the password and get it all sorted on the phone with ebay, without any damage done....

Scanned PC with Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Nod32 and no spyware detected from any of them..

05-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
WELL

Bank says they can't do anything as I did authorise paypal to use my credit card so my only course of action is through paypal... All they can do is re-issue my card to ensure it cannot be used again..

So guess I have to give paypal more time to solve it, though bank said to demand paypal give me something in writing (email is fine) detailing what happened and that they are investigating it.. then I can take it further if need be, but with a closed paypal account and no documentation I am in a bad position at the moment..

Scary thing is I got an email today from ebay saying my account is frozen due to possible suspicious activity, so haev to call them too.. Scanned my system home and work with mulitple malware tools, haven't found anything...
You have been subjected to a Phishing attack. EBay will never send you an email like the one you reported above. I get e-mails like this on a regular basis and forward them directly to
spoof@ebay.com
or
spoof@paypal.com
as appropriate. Keep the following points in mind:
  • Paypal will not put a link in any email.
  • Neither will eBay
  • The name at the top (the "registered user") is not your login.
  • If you are suspicious, send it to spoof
  • If you are not suspicious, send it to spoof
  • Never log in to a link included in an email
  • Tip: Hover over the link and look at the browser bar at the bottom of your screen. You will see that the link is some spam outfit.
05-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote

They asked me to explain my actions, am I committing fraud? Of course I explained I was the one ripped off, and they immediately cancelled the online access (they bought access on a MMORP game) and said they would refund the transaction..

So just waiting to see it come back on my card......
Tho I'm a pessimist and will guarantee that with the hefty fluctuations in exchange rates lately you will never get back what they took out, it's good they're refunding you
05-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You have been subjected to a Phishing attack. EBay will never send you an email like the one you reported above. I get e-mails like this on a regular basis and forward them directly to
spoof@ebay.com
or
spoof@paypal.com
as appropriate. Keep the following points in mind:
  • Paypal will not put a link in any email.
  • Neither will eBay
  • The name at the top (the "registered user") is not your login.
  • If you are suspicious, send it to spoof
  • If you are not suspicious, send it to spoof
  • Never log in to a link included in an email
  • Tip: Hover over the link and look at the browser bar at the bottom of your screen. You will see that the link is some spam outfit.
No it was real, there wasn't any direct links in the email.

I went to the ebay site (not from link) got the phone number and called them and they said my account was in fact frozen due to an attempted attack..

All sorted now..