Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
General questions on copyrights, selling, permits etc

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. I know this is a very broad topic, and it varies from country to country, from state to state and maybe even from city to city. But I'm trying to get general guidance here.
I know that I am the owner of the copyrights of my pictures. But, if I want to sell a print, in what circumstances do I need permissions? Let me get a few examples:
If I take pictures in a zoo, I need some sort of release from them (zoo administration, not the tigers themselves ) if I want to sell prints.
I have taken may pictures of landmarks, buildings, old houses, landscapes and other public places. Can I sell prints to tourists?
How about if I take pictures of show cars, or airplanes or race cars? Both in public and in paying admission events.
Sometimes simply asking and maybe giving a free copy may be enough but not always.
Are there any general rules for this? I am by no means a pro nor I intend to make a living out if this. But I'm sitting on a ton of images and maybe I can make a few cents to support my LBA....

Thanks,

05-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Dom

These are just guide line by no means take this as the law.
I can't really comment on US law but if your just selling prints there is no real need for any releases.

If it's a public building you don't need a release, the same applies to landmarks.

It's mostly to do with copyright, if there is no copyright (intellectual property rights) there shouldn't be a problem.

Over here in Blighty photographers are constantly battling with over zealous and misinformed security and police. Apparently we are all terrorist.
05-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
That is a complicated topic. I believe it depends largely on the use of the image, less than the mere fact that it is sold. eg, you can definitely sell any of those to a newspaper for editorial work without a release. You may be able to sell them for advertising without a release. I'm still pretty hazy on whether you could sell them as fine art or not.

Dan Heller has written extensively about this stuff. The articles are looong, but at least he has a clue what he's talking about. There are lots more in the left navbar too.