Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photog posting a photo of my photo for sale..

Hi all,
So I was at an agility trail last weekend where my wife and dog competed (see post in photo section). It was the 1st even for my wife and I of course took photos. One of the photos of my dog I printed up at home and stuck to a poster board and hung his ribbons he got on it. It was just a fun thing to do and brought it the next day to the event to put where the group of us was hanging out.

Anyway the photog at the event was walking around taking photos and saw the photo/poster board. She said "Oh, that is nice" and took a photo of my photo. I thought it was a little strange but figured she was just taking candids to put on the host webiste or something. Well she posted her photos on her commercial website and there was the shot of my little photo/poster board setup.

Now, it isn't a very good photo.. it actually looks out of focus a little bit but at the same time I'm a little perturbed that she would post it for sale. I mean I don't think anyone is going to buy it because my wife and I would be the only ones who would care about it but it still seems strange.

I just wanted to vent to you guys

Thanks
John

04-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Do more than vent. Issue a DMCA takedown notice to her ISP.
04-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Isn't this just a case of your picture happening to be in a place where photography was allowed. I know that doesn't seem fair to you but that's the way it is, it doesn't sound like she's trying to take credit for your picture.
How about posting a link for us. I'd be happy to post a negative (not rude) comment suggesting that she take it down or at least give you and your dog some credit for the achievement.

Have you asked her by the way John?
04-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Isn't this just a case of your picture happening to be in a place where photography was allowed. I know that doesn't seem fair to you but that's the way it is, it doesn't sound like she's trying to take credit for your picture.
How about posting a link for us. I'd be happy to post a negative (not rude) comment suggesting that she take it down or at least give you and your dog some credit for the achievement.

Have you asked her by the way John?
I haven't asked yet.. I was trying to decide if I should or not. It isn't like she is trying to reproduce my photo or anything as it is clearly on the poster board with the ribbons on it (and it is not a very good photo by her IMO). Even if she crops it to just the photo the ribbons are hanging over it. I don't want to make a bigger deal about then it is. I guess I just think it is bad taste

John

04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I haven't asked yet.. I was trying to decide if I should or not. It isn't like she is trying to reproduce my photo or anything as it is clearly on the poster board with the ribbons on it (and it is not a very good photo by her IMO). Even if she crops it to just the photo the ribbons are hanging over it. I don't want to make a bigger deal about then it is. I guess I just think it is bad taste

John
Why not try and make the best of it and ask her to put your dog's name (and yours if you want) prominently below the picture.
You could even offer to send her a copy as long as you get the credit.
I have to say, it doesn't say much about her if she's posting photographs of other peoples photographs on her site.

Congratulations to Ash and yourself by the way.
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congratulations to Ash and yourself by the way.
Thanks All of it goes to my wife and Ash though.. I'm just there in support and photo taking

Here is a link to the photos of the event.. I'll leave judgment to the quality of her work to others

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=4699603

John

Last edited by palmor; 04-30-2009 at 08:33 PM.
04-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wait, people get paid for photos like those?

04-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Judged and found wanting.

I bet she's making a packet out of people who don't know better though.
Maybe the DA can bring her up on RICO charges.

John, my concern would be that she could be making money out of her poor picture of your picture. I wouldn't worry though, the only person likely to buy a copy would be your wife and I'm sure you won't let her do that.

I correct my previous congratulations. Congratulations to Ash and your talented wife.
04-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Judged and found wanting.

I bet she's making a packet out of people who don't know better though.
Maybe the DA can bring her up on RICO charges.

John, my concern would be that she could be making money out of her poor picture of your picture. I wouldn't worry though, the only person likely to buy a copy would be your wife and I'm sure you won't let her do that.

I correct my previous congratulations. Congratulations to Ash and your talented wife.
Thanks again

While we are talking about it here are all the photos I took for the day. A lot of them are of people/dogs that were in our group and I have a few requests for photos which is nice
CPE Agility Trial April 25-26, 2009 Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com

and a video of my wife and Ash
YouTube - 20090423112609

John
04-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel your photos are more colorful and better composed if that helps!
05-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's the photo in question:
PhotoReflect - Petart by Cindy Telley

And I agree yours were better...this photographer's look more like snapshots (no surprise when you notice there's a typo on her about us page ;-).
That said, your photo w/ the ribbons was in a public place, so I doubt you have any legal recourse... :-P
05-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
I feel your photos are more colorful and better composed if that helps!
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

And I agree yours were better...this photographer's look more like snapshots (no surprise when you notice there's a typo on her about us page ;-).
That said, your photo w/ the ribbons was in a public place, so I doubt you have any legal recourse... :-P
Thanks for the compliments Kenyee and Pentaxtic I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she'd clean them up before she sold them.. maybe she posts poor thumbnails so people don't try to print the page.

I agree, I doubt she's done anything illegal by posting the photo. I think it was just in bad taste to post and to not even ask when I was standing right next to it. But maybe that is just me

John
05-01-2009, 05:31 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

Actually, that looks very much like a copyright violation to me, especially since it's for sale.
05-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, that looks very much like a copyright violation to me, especially since it's for sale.
You may have a point there, it could possibly be considered to be reproduction which is covered by copyright laws but on the other hand , it is a picture of a picture, not a reproduction.

Judging by her work though, taking any action would be a bit like beating up a blind person.

I'm not usually that spiteful but she does have a nerve passing that stuff off as professional work. But if people want to buy it, that's down to them.
05-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A picture of a picture is a derivative work, and the copyright of the original work still stands.

The woman has copyright to her derivative work, but can make no use of it without permission of the holder of the copyright of the original work. John doesn't lose his copyright merely by having posted his photo in a public place.