Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My photographer buddy got back with me and has given me a great deal on a new system, so no Gateway or Dell for me. It'll be a system that I'll be able to grow with for a while--XP64, 4GB RAM (expandable to 8GB), Intel Dual Core processor, 320GB hard drive (I keep most of my pics on an external drive, anyhow), DVD-RW. All I'll need to add is a new keyboard (I already have a good monitor and mouse) and I'll be set.

Heather

05-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
My photographer buddy got back with me and has given me a great deal on a new system, so no Gateway or Dell for me. It'll be a system that I'll be able to grow with for a while--XP64, 4GB RAM (expandable to 8GB), Intel Dual Core processor, 320GB hard drive (I keep most of my pics on an external drive, anyhow), DVD-RW. All I'll need to add is a new keyboard (I already have a good monitor and mouse) and I'll be set.

Heather
It had better be darn cheap. XP64 is nearly useless right now, because most manufacturers don't have driver support yet, and some applications refuse to run on 64-bit systems.

For all the HDD and RAM it has, a Dual Core processor is really weak. Or is it an Intel Core 2 Duo and you've just written it differently? (what series is it, if I may ask?)

The HDD better not be Hitachi

If you have a complete listing of all the components, I would love to take a look at it.
05-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Dan,
I've got the specs, but they're at home and I'm at work right now.

As for the 64-bit thing, the main reason I'm going with that is the amount of RAM that I'm going to be dealing with--32 bit won't support more than 3GB of RAM. As long as Lightroom will run on it and my printer will work with it, I'm OK.

Heather
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Are you completely sure you'll even need more than 3 GB at this moment? Lightroom takes 300 MB tops. The only use I find for more RAM is Vista's eyecandy and running multiple apps at the same time.

And just to demonstrate how far RAM will go - Photoshop, Lightroom 1.4, Fireworks and Firefox (plus the usual odds-and-ends like Winamp and ObjectDock) running at the same time on 1.5 GB of DDR400 running at 333 MHz.
If I wanted faster access time and such, I'd invest in a couple of Velociraptors and make a RAID array.