Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Well, it is certainly taking SF for a stretch round the block. The SF elements are mostly backdrop, but they are pivotal to the novel as a whole, especially the splintered authorship that becomes the main device in the last third of the book. That's right in line with sixties/seventies psychological SF. The fact that the key hard SF element is so buried only makes it more powerful.

Love Nova, Babel-17, etc. as well. And if there is a better story than "Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones" I don't know what it is.
Yeah, agreed. Driftglass is a near-perfect collection. And then there's the fun literary-theory-disguised-as-fantasy of the Neveryon books. Delany and Wolfe are pretty much my SF heroes.

05-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All philosophising aside...

It's an excellent movie which has a very high potential to re-energize the Star Trek universe.

Mike
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #78
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My wife and I saw it yesterday and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it. As a Trekker who has every episode of the original series and every episode of Enterprise along with Gene Roddenberry's autograph, I was quite satisfied with the treatment in relation to the original series with the exception of killing off Spock's mother. Didn't like that. And I personally thought Nimoy did add something to the film.

I was also sad to learn, while looking up something online, that Majel Barrett Roddenberry (Number One in the rejected first pilot - The Cage, Nurse Chapel - TOS, Troi's mother - TNG and Computer Voice in all the series) died of leukemia in December.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 05-19-2009 at 11:28 AM.
05-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #79
BPT
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yep, exactly.

On a related note: too bad Dollhouse is gonna get cancelled. Was a mostly great start, much like Firefly.
Dollhouse has been renewed, 13 episodes next season. Though a change of direction has been requested whatever that means for the show.

And for the star trek movie. I found it enjoyable, anyone else see the tribble?

05-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
Dollhouse has been renewed, 13 episodes next season. Though a change of direction has been requested whatever that means for the show.

And for the star trek movie. I found it enjoyable, anyone else see the tribble?
I was hoping to jinx the cancellation. Looked like it worked!
05-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #81
Veteran Member

on another side note Chuck also got picked up for 13 episodes. However both NBC and FOX suck balls at keeping good shows on the air so I'm guessing we are going to see the last 13 episodes from both Chuck and Dollhouse. Also Medium was not picked up by NBC and Fox did not pick up Sarah Conor Chronicles.
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #82
BPT
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
on another side note Chuck also got picked up for 13 episodes. However both NBC and FOX suck balls at keeping good shows on the air so I'm guessing we are going to see the last 13 episodes from both Chuck and Dollhouse. Also Medium was not picked up by NBC and Fox did not pick up Sarah Conor Chronicles.
Medium is moving to CBS and it will air the slot after Ghost whisperer. Sarah Conor Chronicals I think is going to one of the sci-fi channels.

Can you tell I watch too much TV?

05-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Sarah Connor Chronicles is waaaay to expensive for SciFi (sorry, SyFy) to do it right (unless they throw everything at it like they did with BSG).
05-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I'm just hoping Fringe will stay around... wait a min... Fringe was created by JJ Abrams and has time travel and weird pseudo-science in it... which means it will be a huge hit and stay around for a while!
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Sarah Connor Chronicles is waaaay to expensive for SciFi (sorry, SyFy) to do it right (unless they throw everything at it like they did with BSG).
BSG came with the cost of WWE and the most horrendous Saturday Night Movies ever produced...
05-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There's a sequel planned.
05-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
I was also sad to learn, while looking up something online, that Majel Barrett Roddenberry (Number One in the rejected first pilot - The Cage, Nurse Chapel - TOS, Troi's mother - TNG and Computer Voice in all the series) died of leukemia in December.

CW
Oh my... did not hear about this in Aus. Very sad that she's passed. What a fabulous contributor to the franchise she was.
05-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She died right after doing her lines as the computer voice in the new movie.
05-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I think it was a few months after.