Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Hey all you New Yorkers how was the flyover? That cost over $300,000 for something that could have been photoshopped for free.
Of all things to worry about. How many million people live in New York City that could look at that? Do the math. Might do some people good to look up from a screen once in a while.

And I feel I should add, I haven't particularly approved of the boondoggles of *military spending* to make certain aircraft in unwanted quantities under previous administrations in the first place. One thing I never begrudged was them spending a little more so we can at least *look* at the things.

04-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Of all things to worry about. How many million people live in New York City that could look at that? Do the math. Might do some people good to look up from a screen once in a while.

And I feel I should add, I haven't particularly approved of the boondoggles of *military spending* to make certain aircraft in unwanted quantities under previous administrations in the first place. One thing I never begrudged was them spending a little more so we can at least *look* at the things.
More people may have looked at it if they hadn't been running like King Kong was coming down the streets of Manhattan. I'm guessing the dry clean business was up for a couple of days after this. When was the last time NYers got an up close look at some jetliners buzzing building tops?
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Not particularly worried about it but I guess you don't see anything wrong with a jet being shadowed by F-16s flying at an altitude of about 1500 feet over NYC and the last time that happened over 3000 people lost their lives. You don't see anything wrong with that? For a photo op? Are you still off your meds?
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Let's see now. We had a Republican president and a democratic congress. And isn't it congress who really spends the money? With a democrat president and a Republican congress we had less spending.
And all this time I thought you were one of those delusional supply-sider Reagan worshippers who think the Gipper turned the country's economy around! Instead, it turns out you're actually giving the credit to Tip O'Neill! That's actually good to know.

04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I dont usually get into these threads but I do think given what happened in New York on 9/11 there should have been some notice given about the flyby. The fact that it was done in secret without so much as telling NYC authorities was wrong. Yes in this day and age you could have photoshopped the plane into the shot without actually having to do a flyby.(i couldnt but then again I suck at post processing still) well thats my two cents
04-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I well thats my two cents
Question: How come it's a penny for your thoughts but it's really just your 2 cents. What hapens to the other penny?

They said we would have a black president when pigs fly. Last week the swine flu. Just a little late is all.
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #22
Damn Brit

Let's see now. We had a Republican president and a democratic congress. And isn't it congress who really spends the money? With a democrat president and a Republican congress we had less spending. Then of course we had 9-11. And here we are back with a 9-10 mentality.

And yes I do post other than polito threads. Look at my stats and you'll see I also get into post processing. And at least I have 9 photos up there.
I thought it was a Republican congress for six of those years.

04-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #23
Damn Brit

Not particularly worried about it but I guess you don't see anything wrong with a jet being shadowed by F-16s flying at an altitude of about 1500 feet over NYC and the last time that happened over 3000 people lost their lives. You don't see anything wrong with that? For a photo op? Are you still off your meds?
The last time that happened, all the F16 pilots were drinking coffee and eating donuts because mysteriously they had been grounded.
04-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #24
Damn Brit

I dont usually get into these threads but I do think given what happened in New York on 9/11 there should have been some notice given about the flyby. The fact that it was done in secret without so much as telling NYC authorities was wrong. Yes in this day and age you could have photoshopped the plane into the shot without actually having to do a flyby.(i couldnt but then again I suck at post processing still) well thats my two cents
Some dumbass overstepped the mark and made a mistake. The statement from the Whitehouse said it was a mistake and that it wouldn't happen again.

Oh if only the previous administration had fessed up to even a few of their mistakes.

BTW,isn't it nice to have a President who can pronounce the word 'nuclear' correctly again?
04-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Some dumbass overstepped the mark and made a mistake. The statement from the Whitehouse said it was a mistake and that it wouldn't happen again.

Oh if only the previous administration had fessed up to even a few of their mistakes.

BTW,isn't it nice to have a President who can pronounce the word 'nuclear' correctly again?
Now now I never attacked the current administration, all I said is that it would have been nice to tell people. I am sure that the moron that decided not to tell anyone will be fired for this. I will reserve judgment on the current President for another 1355 days. Have a good time arguing
04-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
Damn Brit

Now now I never attacked the current administration, all I said is that it would have been nice to tell people. I am sure that the moron that decided not to tell anyone will be fired for this. I will reserve judgment on the current President for another 1355 days. Have a good time arguing
I hadn't considered that you had, I was just making a comparison. It was a publicity stunt that fell flat on it's face. But in the scheme of things it pales into comparison against the previous eight years.
One from the previous administration that springs to mind was when Bush was flown to the aircraft carrier so he could have his picture taken in a flight suit. All those contracts given to Halliburton without giving other companies a chance to quote is another huge and costly mistake and a huge insult to the American people and the brave members of the military. At one point, members of the military were paying about $6 for a can of coke in Iraq. Katrina was another huge and costly mistake and another insult to the American people.
Unfortunately the examples I have given from the previous administration were probably not mistakes but demonstrations of sheer arrogance IMO.

It's good that you are reserving judgement until four years are up. That's the way it should be for everyone and I admire you for saying that.

We prefer to call it a discussion by the way.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-30-2009 at 07:56 PM.
05-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #27
graphicgr8s

Taken at face value I don't really think Obama knew of the stunt. If he did and I am wrong shame on me.
05-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #28
Site Supporter

. . .

Jimmy Carter couldn't pronounce it and he was a nuclear engineer. Besides it probably is broken down by syllable on the tele-prompter.
05-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
.............BTW,isn't it nice to have a President who can pronounce the word 'nuclear' correctly again?
In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: "it's nuke' - you - ler"
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Yes, it helps when telling the world America is going to unilaterally get rid of nuclear weapons. Other than that, I can't find a particular use for the word, unless maybe the subject of nuclear energy comes up.

I'm looking forward to having a President who doesn't have the annoying intonation patterns of a sorority girl. His is a variation on having declarative statements end with question intonation. He gets the final pitch right, but on long sentences delivered in phrases I've noticed a lot of them are in four parts and the final pitch on each of the final bits before each of the first three are rising intonation, with only the sentence-ending final bit being of the normal falling pitch.

I get seasick listening it.

Up - up - up - down. Up - up - up - down. Up - up - up - down.

Can I possibly be the only person who has noticed this?

Since it is impossible to hear him over the deafening roar of Canon/Nikon million decibel machine-gun shutters anyway I suppose it is a moot point.
Closed Thread