Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Im one of those who turn my response into a Pentax ad as well

06-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #62
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
At that point I just say, "Yes, yes I do." And leave it at that.

It's because it looks so exotic to them, probably. You see so little film cameras these days, that they probably just assume it's some professional contraption only millionaires can afford. Actually, they may have "Leica" embedded in their minds somewhere, also, and that old film camera looks like something they remember hearing was extremely expensive.

I dont know how it is in other places, but here I have never had anyone who didnt know what my film camera was. I have had plenty of people young and old ask me about it or what film im using, or just to say 'nice camera' but nothing like you describe. do people younger than me think film cameras are 'exotic'? the only person I have seen who was puzzled was a japanese tourist during the St. Patricks Day Parade. I was carrying my SV, MX & K-m. he was carrying some nikon. he got one look at me whipped back around and started saying something to his wife, while pointing at me. I just smiled and kept walking.
06-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Without reading all the posts I usually resopnd something like
QuoteQuote:
Yes, I have a couple of nice cameras. And I actually know how to use them
Oddly enough not too many people seem to believe that makes a difference.

I also get a kick out of some people saying they're photographs are never edited, and always turn out great.
Even before I started working part time in a lab I knew that they're machines do auto corrections, so unless you specify otherwise your printed photographs are always edited.
06-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
I always wondered why pentax dont put this in their professional models. It wouldnt cost much more and would allow me to get closer into the action without needing a longer lens... am i missing something?

Oh thats right, i have a computer dont i! silly me!

06-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife and I traveled early this week and met some friends for dinner. She had the Optio A40 I gave her as a birthday present a few months ago.

During the interlude between the main course and desert and coffee, just before the evening light began to fail, our wives remembered to take "the photographs."

As the ladies pulled their purse-cams out one of our friends commented to my wife, "Oh, you have a nice camera (as if to suggest, 'not a crappy camera') - maybe because my wife's is black.

It seems an interesting counterpoint on this thread; to some, appearances are all that matter.
06-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
And while cell phones have gotten a lot better in camera quality, they are still not a very good way to record special memories... Of course, I have a couple of pictures on my phone that show our son's college marching band. And a couple more that my wife took and sent to me from around Lake Tahoe (she was out having fun, I was sitting in a weeklong meeting talking software requirements...), so I can't be *too* hard on the cellphone types
It's a bit sad though. A cellphone might be able to record a special moment well enough to put the result on facebook...but something like a K10D with 40mm pancake lens (great for vacations, not bulky at all) would probably be able to record the same special moment well enough to blow up to an 8x10 and put on the mantlepiece.
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It seems an interesting counterpoint on this thread; to some, appearances are all that matter.
Walk into a camera department at a Wal-Mart or some such and look at what the major differences are between cameras that cost less than a couple hundred dollars.
Mostly, the biggest decision is the choice of colour.

06-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #68
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swordfishtrombone Quote
It's a bit sad though. A cellphone might be able to record a special moment well enough to put the result on facebook...but something like a K10D with 40mm pancake lens (great for vacations, not bulky at all) would probably be able to record the same special moment well enough to blow up to an 8x10 and put on the mantlepiece.
I have taken some shots with my iphone, which isnt exactly the best camera phone out there but the great thing about it is the ability to snap a photo and instantly email it to someone. So you can take a lot of "look where I am now" shots, which are especially fun when on vacation and other colleagues are working
06-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I hate it....it seams that those morrons think that the camera do the job, not you ! :S
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swordfishtrombone Quote
Well, the reason I have a couple of cell phone pics is so the phone has an interesting wallpaper image, not because it takes great pics... I *always* took my best camera to the games to capture the marching band. My little Powershot A80 before getting hte K100D, the K100 after that. And yes, the K100D has several 8x10 shots hanging on the walls of various relatives - band shots, graduation shots, that sort of thing.

It's not sad that I used a cellphone camera, it's merely a different purpose. I use many tools, each for purposes I feel best.

Jim
06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Had someone tell me I had a small pro kamera, all the others pro kameras where so big (canon nikon). And she asked me why not all wanted a small pro kamera instead of those big bulky ones

Pentax 1 Big cameras 0
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I have taken some shots with my iphone, which isnt exactly the best camera phone out there but the great thing about it is the ability to snap a photo and instantly email it to someone. So you can take a lot of "look where I am now" shots, which are especially fun when on vacation and other colleagues are working

My wife sent this to me from her iphone the day before yesterday:

QuoteQuote:
He insisted on wearing this once he woke up, even though it was a hard wake-up,
would completely lose it if I started to come near it and he kept pushing it
down on his head. I had a hard time not laughing non stop.

My wife captures a lot of moments with her iphone that are precious to both
of us - I'm really grateful for that crappy little camera and lens in there.

06-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I don't think I had ever really experienced these types of contents until a recent road trip I took through Utah and its national parks.

Most of the comments came after asking a few people to take photos of my wife and I with my k10d.

The gist of some comments were:

"This must be a professional camera"... in response to having to use the viewfinder instead of the LCD

"What kind of film does your camera take"... they never knew there were dSLRs

"That camera must take fantastic pictures... it is so heavy"

I received others, but I just nod and go on. People don't know what to say, and I am not sure what I would say either. You don't really get to see the photos, nor do they, and I really think people are complimenting you, the photographer, because they assume you have to be a pro to actually have a dSLR (even though I am no where close to being a pro).

Regardless, I really don't care what others think as I am happy with what I get out of that camera, and the equipment has given me images I was never able to get with my old P&S and on a par with my old film SLR.

Last, I cringe as well at people who use camera phones, and as I found at many of these national parks, people who take photos out their windows or moving the car around to get the "right" shot without actually stopping the car or bothering to get out. You wouldn't believe how many people go through view points at some of these canyons and drive on because they couldn't see what the view was... i.e. you actually had to get out to see the site but from the car it looked like everything else so they move one.

Enough ranting... sorry for going a bit off topic there, but I love reading everyone's responses and comments.
06-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
My wife sent this to me from her iphone the day before yesterday:

My wife captures a lot of moments with her iphone that are precious to both
of us - I'm really grateful for that crappy little camera and lens in there.

Judging by his expression, I think only you and your wife think shots like this are precious. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. BTW, I think it's a pretty good picture.
06-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #75
Inactive Account

My uncle usually busts my chops at family function, particularly if I bring the P&S, he'll say something along the lines of "why didn't you bring the BIG camera?"

I did get a compliment from my cousin's wife the other day, I had taken some photos of their kids playing with my kids with my Sigma 18-200 on the K20D and she was astute enough to just ask what kind of lens I was using because some were at the long end and some were at the short end, so when I told her it had the 18-200 range she was impressed and understood. Too bad I didn't have a Bigma to show her.....

I guess I'll take any compliment I can get, even if it's about my gear rather than about my skill (little that there is).

For me, I sum it up like this: A photo of a thumb with a $5000 camera is not as good as a well composed photo with a disposable camera. But if you can avoid the thumb altogether you'll have two nice photos.