Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
KEH?

I hope someone will give me their opinion regarding KEH Camera. I googled them, and checked them out at Resellers Ratings, but there were enough negative reviews to give me pause. I'm mostly looking for M series primes. Thanks.

04-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm, I haven't had a bad experience with KEH. I've only ordered once though (ZX-L in EX condition, it looks unused other than the missing strap and body cap and that the battery door have obviously been opened/not new). I just got another order through today and their service is really fast. If my order this time turned out just fine, I'd give them a 5 star again...

Last edited by Andi Lo; 04-28-2009 at 05:01 PM.
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're OK, really. My only real complaint would be that when an item gets down to BGN condition, they might say why. It can be a bit of a crapshoot there: BGN might mean something in lovely cosmetic shape but with an annoying problem, or it might mean something right on the ball functionally that just looks a little rough.

Also, they lose a lot of little sales with me cause of the shipping minimum: by the time it's worth paying the shipping, you've got a big order together just about details or something. They do a lot of volume, though, and I don't imagine they can check everything religiously.
04-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Bought and returned a BGN 300/4 with no hassle.

04-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ordered a 28-105/4-5.6 lens and Motor Drive A from them about a month ago. Drive arrived with a dead portrait shutter so I RMA'd it for an exchange. No hassles whatsoever.

My only "complaint" with them is they typically use stock photos of the item rather than an actual photo of what you're buying.
04-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

Location: The 808 State: Hawaii. From Nikon to PENTAX to Canon to Pentax
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
My only "complaint" with them is they typically use stock photos of the item rather than an actual photo of what you're buying.
Very True, thats what I noticed too!! KEH is where I bought my used k10d body and got it with no hassles or any defects on the camera. Actually when I got my camera, it looked new with less than 2k shutters. My in-law also got his k20,k10, pentax 645n and other lenses from them with no hassle or trouble and we both are located out here in Hawaii so I guess its just a hit or miss type of thing. looking foward to ordering some takumars from them in the future.
04-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, and good shooting to all.
04-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Location: The 808 State: Hawaii. From Nikon to PENTAX to Canon to Pentax
QuoteOriginally posted by hachoo Quote
Thanks for the input, and good shooting to all.
No Worries Sir!

04-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have made many purchases from KEH.

Never once have I been disappointed.

Their rating system errs on the side of caution. If they grade something as "good" most people would consider it "excellent" or better.

That has been my experience, anyway.

I will add that I've never bought an item graded "bargain". I would rather something be graded bargain AFTER I have gotten my full use out of it, not before.
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #10

Several purchases with no problems at all (m50 1.7, Sigma 70-300, miscellaneous other stuff)...always in great condition and pretty quick turnaround.
04-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when it comes to used gear, I put KEH at the top of the list. I have been doing business with them since the mid 1980s. They have as good of a warranty as you are going to find on used gear as well. They have a very reliable and conservative rating system as well.

When it comes to used gear, here is my top 5 sources:

1. KEH
2. Adorama
3. Blue Moon Camera & Machine
4. BH (close behing BM)
5. PentaxForums
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hachoo Quote
I hope someone will give me their opinion regarding KEH Camera. I googled them, and checked them out at Resellers Ratings, but there were enough negative reviews to give me pause. I'm mostly looking for M series primes. Thanks.
They're a good outfit. I've had a few very small problems with them but I expect problems to occur occasionally and with KEH, the problems were always resolved easily. One time there was some confusion and they accidentally sent me - and charged me - for two copies of the same lens. They took the second copy back, no problems. All in all I think they're a good company and a good resource.

I should add that I'm pretty particular about the merchants I buy from. I ONLY buy online from these sources:
  1. Amazon.com
  2. B&H
  3. Adorama
  4. KEH
  5. Sigma4Less / Tamron4Less
Will
05-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have purchased several thousands of dollars in gear from KEH in the past ten years (2/3 of this for work and the remainder for my personal gear). They are my first choice by far.

I just received a Fujica GW690 in BGN condition - no complaints. They are quite conservative in their ratings. I have purchased before from Adorama and BH Photo and from local camera dealers in the DC area - and KEH is significantly better in ratings.
05-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
I have purchased several thousands of dollars in gear from KEH in the past ten years (2/3 of this for work and the remainder for my personal gear). They are my first choice by far.

I just received a Fujica GW690 in BGN condition - no complaints. They are quite conservative in their ratings. I have purchased before from Adorama and BH Photo and from local camera dealers in the DC area - and KEH is significantly better in ratings.
I had a dream about that cam the other day...no joke...a real, sub-conscious dream

First camera-related dream I can remember (I remember about 2 dreams per month) was of the Pentax 12-24. Is this a sign...of good things or problems?
05-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

+1 to that. Everything I've ever bought from KEH was in excellent shape. My only "gripe" is they should provide front/rear caps for everything - if they don't say "w/caps" then it won't come with them and you'll have to purchase them separately.

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I have made many purchases from KEH.

Never once have I been disappointed.

Their rating system errs on the side of caution. If they grade something as "good" most people would consider it "excellent" or better.

That has been my experience, anyway.

I will add that I've never bought an item graded "bargain". I would rather something be graded bargain AFTER I have gotten my full use out of it, not before.