Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #31
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Yes, it helps when telling the world America is going to unilaterally get rid of nuclear weapons. Other than that, I can't find a particular use for the word, unless maybe the subject of nuclear energy comes up.

I'm looking forward to having a President who doesn't have the annoying intonation patterns of a sorority girl. His is a variation on having declarative statements end with question intonation. He gets the final pitch right, but on long sentences delivered in phrases I've noticed a lot of them are in four parts and the final pitch on each of the final bits before each of the first three are rising intonation, with only the sentence-ending final bit being of the normal falling pitch.

I get seasick listening it.

Up - up - up - down. Up - up - up - down. Up - up - up - down.

Can I possibly be the only person who has noticed this?

Since it is impossible to hear him over the deafening roar of Canon/Nikon million decibel machine-gun shutters anyway I suppose it is a moot point.
Must be the curvature of the earth Mike, listening from where you are.

05-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think you're more right than you may know. Since I only interact with English speakers about two days out of the year and since all my exposure to not only Obama but spoken English of all sorts is via audio (I don't watch television) I key in on stuff like that without letting it get lost in what for most people is the background blur of the commonplace.

I'm about ready to scream if I hear "throw xxx under the bus" one more time. I've never even spent one single minute in America during the time it has been current, and still I'm sick of it. I can't imagine what it would be like if I were surrounded by English speakers all day.

Same goes for people who punctuate their speech with a "tsk" tooth-sucking sound. Mostly I get it when listening to podcasts of the Bob & Tom show. Tom does it every now and then. When comedian Mike Birbiglia phones in it sounds like one giant tsk-fest. Ditto Kevin Pollak. I've asked about this on another forum before and everybody there swears they have never heard it before.
05-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #33
Damn Brit

Que? (I know you don't like emoticons but, what the hell)

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I think you're more right than you may know. Since I only interact with English speakers about two days out of the year and since all my exposure to not only Obama but spoken English of all sorts is via audio (I don't watch television) I key in on stuff like that without letting it get lost in what for most people is the background blur of the commonplace.

I'm about ready to scream if I hear "throw xxx under the bus" one more time. I've never even spent one single minute in America during the time it has been current, and still I'm sick of it. I can't imagine what it would be like if I were surrounded by English speakers all day.

Same goes for people who punctuate their speech with a "tsk" tooth-sucking sound. Mostly I get it when listening to podcasts of the Bob & Tom show. Tom does it every now and then. When comedian Mike Birbiglia phones in it sounds like one giant tsk-fest. Ditto Kevin Pollak. I've asked about this on another forum before and everybody there swears they have never heard it before.
05-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, he isn't that good of a public speaker. His speaking has been hyped in the press and media. He is using aspects of neurolinguistic programing which is a type of pursuasive conversation management. This is particularly effective against sheeple. This is why BHO uses certain cadence in his voice and speaking patterns.

"Just Words, Just Speeches."

05-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, he isn't that good of a public speaker. His speaking has been hyped in the press and media. He is using aspects of neurolinguistic programing which is a type of pursuasive conversation management. This is particularly effective against sheeple. This is why BHO uses certain cadence in his voice and speaking patterns.

LOL. They must have programmed him that way when he was trained to be a Manchurian candidate, probably while he was a little boy in a madrassah in Indonesia, when his teacher was Osama bin Laden himself.

Seriously, it is so obviously painful for conservatives after the past 8 years to see a President who gives press conference after press conference and is able to articulate answers in multiple logically connected sentences, without blinking, s******ing, and resorting to canned platitudes.
05-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #36
Site Supporter

It is really unfortunate that good words in the English language have been turned into derogatory comments and filth. Words like liberal and conservative have been turned into negative meanings with most on either side being totally ignorant of their true meaning. If one uses a term like "classic liberal" on them, they look like Bambi in the headlights of freight train.
05-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member

It is really unfortunate that good words in the English language have been turned into derogatory comments and filth. Words like liberal and conservative have been turned into negative meanings with most on either side being totally ignorant of their true meaning.
How true!
A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don’t know where I am."

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You’re in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet above a ground elevation of 2346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude."

She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be a Conservative."

"I am," replied the man.
"How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to do with your information, and I’m still lost. Frankly, you’ve not been much help to me."

The man smiled and responded, "You must be a Liberal."

"I am," replied the balloonist.
"How did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don’t know where you are or where you are going. You’ve risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You’re in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but, somehow, now it’s my fault."
QuoteOriginally posted by JavaJoe[/quote:
What's the difference between a liberal and a Rhesus Monkey?
One eats a banana and the other IS a banana.
Taxes: McCain will be better here while Obama is a tax-and-spend redistribute the wealth liberal.

05-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #38
Damn Brit

So how would you describe the former presidents speaking style Blue?
05-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #39
Site Supporter

So how would you describe the former presidents speaking style Blue?
Nixon was a caricature of himself when he said "I'm not a crook."

Jimmy Carter had a heavy south Georgia accent and liked to talk in the Rose Garden.

Ronnie Reagan often did the jokster thing that could be spontaneous and profound when it worked.

George H. W. Bush sounded a lot like Dana Carvey and tried to do the fire side chat style.

Bill "Slick Willy" Clinton had the muffled central Arkansas accent.

Dubya- Tried to do the average Joe thing.

However none of them tried to be something they weren't.
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
How true!

What is your point Joe? Are you cherry picking to make a point?

I guarantee you couldn't begin to guess how I voted in the past 7 presidential elections.
05-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #41
Damn Brit

Nixon was a caricature of himself when he said "I'm not a crook."

Jimmy Carter had a heavy south Georgia accent and liked to talk in the Rose Garden.

Ronnie Reagan often did the jokster thing that could be spontaneous and profound when it worked.

George H. W. Bush sounded a lot like Dana Carvey and tried to do the fire side chat style.

Bill "Slick Willy" Clinton had the muffled central Arkansas accent.

Dubya- Tried to do the average Joe thing.

However none of them tried to be something they weren't.
So basically you're saying that presidents put on a persona when they speak in public. What a revelation.

Except for Carter and Clinton that is, talking in the Rose Garden doesn't tell me a thing and you seem to imply the Clinton stuck to his roots. But you gave me more answer than I asked for anyway.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 05-02-2009 at 08:12 PM.
05-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter

So basically you're saying that presidents put on a persona when they speak in public. What a revelation.

Except for Carter and Clinton that is, talking in the Rose Garden doesn't tell me a thing and you seem to imply the Clinton stuck to his roots. But you gave me more answer than I asked for anyway.
I left out Jerry Ford because retrospectively I think he may have been the best President during my lifetime. I don't remember much about LBJ except his dogs. I was no where near old enough to vote, but I rooted for Jimmy against Reagan in 1980 but J.C. disappointed me by he candy ass response to the Persian situation.

The Rose Garden strategy got Carter beat in 1980. Jimmy Carter out of the rose garden: Out of the Rose Garden - TIME

Edit: I never said they put on a persona except for Nixon. He learned the hard way against JFK in 1960 to dress for the cameras.
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #43
Damn Brit

Have you ever thought that maybe he speaks the way he does because he's addressing everyone and he speaks that way to give the maximum amount of people the chance to understand?
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Have you ever thought that maybe he speaks the way he does because he's addressing everyone and he speaks that way to give the maximum amount of people the chance to understand?
I think he is still campaigning for his 2nd and 3rd terms.
05-03-2009, 05:29 AM   #45
Veteran Member

What is your point Joe? Are you cherry picking to make a point?

I guarantee you couldn't begin to guess how I voted in the past 7 presidential elections.
Why should I even try to guess? It doesn't matter in the least.

Going back to the discussion about Obama's oratory skills , it seems that the conservatives' official line has changed over the past year, going a bit like this:

June 2008: "Sure, he is a great public speaker, but that only works on those googly-eyed liberals. Wait until he has to convince no-nonsense, salt-of-the-earth Middle America, they're never gonna fall for it!"

January 2009: "Sure, he's a great public speaker, but that's just because he's very good at using the teleprompter. Wait until he has to answer complex questions on his feet, then his inexperience and intellectual deficiencies will show!"

May 2009: "Bah, he's not really that great of a speaker after all!"
Closed Thread